PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Rt Low Beam 12RT

CARLWISE
05-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Wow,
Not much room to change out the H7 bulb on the right side of my '06 12RT.
Any suggestions or neat tools that might help?
Tx,
Carl
Charlottesville, Va

mpmarty
05-02-2009, 04:34 PM
A hemostat helps. After you've done it a couple of times it gets easier.

roborider
05-02-2009, 05:11 PM
I've had luck also by sitting in front of the bike and running my hand up from the FRONT. Above the fender, up the forks and in. I have small hands though. One benefit is you can see the light bulb going in and position it propery this way.

Robo

TGA57589
05-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I got big hands and it was a M&%er to change. But now I know what it takes and I'm sure I'll have to change another one again. Just an idea I paid too much for mine at Advance auto, if you need one go to Walmart they have them in stock.

sundaeman
05-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey Carl,

The right was an issue for me too. I changed bulb type, so I changed both. I put in the left one 1st with/without looking at it (used old bulb at first) so I could get a feel for the the fit/clamps/bits inside. Then I did the right, still a massive PITA and probably took 20 minutes to install correctly. I had to hold the rear edges of the connectors on the bulb and wedge a finger between them to get it in.

Make sure the clips are up as high as they will go and the wiring is out of the way (you can't really see them on the right). I held light in front of the bulb housing to provide some rough guidance to the hole for the bulb.

-Joel

roborider
05-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey Joel,

What bulb type did you change to, why, and how do you like them?

STAN
05-06-2009, 12:28 AM
PITA is putting it mildly. I've had to change 3 headlight bulbs in in 15,000 mi. The first time it took over a half hour and drew blood and cursing. Luckily when I discovered the second one I was at a dealer. A kid took it out back and changed it in about five minutes and they didn't charge me. Wish I saw how they did it. Third time I drew blood and after a half hour I talked my son into taking five minutes to do it for me. He kept telling me the whole time how simple it is to do on his Suzuki. I swear the next time one blows I'll be tempted to trade it in for a 800GS just to avoid the problem.. Isn't German engineering just GREAT!!!

sundaeman
05-06-2009, 01:06 AM
RoboRider, I decided to try Sylvania Silverstar Ultras, which appear to be brighter & whiter. The Ultras were about $10 more a set, but are supposed to last longer.

Stan you are correct, I was trying to be polite. My right bulb went out sometime last Sunday morning and I finally just got around to changing them yesterday/today. Did the left one yesterday, got PO'd with the right one. Today I did the right one and noticed the left one was a bit off so I removed the clips and got it just right.

Hopefully I'll get a road test and some comparison video tomorrow :)

-Joel

Artiee
05-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Wow,
Not much room to change out the H7 bulb on the right side of my '06 12RT.
Any suggestions or neat tools that might help?
Tx,
Carl
Charlottesville, Va

You need to start with three things:

1 - a 150 pound anvil;

2 - a 3 foot piece of rope;

3 - access to the roof of at least a two story house.

Procedure:

Take the anvil and the rope up to the roof of the two story house. Tie one end of the rope to the anvil and the other end of the rope to the fingers of your left hand.
With your right hand, take a firm grip on any portion of the roof of the house, then kick the anvil off the roof.

Now that the fingers of your left hand are strecthed out long and thin, go change the bulb.

:rofl

:nono (DISCLAIMER: Poster is not responsible or liable for any injuries occuring to anyone who actually tries this method.) :nono

WDaigle
05-06-2009, 02:02 PM
You need to start with three things:

1 - a 150 pound anvil;

2 - a 3 foot piece of rope;

3 - access to the roof of at least a two story house.

Procedure:

Take the anvil and the rope up to the roof of the two story house. Tie one end of the rope to the anvil and the other end of the rope to the fingers of your left hand.
With your right hand, take a firm grip on any portion of the roof of the house, then kick the anvil off the roof.

Now that the fingers of your left hand are strecthed out long and thin, go change the bulb.

:rofl

:nono (DISCLAIMER: Poster is not responsible or liable for any injuries occuring to anyone who actually tries this method.) :nono

Hey it works, I can get my fingers in there now:nono

bogthebasher
05-07-2009, 05:07 AM
Wouldn't you know as I started my RT for the morning commute I was greeted by he 'Bulb' warnng icon and sure enough the right hand side low beam was toast. Did a search here and took the advice to remove the right and left tupperware as well as the instrument cluster cover. At that point it was comparatively easy to replace both bulbs - I figured that since then both had the same burn time, the next one would go soon. The orginals lasted 16K Km.

Question: Left hand tupperware removal... how the heck does one disconnect the powerlet plug that is connected to the tupperware? I fiddled for a couple of minutes and decided to just secure the tupperware temporarily with a couple of zip ties so as not to stress the connecting wires to the powerlet and move forward. Was I missing something obvious?:scratch

Semper_Fi
05-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Question: Left hand tupperware removal... how the heck does one disconnect the powerlet plug that is connected to the tupperware?.....

The easiest thing you can do is when you remove the left side upper panel is also to remove the inner trim panel to access the connector plug to the accesory socket for removal.

It adds a few extra steps in assembly and disassembly, but, it allows you to completely remove the side panel without elaborate supporting schemes.

sundaeman
05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
The easiest thing you can do is when you remove the left side upper panel is also to remove the inner trim panel to access the connector plug to the accesory socket for removal.

It adds a few extra steps in assembly and disassembly, but, it allows you to completely remove the side panel without elaborate supporting schemes.

One thing I did was splice a waterproof connection in the line to the accessory socket.

Separate note - I haven't needed to wake up early enough to get any comparison video yet (some extra sleep, yeah!). But here are some ok pics with the low beams alone and the alongside HIDs and Motolights.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee34/sundaeman/misc%20mc%20web%20stuff/th_IMG_0132_NOHID.jpg (http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee34/sundaeman/misc%20mc%20web%20stuff/?action=view&current=IMG_0132_NOHID.jpg) http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee34/sundaeman/misc%20mc%20web%20stuff/th_IMG_0131_HID.jpg (http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee34/sundaeman/misc%20mc%20web%20stuff/?action=view&current=IMG_0131_HID.jpg)

Semper_Fi
05-07-2009, 03:32 PM
One thing I did was splice a waterproof connection in the line to the accessory socket.

Great minds think alike :clap Did the same thing. The other connector is for the Gerbing Controller mounted on the panel top side (as i don't have a stock radio)

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm43/Semper_Fi_LR/Gerbing%20Controller%20Install/DSC02926.jpg

marcopolo
05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Having changed a few of these on my R12RT, I'd say that removing any bodywork (let alone instrument cluster) is complete overkill -- unless your knuckles drag on the ground when you walk upright. I will admit that it is somewhat of a PITA.

bogthebasher
05-07-2009, 06:50 PM
I should have thought of just a few more screws to remove... oh well.

I really like the idea of putting an in-line connector there. Thanks for the picture, very nice job. I think this is one case where it is inevitable that I'll be doing this again so may as well make it easier, especially if doing it in a motel parking lot or campsite.