PDA

View Full Version : oil to hex

jammess
05-02-2009, 03:38 PM
OK, I been watching these hexhead threads for awhile trying to figure out if the newer hexheads are more reliable than the oilheads especially where trans input shaft spline failures are concerned and they seem to be at least I have seen no posts describing trans input shaft spline failures. Seems to be a number of FD failures but these failures are a lot easier to live with than trans input shaft spline failures. I am considering selling, or trying to sell, my '04RT and buy a new 1200RT. Haven't made up my mind and wonder if the new machines have addressed some of the problems with the oilhead. I should also mention that at 30K miles I have had no issues with my oilhead. I recently removed the starter motor and observed no signs of any input shaft spline wear. All was clean as far as I could tell in the clutch housing area.
J

bob1100rtc
05-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Go for it. You won't believe the difference.

cookie
05-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Oilhead, hexhead, threadhead, gearhead. Please excuse me if this is a stupid question but isn't an 04 RT a hexhead?:blush

mpmarty
05-02-2009, 09:58 PM
No. The 04 was not a hexhead it was an oilhead. In order to be a hexhead the valve cover needed to be <=> six sided. The Oilhead valve cover is pentagonal as I recall.

PGlaves
05-02-2009, 10:47 PM
I don't think there is any significant difference between the Oilhead and Hexhead transmission input shafts and clutch hubs. And I suspect that a handfull of odd failures notwithstanding - the durability of these components is essentially equal on both models.

jammess
05-03-2009, 12:27 AM
I don't think there is any significant difference between the Oilhead and Hexhead transmission input shafts and clutch hubs. And I suspect that a handfull of odd failures notwithstanding - the durability of these components is essentially equal on both models.

Paul, thanks for the reply. Do you have any theories as to why all the threads concerning input shaft failures on oilheads but few if any for the hexheads?

TourNut
05-03-2009, 02:27 AM
The big thing that sold me on the hex-head was the vibration canceling counter balance shaft in the engine. I wished BMW had done that long before 2005. That makes for one smooth twin.

deilenberger
05-03-2009, 02:36 AM
Paul, thanks for the reply. Do you have any theories as to why all the threads concerning input shaft failures on oilheads but few if any for the hexheads?

I'm not Paul - but I'll give a try. The failures I read about on the oilheads appear to be related to poor machining of the transmission cover. It offset the input shaft relative to the clutch on the engine.

It appears BMW has fixed that machining problem on the hexheads.

PGlaves
05-03-2009, 02:41 AM

I think that the few (but too many) Oilhead failures that occurred early due to what was thought to be mismachining causing misalingnment got talked about an awful lot - far out of proportion to the actual number of bikes that had the problem. I also think that the number of Oilheads with high mileage and lubrication (lack of lubrication) failures is a lot higher than the Hexheads. That is, many more Oilheads over 50K or so.

I PREACH - and some listen - that K bike, Oilhead, and probably Hexhead clutch splines should be cleaned and lubricated at somewhere around 40K to 50K miles - period. I've seen them rusty at 40K and gone at 65K. Some dealers preach the same message - some say, "huh? what?"

BMW doesn't say much about it at all.