PDA

View Full Version : Bar riser options for the R1200GS Adventure

Madhatter
05-11-2009, 03:37 AM
I did a search and didn't come up with much, so I hope y'all don't mind a new thread on the subject of bar risers.

I think I need to put some risers on my '09 GSA--I'm 6'4" and end up leaning forward with the stock set-up, especially when standing on the pegs.

There are several different risers on the market, but the Rox Risers have caught my attention because of their adjustability. I have two concerns: 1) Are these secure? It looks like they are held in place just by friction. 2) Can the Rox risers be used with the original cables? The brake and clutch cables can be re-routed, but the throttle cable looks a little tight to accommodate the 2.25" change.

Anyone have recommendations for other bar risers or experience with the Rox risers?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

tyler73
05-11-2009, 07:09 AM
ROX risers :clap

Now for the important step...

Undo the throttle cable from the bar end. Re-route under the bars to get the slack if needed. The cable will have too much slack this way but a simple zip-tie to the brake line where the electronics are already tied. This takes 2 minutes.

The ROX install guide says the throttle cable change is not required... BS:nono

Madhatter
05-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks Tyler. Any trick to removing the throttle cable? This bike is new and I've never had to mess with a throttle cable before. It seems pretty clear to me that it will need to be routed under the bars to accomodate a 2.25" change in position. :nod

marchyman
05-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Instead of removing the throttle cable think about dropping a slider to move the cables.

Remove cap, hold flat under upper clamp and loosen bolt. Drop slider, route cable, pull up slider, torque bolt appropriately.

Madhatter
05-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Instead of removing the throttle cable think about dropping a slider to move the cables.

I'm not sure I understand. Actually, I'm sure I don't understand. I new to this, so please forgive my ignorance.

I attached a picture of the 'problem':

http://rotte.smugmug.com/photos/534315506_WxQe5-L.jpg

It looks like the throttle cable will be to short once the Rox Risers are installed. I think the solution will be to re-route the cable below/under the handle bars. In the picture you can see the cable lying behind the brake fluid reservoir and crossing over the top of the bars.

I'm not sure what a 'slider' is or if it applies to this situation. I think I may have to re-route the clutch and brake cables to be in front of the forks, but I think this can be done by loosening the forks. The throttle cable seems to require removal--but if there is another way, I'd rather do that. I've tried to get in contact with the supplier, but just get voice mail....

Can anyone help me on this?

marchyman
05-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Ooops. :blush

My error. You wrote "throttle" and I read "brake". Never mind!

// marc

Madhatter
05-16-2009, 08:04 PM
I installed Rox risers on my '09 GSA. The installation was pretty straightforward. I did move the brake/clutch cables in front of the forks. Also removed the throttle cable from the handlebar and rerouted it under the bars as Tyler suggested. The throttle cable is easily accessible once the cover is removed and comes right out. No worries.

The Rox risers move the bars up or back about 2". The nice thing about these risers is that they are just about infinitely adjustable. They don't look great, but they seem to work really well. In the new position I sit more upright (comfortable). When standing on the pegs, the bars are much more comfortable. :thumb

http://rotte.smugmug.com/photos/537878448_A8bky-M.jpg