PDA

View Full Version : '09 R12RT Search Challenged Rookie Questions

SPOKESMAN
05-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Taking the bike in tomorrow for its 600 mile service. Will ask the dealer, who has been great, these same questions, but would like to hear some other opinions. This is my first BMW, first boxer and first big twin, which may account for many of these questions.

What's normal idle speed? Mine idles at about 1100 rpm, which is higher than I would have guessed.
At idle, the bike vibrates pretty good, and the windscreen shakes noticeably. Is this normal? It smooths out at anything above idle.
Where can I get a detailed maintenance schedule? The Owner's Manual is pretty basic.
Where can I get a shop manual? I've seen the $110 +/- Factory Repair Manual on CD advertised. Is it any good? Are there other options? Sure is pricey, but I've already accepted, with BMW, if you want to play, you gotta pay.

I like to do the routine maintenance stuff at home, fluid/filter changes, valve adjustment and the like. Is there a BMW campaign to steer such routine maintenance work to the dealers? I've had Japanese bikes and large 4-stroke Japanese outboard motors, and the above-described types of information seem to be much more readily available.

Thanks in advance for patience and any help with these tedious questions.

Madhatter
05-11-2009, 05:56 PM
What's normal idle speed? Mine idles at about 1100 rpm, which is higher than I would have guessed.

I had an 07 RT, and my idle was about 1100 rpm--sounds right to me.

At idle, the bike vibrates pretty good, and the windscreen shakes noticeably. Is this normal? It smooths out at anything above idle.

Same with mine.

Where can I get a detailed maintenance schedule? The Owner's Manual is pretty basic.

A&S Cycles (http://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules.a spx)has them (can't swear they are the most current), some dealers also have a schedule on their web sites (link (http://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/En/model.php?model=R1200RT)).

Where can I get a shop manual? I've seen the $110 +/- Factory Repair Manual on CD advertised. Is it any good? Are there other options? Sure is pricey, but I've already accepted, with BMW, if you want to play, you gotta pay.

No experience with this. I got a $25.00 DVD from Jim von Baden (http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BMW_R1200_MAINTENANCE_DVD&Category_Code=BMW_R1200GS_MAINTENANCE_VIDEO). Nicely done DVD, but I haven't used it extensively so won't vouch for it. It's available from Adventure Workshop (http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/). Here's a quotation from their site:

Jim's video covers the following categories, and is designed to allow you to complete all the requirements for maintaining your bike to BMW specifications. It is designed for ALL R1200 series motorcycles (Not including the R1200 cruisers), though it is centered around the R1200GS.

Removing Gas Tank
Changing the Oil
Replace the Transmission Fluid
Changing the Final Drive Gear Oil
Valve Adjustment
Air Filter Change
Brake Bleeding, servo-ABS system
Replace Alternator Belt
Fuel Tank Install
Fault Code Read
Throttle Body Sync
Miscellaneous Checks

Happy wrenching! :thumb

rts4me
05-11-2009, 08:05 PM
The Riders Manual states idle speed as 1150rpm, plus or minus 50rpm.

My windscreen shakes too!

I bought a 'RepROM' manual from Ebay, but I think it's copy, it was so cheap......

Jim von Badens site is an excellent source of servicing info.

lionheart33
05-11-2009, 09:45 PM
I just rolled past 10,000 miles on my 2007 RT. It may be my imagination, but I think my engine rides smoother and better now than during my first few thousand miles but there is some vibration at idle. I have had the 600 mile service and two annual services done at my local dealer. I have not had any problems, no need for valve adjustment, and no oil consumption between changes. I replaced the original Michelin Pilot Roads with Michelin Pilot Road 2's at about 8,000 with the front being replaced first. I removed the wheels and had the tires removed installed and balanced. Once the warranty is out I am not sure what work I will do myself and what work I will have the dealer do, but so far I think the costs have been reasonable at the dealer and I appreciate having a set of professional eyes checking things out.

mpmarty
05-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Lion you say "no need for valve adjustment". Were the covers pulled and feeler gauges applied?

deilenberger
05-13-2009, 02:09 PM

You might spend a bit of time looking at the Hexhead DIY/Tech Library. Free even - and some excellent writeups of common service procedures - fully illustrated. More to come..

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44

SPOKESMAN
05-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Thank you all that responded. Great site.

alzyck
05-13-2009, 04:30 PM

Only shop manual I've seen is the DVD version. I negotiated for the factory DVD as part of my bike purchase. I also have the JVB DVD. The JVB DVD is really good for showing you how to do the work. The factory DVD has the best listing of steps (e.g. step 1, step 2, etc.) along with listing all the torque values.

The problem I have with the factory DVD is there is no way to get TSB updates without repurchasing a new DVD. Seems a little cheap (or expensive depending on perspective) to me.

lionheart33
05-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Lion you say "no need for valve adjustment". Were the covers pulled and feeler gauges applied?

What they said was that they checked the valves for adjustment, and I specifically asked during during each annual visit. I don't know if they actually pulled the cover and used feeler gauges, I don't know if there is another way to do it, but I will be more specific during my next visit. One issue I have is no longer having the opportunity to talk directly to mechanics for auto or bike service, but that another issue. However, the engine runs fine, to me it runs better today than when new. I can easily average 50+ mpg now, mixed use compared to about 48 mpg during the first year. I know a number of factors can affect MPG, but nothing is telling me I have a problem. I actually expected measurable oil consumption between changes and needing to frequently do valve adjustments.

What are the symptoms of a bike needing a valve adjustment?
How frequently do you adjust the valves on your bike?

markgoodrich
05-19-2009, 10:06 PM
http://www.haynes.com/products/sfID1/8/sfID2/9/sfID3/14/productID/532

Have not read it.