PDA

View Full Version : Is my ESA Toast?

ADIFW
05-10-2009, 10:08 PM
I can't adjust the spring preload.

Damping cycles through the settings with no problem. The preload however is stuck on 2 helmets.

This is a new WP shock

any suggestions?

greenwald
05-10-2009, 10:34 PM
When I had problems with my ESA 'freezing up,' the solution was for the dealer to re-boot it with their computer software.

Worked.

ADIFW
05-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks a bunch!
That is much better news than i was expecting:clap

Especially since i just dropped a bunch of cash on some Works Performance shocks.

marchyman
05-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Thanks a bunch!
That is much better news than i was expecting:clap

Especially since i just dropped a bunch of cash on some Works Performance shocks.

I suspect that changing shocks changes the entire situation. I'd guess that BMW is going to say "it works (or worked) with the stock shocks, it's your problem". Don't know what Works Performance is going to say, but I think I'd check with them first.

I'm curious... why pay a bunch for the fancy BMW suspension and then put an after marker damper on the bike? Is the Works Performance guaranteed to interoperate with whatever BMW puts on the bike to adjust the suspension?

ADIFW
05-11-2009, 08:08 PM
I suspect that changing shocks changes the entire situation. I'd guess that BMW is going to say "it works (or worked) with the stock shocks, it's your problem". Don't know what Works Performance is going to say, but I think I'd check with them first.

I'm curious... why pay a bunch for the fancy BMW suspension and then put an after marker damper on the bike? Is the Works Performance guaranteed to interoperate with whatever BMW puts on the bike to adjust the suspension?

As a reply to your curiosity ... I didn't purchase my bike from a dealer. So, i didn't have the luxury of deciding which fancy doo-dads I was gonna over pay for. :D My bike, (a fully loaded 05 1200RT) was purchased with only 4k on the clock. It was purchased well within a year of its production date and sold by someone who loved the bike but hated the fact that he was too short for it. I got a heck of a deal on a bike that was still under warranty. Had I purchased from a dealer, I probably would have done without the ESA or the radio/cd player.

In regard to replacing the shocks... 43,000 fun filled miles later... the stock BMW shocks were garbage. I needed to replace them, my choices were aftermarket with no esa e.g. (Ohlin's, WP or any other after market) OR, ESA compatible e.g., bmw replacement or the WP upgrade. I really like the functionality and convenience of the ESA system.
I chose the WP upgrade ... they are 100% compatible with ESA.

Semper_Fi
05-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Keep us posted on the resolution.

Interested in seeing what either BMW or Works has to say or how they support you.

Good luck either way!

mistral
05-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Dude, you are pretty big, stuck on two helmets might be the way to go:D

Ron

norton
05-21-2009, 02:14 PM
How is your ESA working after you addressed it? Do you like the WP shocks?

ADIFW
05-22-2009, 03:14 AM
SO, last Sat. I took my bike to FW BMW for a diagnostic on my esa craptuation.

They hooked it up the their computer and it told them that I the software on my zfe(?) needed to be reinstalled. (a process that would take approx. 45 minutes)

FWIW, during my wait I had a chance to talk with Brad the tech that was working on my bike. He mentioned that at least on one occasion he had seen that an esa shock had gotten "stuck" and that the esa system wasn't getting enough power to unstick the shock so they worked around it by supplying power directly from the battery... otherwise i would need to replace the shock.. that conversation ended when i revealed that the shocks on my bike were brand new. Brad was a great guy and i had a pleasant conversation with him about several bike related topics. It was however, apparent that he wasn't sure that my WP shocks would even function with the ESA system. Even after I assured him that they were in fact 100% compatible.

45 minutes later... my machine was parked in front, the esa adjustment display was working accordingly.

On SUnday i spent the better part of the day on the bike testing all the settings.
To be quite honest, it had been about 8 or 9 weeks since I had ridden my bike so I wasn't sure what to expect OR how much of a difference there would be between the various settings.

since then I have commuted to work both on the slab and city roads. and after a few days back in the saddle I think that I am discerning a clear difference between the damping settings. At the moment I am thinking that i still need to dial in the preload. I plan to do some more riding in this weekend.. more testing.

DocZ
06-03-2009, 09:01 PM
would cycle thru damping but not adj pre load. Quick dealer visit cured - bike computer. No charge, no big deal. Working perfectly 4-5 months since visit.

No biggie. Greatest bike since sliced bread which is the greatest thing since itself - as AB would say...

lensuz
06-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Dude, you are pretty big, stuck on two helmets might be the way to go:D

Ron

This statement is not bad advise, although not about anyone being pretty big. But, just because the display indicates one helmet, one plus luggage, etc., doesn't mean that one has to select preload based on the display. Ride on the setting that fits your conditions and offers the best feel, control, etc. :thumb

johntena
06-10-2009, 12:36 AM
When my 06 R1200RT had about 12,000 miles, the ESA froze at two helmets. The dealer did the same software reload, and all was well for just a few days. Then back to two helmets. According to the mechanic, the next step would be replacement of the entire shock, which they did under warranty. I'm now at 35,000 miles and have had no further problems.

I like the ESA; I often ride two-up, and the change is very convenient. Thus, when the shock wears out, I'll certainly consider any ESA-compatible aftermarket device, especially since I am off warranty...

Tom K.
06-10-2009, 04:00 PM
John, did the dash display change icons? I ask as my '06 would change the icon but the icon never flashed and the preload was locked in the two up position. A new rear shock + software re-flash was the solution (covered under warranty).

Tom

johntena
06-11-2009, 05:25 AM
John, did the dash display change icons? I ask as my '06 would change the icon but the icon never flashed and the preload was locked in the two up position. A new rear shock + software re-flash was the solution (covered under warranty).

Tom

I'm not sure I can remember accurately. I recall that at first the icons would change, but I could not feel the preload match those changes. Then the display went to two helmets and stayed there.
A software reload/upgrade fixed the problem for a very short period, like a few days. That's when the dealer cheerfully replaced the shock. I asked if I could pay the difference for an Ohlins unit, but the answer was naturally no, since it was a warranty repair.

henzilla
03-06-2010, 08:22 PM
How is your ESA working after you addressed it? Do you like the WP shocks?

BUMP...

any more feedback ADIFW ?..my 09 GSA rear shock just dumped all the oil this morning and quit responding to commands. Mushy ride home in the twisties:banghead

looking at Works or Hyperpro ESA rebuilds next week when they open...

29K... BTW for those wonderng

DocZ
03-09-2010, 06:46 PM
My ESA quit working re preload only last year. Just a software glitch. No problems since.