PDA

View Full Version : motorex motor oil for BMW

bmw4life
05-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Anyone tried motorex Boxter 4-T engine oil. The article suggest it is developed specifically for BMW boxter engines.
Any thoughts, comments?

deilenberger
05-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Anyone tried motorex Boxter 4-T engine oil. The article suggest it is developed specifically for BMW boxter engines.
Any thoughts, comments?Only thought - it's "boxer" engines, not "boxter".. if they didn't get that right.. :dance

Tom K.
05-08-2009, 08:52 PM
In all fairness, Don, the manufacturer labels it "Boxer 4T" (BMW) 10w40 synthetic oil.

http://www.motorexusa.com/prod_detail.asp?id=59

Apparently, bmw4life owns a boxter, not a BMW...
Tom

glurkus
05-09-2009, 10:09 PM
I thought hex heads require 15W50 synthetic.

marchyman
05-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I thought hex heads require 15W50 synthetic.

The GS manual states:

afmeyer
05-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Interestingly, Motorex indicated that their oil is a Group 3 on their website. Early on, grp 4 oils were the only synthetic oils and grp 3 was just very refined dino oil. This is the only oil supplier I've seen that tells the group of the base stock. They usually avoid saying group 3 since it's really not synthetic.
I've called Amsoil and Mobil and they won't tell.

TGA57589
05-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Just bought 5 quarts of BMW synthetic for $65 bucks. Gotta wonder how they can do it and make a profit? And I guess the arrogant owner of the dealer was pi$$ed that I didn't let them do the oil change in their shop. They may have been able to do it for just under $100 bucks who knows?

05-14-2009, 02:17 AM
Mobil 1 is a group 5 PAO, Not certain about Amsoil, but I can find out. PAO's are the most common of the synthetics. There are also Esters like Motul, Amsoil may be an Ester. The Ester products are alittle more expensive than the PAO's (less volume) both bases have their clame to fame, there are good products made from both types.

Ken G.

charleshickman
05-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Mobil 1 is a group 5 PAO, Not certain about Amsoil, but I can find out. PAO's are the most common of the synthetics. There are also Esters like Motul, Amsoil may be an Ester. The Ester products are alittle more expensive than the PAO's (less volume) both bases have their clame to fame, there are good products made from both types.

Ken G.

I have no oil expertise other than from reading BITOG, this and other forums. However I believe that PAOs are group IV and other esters are group V. Based on the posts on BITOG, it appears that most Mobil One products are now mostly group III, with group IV and V as additives. The consensus seems to be that M1 0-40 is an exception and remains mostly group IV.