PDA

View Full Version : EWS (Again)

ROGSLATER
05-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Sorry if this has been covered before.
Has any one had a EWS failure on a 05 RT proir to vin ZM19502?
Do I have to carry a spare?

Roger Slater

mpmarty
05-03-2009, 04:54 AM
Spare what? Shock absorber? ESA = Electronic Suspension Adjustment.
Do you mean the ring around the ignition switch? The failures began after mid to late 2006 AFIK

ROGSLATER
05-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Spare what? Shock absorber? ESA = Electronic Suspension Adjustment.
Do you mean the ring around the ignition switch? The failures began after mid to late 2006 AFIK

Whoops, thats what happenes when the brain is older than a Conker tree.
I have edited it to EWS, how do I correct the Title? sorry about that.

deilenberger
05-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Whoops, thats what happenes when the brain is older than a Conker tree.
I have edited it to EWS, how do I correct the Title? sorry about that.You don't - I do. I'll fix it.

To answer your question - EWS failure was almost unknown (and remains so) prior to the batch of bad EWS antenna rings BMW experienced. The new ring is only about $35 - so if you want to carry a spare - it's a cheap spare (I do have a spare I bought, but have stopped carrying it except on long multi-day rides..) I never experienced a failure with the factory installed ring, nor the service-campaign installed replacement - and I was right in the batch that was supposed to. Just lucky I guess (or prepared by having a spare..)

motorman587
05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
We have had a couple on your fleet of 07's go bad. I would say 3 out of 9 have gone bad, or that failure has popped up. Fixed under warranty. No big deal, guess if you were on a trip a big deal......:)

cjack
05-04-2009, 11:41 PM
You don't - I do. I'll fix it.

To answer your question - EWS failure was almost unknown (and remains so) prior to the batch of bad EWS antenna rings BMW experienced. The new ring is only about $35 - so if you want to carry a spare - it's a cheap spare (I do have a spare I bought, but have stopped carrying it except on long multi-day rides..) I never experienced a failure with the factory installed ring, nor the service-campaign installed replacement - and I was right in the batch that was supposed to. Just lucky I guess (or prepared by having a spare..)

We have two '08 K12S bikes that are right in the middle of the batch as well, Viki's went out at about 1K on the way to WY, and mine is still ok, ~9K.

wezul
05-04-2009, 11:44 PM
You get no warning. I got off the bike in front of Cyclewerks, true story, came back out and hopped on, turned the ignition to on and "EWS".
Man was I lucky that day.

ROGSLATER
05-05-2009, 01:38 AM
You don't - I do. I'll fix it.

Many thanks Don for correcting my screw up.
Been stranded twice on BMW bikes in the last two years, I don't have much faith in BMWNA with thier secret recalls and failure to admit a design fault even when it bites them. I will take your advise and carry a EWS ring. I take it that in emergency it only has to be plugged in and loosely tied up to get home.??

Roger

cjack
05-05-2009, 02:15 AM
Yes and hold it near the key or put your spare key into it. It's only for startup.

LONERANGER
05-06-2009, 02:15 PM
If I was to get an EWS failure while on the road could I start the bike with the plastic key?

roborider
05-06-2009, 02:26 PM
If you get EWS, you're screwed, no matter what key you have.

I carry a spare for my 05RT even though it should not have the problem. I figure it is cheap and easy to have, and, it might rescue some OTHER Beemer rider one day.

I would practice the field repair in the shop. You use a T-10 to remove the screws that hold the cover, then just pop off the cable and plug in the new one. If you didn't have a T-10 wrench, you can easily break off the little cover in an emergency. Hold it near the key and start the bike. You could actually then unplug the ring and as long as you don't turn off the key, the bike will start (use the kill switch). Of course, your headlight will be on so you can't leave it like this overnight, but you could stop for gas or something and be OK.

I also just replaced my fuel pump pressure regulator (20 minute job). There have been failures of this part. I notice the old one was a two piece cover and possibly susceptible to water infiltration and the new one is a one piece and sealed very tightly. I keep the old one as a spare.

As my Service Manager told me, there are two failures on Canbus machines that occur without warning and stop you dead; two that you can field repair. I'm ready for them and maybe one day I'll end up rescuing a fellow rider.

Robo

Semper_Fi
05-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Here is the part number and cost for the ring

61357705247 ring antenna BUY 1 $36.67

And this is where it is located - item 6

You remove item 8 (2x) to remove the cover and disconnect the connector if you need to use the spare.

I had my recall done last year as i was in the suspect range - no issues.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm43/Semper_Fi_LR/B0003784.png

cjack
05-06-2009, 04:54 PM
If I was to get an EWS failure while on the road could I start the bike with the plastic key?

I'm thinking you meant use the plastic key in your spare ews ring which you plugged in and tie wrapped to something. Yes. Just stick the plastic key in it and use your other normal key in the ign switch.

ROGSLATER
05-08-2009, 03:05 PM
If you get EWS, you're screwed, no matter what key you have.

I carry a spare for my 05RT even though it should not have the problem. I figure it is cheap and easy to have, and, it might rescue some OTHER Beemer rider one day.

I would practice the field repair in the shop. You use a T-10 to remove the screws that hold the cover, then just pop off the cable and plug in the new one. If you didn't have a T-10 wrench, you can easily break off the little cover in an emergency. Hold it near the key and start the bike. You could actually then unplug the ring and as long as you don't turn off the key, the bike will start (use the kill switch). Of course, your headlight will be on so you can't leave it like this overnight, but you could stop for gas or something and be OK.

I also just replaced my fuel pump pressure regulator (20 minute job). There have been failures of this part. I notice the old one was a two piece cover and possibly susceptible to water infiltration and the new one is a one piece and sealed very tightly. I keep the old one as a spare.

As my Service Manager told me, there are two failures on Canbus machines that occur without warning and stop you dead; two that you can field repair. I'm ready for them and maybe one day I'll end up rescuing a fellow rider.

Robo

Robo
Thanks for the explanation on the EWS get home method. The fuel pump whatsit is a new one to me, thanks for the advise.

Roger

ROGSLATER
05-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm thinking you meant use the plastic key in your spare ews ring which you plugged in and tie wrapped to something. Yes. Just stick the plastic key in it and use your other normal key in the ign switch.

Thanks for the input fellers, I have ordered the EWS ring, will do a dummy run on the bench.

Roger

roborider
05-08-2009, 04:38 PM
There's a lot of great support and information on this forum.

The fuel pressure regulator is electronic and it costs around $150. That's a lot for a 'spare' but I must say the new one is better made and I don't want to be stranded.

Maybe SemperFi can post a fische of its location (nice work on the key ring).

FYI, to replace it, you remove the left side panel on the RT (4 screws, much easier than it looks). Then, the wires to the regulator, the fuel level sensor, and fuel pump are all right there on the side of the gas tank. Two screws remove the regulator, pop off the wires, and replace. It comes with a new gasket as well. I keep the old one as the backup. The replacement will be obvious if you are holding the new one in your hand, you can't miss it and it requires no special tools or skill.

Robo

deilenberger
05-08-2009, 05:00 PM
There is a free video on using a spare antenna ring from the people at Hexcode (GS-911).. it's for the F800, but the technique is the same on all the bikes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQnGgAOzcng