PDA

View Full Version : R12RT and bungies

05-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Just bought a R12RT after 24 years on a K100RT (gee, RT's have gotten better in the last 24 years!). I'm a camper and I've always loaded a lot of stuff on the back for long trips. The new rear rack is not designed for bungie cords. So, what are people using to tie things on the back? :scratch

WDaigle
05-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Just bought a R12RT after 24 years on a K100RT (gee, RT's have gotten better in the last 24 years!). I'm a camper and I've always loaded a lot of stuff on the back for long trips. The new rear rack is not designed for bungie cords. So, what are people using to tie things on the back? :scratch

ROK or Henlen Two Wheels type straps work just fine for me. I use both.

05-12-2009, 02:17 PM
I use ratchet straps to secure the large duffel bag(color matched to the bike of course) for the camping gear; wrap the metal hooks in clear vinyl tube to prevent scratches. Recently bought bungees with hard plastic hooks at one of the large auto parts chains, works well for the smaller, lighter packs.

05-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I used rope to tie on a dry bag last weekend, but here's what I am used to.

RTST
05-12-2009, 02:31 PM
BMR makes a rear shelf for the RT that covers the rear seat but of course it will not work for you if you ride two up, although it removes easily when seat use is needed.
Larry

05-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Larry, the BMR shelf is exactly what I'm looking for - lots of tie-down points and more space to hold stuff. Thanks for the reply.

PlaneGeek
05-12-2009, 05:05 PM
ROK or Henlen Two Wheels type straps work just fine for me. I use both.

+1 on the ROK straps. I love those things!

tourbike
05-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Bungee straps should not be used. Many eyeballs are permanently damaged each year by them. If you just have to use them, put the furthest end on first and pull the second hook towards you.

nplenzick
05-14-2009, 02:09 AM
Rok straps are definitely the way to go!

james
05-14-2009, 06:22 PM
FWIIW, I would avoid bungee straps at all costs. The first issue is the eye damage, the second is they are difficult to get secure because of their elasticity, and finally as the load shifts they tend to roll along over top of the load. I second the vote for H2Ws straps. The D rings make for a very secure attachment point between the two separate straps. I have been using her packing system on several bikes and have never had an issue with a strap breaking, slipping, or rolling on the load.

Jim in GA

TechRider
05-17-2009, 03:26 PM
I just purchased the BMR shelf a few weeks ago, mounted it to the bike in about 15 minutes, and took off for a half day ride. Nothing on the shelf for this ride except a small briefcase as I wanted to get some confidence in it before I piled a bunch of camping gear on. As expected it worked great. No I just need to find some time to go camping.