PDA

View Full Version : Center Stand Falling Off!

greenwald
05-08-2009, 01:13 PM
OK - this doesn't happen every day.

Got back from a ride the other day, and when I tried lowering my sidestand, I found it hung up on my center stand......which was simply dangling from my '05 R1200RT by the spring!

One of the bolts had sheared off completely and was MIA; the other was still with the assembly, but snapped off halfway inside it's bushing. Was literally able to pull that bolt out by hand and completely remove the center stand from the RT without tools. Scary.

Ordered replacement parts from my BMW dealer and heading up there today to put Humpty-Dumpty back together again.

Suggestion: As part of spring maintenance, you might want to back out the center stand bolts (simply a matter of a hex wrench) and make sure of their integrity (you could grease the o-rings on the bushings as well). Putting them back in would also make sure their tight for the season. No intel as to the torque, but I'll be asking the tech that question before I tinker with the bike in the dealership parking lot later today.

Hey - good excuse for a ride up to Green Bay anyways. Gorgeous day here in WI, and center stand and tools in the bike trunk, so I'm off.

LUCKYEXPLORER
05-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Last year had exactly the same issue on an 06 GSA. Mine had just happened; the bolt pieces were laying on the ground at the motel. I thought it was a bad metal problem. ?
Allen.

LENRT1200ST
05-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Suggestion: As part of spring maintenance, you might want to back out the center stand bolts (simply a matter of a hex wrench) and make sure of their integrity (you could grease the o-rings on the bushings as well). Putting them back in would also make sure their tight for the season. No intel as to the torque, but I'll be asking the tech that question before I tinker with the bike in the dealership parking lot later today.

Hey - good excuse for a ride up to Green Bay anyways. Gorgeous day here in WI, and center stand and tools in the bike trunk, so I'm off.

Thanks!:bow And a tip of the hat, to Greenwald.

I'll check that out before my exodus into the GA mountains, tomorrow.

Len

marchyman
05-08-2009, 08:36 PM

http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/torque.html

Near the bottom of that page:

Center stand to main frame, M10 x 30 40 Nm (30 ft-lbs)
Center-stand stop to rear silencer, M6 x 16 6 Nm (4 ft-lbs)

_RockZ_
05-08-2009, 11:19 PM
wow one of them things I seem to overlook thanks for the heads UP!!!

Semper_Fi
05-09-2009, 02:45 PM

Ordered replacement parts from my BMW dealer and heading up there today to put Humpty-Dumpty back together again.

Glad nothing happened - I assume you either ordered or have the two return springs.

Becareful putting them on - they are tricky and can slip just before hook up.

I ended up using a drum brake tool to slip the hook ends over their capture points.

Were glove and eye protection - DAMHIK

greenwald
05-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Glad nothing happened - I assume you either ordered or have the two return springs.

Becareful putting them on - they are tricky and can slip just before hook up.

I ended up using a drum brake tool to slip the hook ends over their capture points.

Were glove and eye protection - DAMHIK

Will do. Thanks for the intel!

greenwald
05-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Repairs completed.

See posting of 05/13/09 in the Clubhouse Forum!

lensuz
05-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Thank goodness the metal in the center stand spring is of better quality! One more thing to check, thanks for the heads up.

greenwald
05-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Thank goodness the metal in the center stand spring is of better quality! One more thing to check, thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, but look how the springs attach to the frame.....they simply hook over a short stud. One more good bounce on the road and they too would have let go, and I probably wouldn't be around to write this!

noyooper
05-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Installed/warranted each time by my dealer (I have them do all my major services so I suspect they ate the cost vs. BMW) It is now going to be an annual service for me each fall to inspect/lube/etc.

greenwald
05-26-2009, 03:03 AM
Installed/warranted each time by my dealer (I have them do all my major services so I suspect they ate the cost vs. BMW) It is now going to be an annual service for me each fall to inspect/lube/etc.

Good for you. You're thinking like we all should.............after all, few 'malfunctions' on our Beemers have the potential to kill us before we even know why we're going down.

This is one of them.

PAULBACH
05-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Very wise advice Greenwald is providing. And if you ride two up your responsibility to check out EVERYTHING is doubled.

For want of a nail a shoe was lost ...

deilenberger
05-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Just curious - the people who've had these fail - do you ride off your centerstand? Or roll it off while sitting on the bike?

greenwald
05-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Just curious - the people who've had these fail - do you ride off your centerstand? Or roll it off while sitting on the bike?

Never.

Really............NEVER!

Wish I had some semblence of an explanation, rather than just a tale of woe.

Maybe BMW transfered the 'Final Drive Inspector' to the 'Center Stand Bolt Procurement Program?!'

deilenberger
05-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Never.

Really............NEVER!

Wish I had some semblence of an explanation, rather than just a tale of woe.

