PDA

View Full Version : I found one thing the bike does not do well

JT_R1200RT
05-11-2009, 05:29 AM
I got stuck in an emergency road closure today with a 1/2 mile of two lane traffic being diverted down a side road, this bike is painful in stop and go traffic with cars inching along in 10 foot bursts. I was blocked in, cops were using both the inside and outside shoulder areas. It didn't take long before I realized it was easier to shut the bike down, make the cars behind me wait, move up when about 5 car lengths opened ahead, then shut the bike down again.

:sick

R80RTJohnny
05-11-2009, 09:42 AM
I fully agree. Well said.

Semper_Fi
05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Been caught in bad creeping traffic a few times and other than some arm pump (clutch side) was no big deal.

YMMV :lurk

hlothery
05-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Have experienced the same. My solution to overheating was to have a RT/P fan installed on my RT oil cooler. It has a manual switch on the handlebars, and I turn it on if I get stopped for any length of time. Have used it 4-5 times since installed. Works well so far.

Now......if I just had one of those cool suits they use in racing!:cry

greenwald
05-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Have experienced the same. My solution to overheating was to have a RT/P fan installed on my RT oil cooler. It has a manual switch on the handlebars, and I turn it on if I get stopped for any length of time. Have used it 4-5 times since installed. Works well so far.

DITTO. Had the cooling fan installed, and now use that option to avoid over-heating issues.

markgoodrich
05-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Here you go, Hugh: http://www.veskimo.com/servlet/StoreFront

hlothery
05-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Here you go, Hugh: http://www.veskimo.com/servlet/StoreFront

Man.....that looks pretty cool! And for about the same price I paid to keep the bike cool. Im thinkin'........I'm thinkin'. :D

JT_R1200RT
05-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Oh yeah forgot to mention, the other great joy of this situation was it was on a farily steep section of freeway with a long up hill climb, no just pulling the clutch in and keeping the bike rolling forward.

Semper_Fi
05-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Mis-read your post :banghead

I thought you were talking about riding fatigue not overheating.

Note to self - take less meds!

marchyman
05-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Mis-read your post :banghead

I thought you were talking about riding fatigue not overheating.

Note to self - take less meds!

Did you misread his post? Nowhere was overheating of rider or bike mentioned. Just exactly what does

This bike is painful in stop and go traffic ...

mean, anyway? My guess is that he's talking about the pain in his left hand from all that clutch holding/releasing. :dunno

// marc

akbeemer
05-11-2009, 11:57 PM
.... for about the same price I paid to keep the bike cool.....

What did the fan + installation cost, please?

JT_R1200RT
05-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Sorry to be clearer, the bike was a handful lurching it forward on a up hill climb only 10-15 feet at a time, then stopping for 2-3 minutes, then lurching it forward for another car length and repeating the cycle. Also it shook pretty good when trying to accelerate it that slowly.

JT

STAN
05-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Nothing like having a first gear ratio that is too high. Been there done that. It's a lot more fun two up with bags packed. Love the RT but it was designed for the Autobahn.

Semper_Fi
05-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Rereading all the posts - i still would have guessed it was about driver fatigue and not overheating. It doesn't matter.

For the lurching issue in tight stop and go traffic I clutch slip a little while feathering the rear brake - seems to work well (for me)

However I don't do it for too long, if the traffic doesn't open up after a while I will let give myself room while the car ahead pulls up.

Tom K.
05-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Nothing like having a first gear ratio that is too high. Been there done that. It's a lot more fun two up with bags packed. Love the RT but it was designed for the Autobahn.

Agreed. With an idle speed of about 8~9 miles per hour in 1st, it's hard to understand why different ratios for both 1st and 2nd weren't chosen. Lowering 1st by about 20% and 2nd by about 10% would make the bike so much nicer in urban situations, to say nothing of the occasional gravel road.
Tom

blongb
05-15-2009, 03:46 AM
100% agree. Can't figure out why BMW has the first two gears set up the way they do....... Sure would be a treat to have them lowered....

greenwald
05-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Rereading all the posts - i still would have guessed it was about driver fatigue and not overheating. It doesn't matter.

For the lurching issue in tight stop and go traffic I clutch slip a little while feathering the rear brake - seems to work well (for me)

However I don't do it for too long, if the traffic doesn't open up after a while I will let give myself room while the car ahead pulls up.

Actually, you're right - it was about operator fatigue. We just hijacked the thread and went off on the 'cooling tangent.'

With all this piracy in the news lately, a bunch of us couldn't resist!

Or maybe we're just A.D.D. candidates.

Oh look...........a chicken!:stick

SPOKESMAN
05-15-2009, 03:52 PM
And for tight corners, 2nd gear is too tall, unless you want to fan the clutch on exit, and shifting down into first is a pain, because of the major clunk.

Love the bike otherwise, though.

Semper_Fi
05-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Actually, you're right - it was about operator fatigue. We just hijacked the thread and went off on the 'cooling tangent.'

Much relief!!

I thought it was another test i failed miserably - back to the bar!!

:bar

bogthebasher
05-16-2009, 01:54 AM
Thought it was just me! Okay so let's stay on the open road... yeah, I've found myself getting twitchy on the morning commute as well - sometimes that left hand gets mightly sore waiting in a long line of cages. Because it was the day before the long weekend this morning I blasted up the Deerfoot (our in-city-slab) on the way to work; what a relief! This bike just starts to breath at 120kmh.:clap

ROGSLATER
05-17-2009, 06:28 PM

Could you please advise the part number of the fan. Looking at the parts list there appear to be two versions. My application would be 05 R1200RT
Many thanks
Roger

ROGSLATER
05-17-2009, 08:20 PM
100% agree. Can't figure out why BMW has the first two gears set up the way they do....... Sure would be a treat to have them lowered....

The very high 1st and second gear ratio is for the racer image and the motorcycle press.
The ratio choice and the change quality on my 86 R80RT are way superior to my R1200RT. The 80 is like a hot knife through butter.
Roger