Maybe BMW transfered the 'Final Drive Inspector' to the 'Center Stand Bolt Procurement Program?!'Good. I asked because I had noted a relation between ride-off owners and K-bike centerstand failures back when the K bike stands were failing like flies.. I postulated the extra stress of the weight of the rider on the stand while riding off was causing the failures. Just wondered if it could be something the same on the R12's..

greenwald
05-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Good. I asked because I had noted a relation between ride-off owners and K-bike centerstand failures back when the K bike stands were failing like flies.. I postulated the extra stress of the weight of the rider on the stand while riding off was causing the failures. Just wondered if it could be something the same on the R12's..

Don - not the case with me, and I suspect none of the other R1200RT owners either, since the bike rests on the front tire when on the center stand........kind of tough to do a 'ride off.'

deilenberger
05-28-2009, 02:46 AM
Don - not the case with me, and I suspect none of the other R1200RT owners either, since the bike rests on the front tire when on the center stand........kind of tough to do a 'ride off.'Actually - what I've seen is a "rock" off. Sitting on the seat and rocking the bike to get it to roll off the centerstand. Problem I see with that is the backwards force put on the centerstand when rocking it - must be concentrated on the pivot bolts, and probably with the weight of a rider and some camping gear - it becomes significant.

hlothery
05-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Mine was OK, just had it checked when I had some work done at the dealer. BTW, I always pull my RT off the center stand and onto the side stand before I mount up.

Thanks for the warning......glad to have had it checked, and I will make it a part of regular maintenance checks from now on.

fastdogs2
05-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Should this event prompt a recall notification from BMW? It sounds dangerous enough. If something similar to this happened with automobiles, there would probably be a recall.

I can understand if the bolts securing the center stand somehow worked their way loose from vibration, but as you describe it, the bolt actually sheared off, due to some metallurgical fault in the bolt itself.

How likely is this to occur on other bikes?

I am planning to ride to the MOA Rally and I certainly don't want this to happen along the way. Of course, I wouldn't want it to happen on a short ride close to home either.

aaaaaa
05-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Yes. I think a recall is in order here.

greenwald
05-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Yes. I think a recall is in order here.

Unfortunately, when I contacted BMW, they politely thanked me for the information, assured me that it would factor into a 'future redesign,' but made no mention of a recall, which has been their corporate posture on previous issues................."What problem?!"

That's why I decided to error on the side of safety and fashioned cables to keep my center stand out of my rear tire / final drive, should I drop it at speed.

Ride Safe.

mika
05-28-2009, 10:43 PM
One way to deal with this is to file a Safety Complaint with the NHTSA at
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Fill out their form and you help begin building data that can lead to service bulletins or potentially to a recall.

The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) page is another page to become familiar with at
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/index.cfm

From this page you can file a complaint, check recalls and more. It has a car focus but covers motorcycles. The Search for Recalls (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm) uses a drill down process to get the information. Keep in mind if you can not find your bike using this your bike does not have any recalls.

greenwald
05-31-2009, 02:10 AM
One way to deal with this is to file a Safety Complaint with the NHTSA at
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Fill out their form and you help begin building data that can lead to service bulletins or potentially to a recall.

The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) page is another page to become familiar with at
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/index.cfm

From this page you can file a complaint, check recalls and more. It has a car focus but covers motorcycles. The Search for Recalls (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm) uses a drill down process to get the information. Keep in mind if you can not find your bike using this your bike does not have any recalls.

First thing Monday morning (have taught MSF BRC's for 10 days in a row - done tomorrow). Will be taking a little break then, so I'll have time.

Thanks for the info!

MALLOY
05-31-2009, 12:59 PM
For my 2005 R1200GS:

Get some 10.9 grade bolts with the tapered, flat head (10mm X 40mm) from a hardware store (Ace, Hillman brand for me) and replace the stock 8.8 bolts. After threading through the bushing and torquing install nylock nuts on the exposed threads. This will keep the bolt from loosening and/or backing out of the bushing. The 10.9s should handle the stresses better.

Don't ride off the center stand!!! BMW says don't even sit on the bike while on the center stand:german .

The newer (after 2006?) bikes have a re-designed center stand mount. Much stronger looking then the earlier ones.

marchyman
05-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Don't ride off the center stand!!! BMW says don't even sit on the bike while on the center stand:german .

Maybe I could ride off the center stand if I added a 100 pounds over the rear wheel. As it is the rear wheel is off the ground. Also, if my bike is on the center stand it is likely in my garage where there is a tool chest a few inches in front of the bike. Riding off isn't an option even if the rear wheel was on the ground.

As for not sitting on the bike when on the center stand.... BMW also says not to put the front of the saddle on the high position with the rear on the low position. I ignore them in that respect, too.

// marc