PDA

View Full Version : Hmm oil smell and residue?

_RockZ_
05-01-2009, 05:57 PM
So I have a oil smell when i Park the bike (2005 RT) and on the back wheel caliper side is

black residue(wondereing if it is just brake dust),the smell comes from the area in

front of the exhaust the place i park the bike in garage no oil on floor just smelly

when i park,so I am wondering if tranny could be leaking and if I should be

worried

alanrd
05-01-2009, 06:34 PM
I always note that smell for a few days after riding in the rain. I suspect it's rubber, oil etc that gets splashed on the motor and pipes.
Hope that's all it is.

_RockZ_
05-01-2009, 07:50 PM
have a ride planned this weekend after that I am going to take the fairing off with help from the tech forum and take a few pictures to post for some added help with this subject.

_RockZ_
05-05-2009, 02:50 PM
So I washed the under side of the Bike and I think i have found the leak ,seems to be comming out of the cone shaped housing the clutch cable is connected to.

Pictures Coming

_RockZ_
05-05-2009, 03:30 PM
so I wiped the oil off but you can still see where the oil was by the ring under the housing, any ideas?

I will ride today and make sure the oil is coming out from here,now that i washed it will be easier to see.

_RockZ_
05-18-2009, 03:25 AM
out put cylinder on clutch is Leaking

any one have a quick fix?

marchyman
05-18-2009, 04:32 AM
any one have a quick fix?

Guess: Replace the slave cylinder? Doesn't look to be that difficult.

1) remove left footrest
2) drain the clutch line
3) remove banjo bolt
4) remove the two screws while holding the cylinder straight (it's under pressure from a spring)
5) pull slave cylinder from gearbox

I don't know if there is a replaceable seal or if you have to replace the entire cylinder. Also, I'd check to make sure the oil is clutch (mineral) oil, not gear oil you are seeing.

Again, that is all just a guess: I've never done the job myself.

nplenzick
05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
I had the same smell on my 07 and it looks like we (me and my dealer) found the problem.
My clutch hose was leaking at the reservoir end, it would only leak a drop or two when you pulled the clutch in and even then it didn't do it all the time. The clutch oil would follow the hose and hit the top of the motor causing the smell. Hermy's in Port Clinton, Pa. replaced the defective hose and again I give them two thumbs up.
Very disappointed in the dealer I purchased this bike from a few weeks ago, this along with several other problems should have been caught by their inspection before they sold this bike..........I doubt anyone took the time to do that. Since they are 350 miles away from me I brought to Hermy's. I now know why some people bitch and complain about there dealer experiences, I expected better from a BMW dealer, but then again maybe I'm just spoiled by the way I've been treated at Hermy's for the past five years.

henzilla
05-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Guess: Replace the slave cylinder? Doesn't look to be that difficult.

1) remove left footrest
2) drain the clutch line
3) remove banjo bolt
4) remove the two screws while holding the cylinder straight (it's under pressure from a spring)
5) pull slave cylinder from gearbox

I don't know if there is a replaceable seal or if you have to replace the entire cylinder. Also, I'd check to make sure the oil is clutch (mineral) oil, not gear oil you are seeing.

Again, that is all just a guess: I've never done the job myself.

Not hard at all on Hexheads...did one on a '07 R12R. On that one the clutch quit working, not a leak at all to be seen. You have to change the slave cylinder, there are no replaceable parts. Had it done in less than an hour total, added new mineral oil and bled the slave. I just wish the 1100's and 1150's were this easy to access.

_RockZ_
06-05-2009, 01:06 PM
does any one know if there is a replaceable seal or if I just have to replace the whole cylinder and the seal comes with it?
and when i release and drain the line how much and what kind of oil would ypou recommend

henzilla
06-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Have to replace the whole unit, maybe near $70 if I recall... BMW sells a little 7 OZ bottle of green mineral oil that is just enough to refill/bleed. If you unbolt it, not that much leaks out unless you operate the clutch. On Hexheads it is not a hard job at all.

rebake
06-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Are you sure it is mineral oil from the clutch?Mine is doing the same thing and the mec. checked and found it to be engine oil from a seal behind the clutch slave cylinder.Had been replaced 2 years ago.About a 20-30 minute job. Mine is an 05 gs. Ed

_RockZ_
06-07-2009, 02:54 PM
seems like it is clear liquid I assume it is mineral oil,not Engine oil ,also when it hits the exhaust it does not smell like engine oil.

but good point I will double Check.

marchyman
06-08-2009, 12:49 AM
On the hexheads it is mineral oil, called Vitamol V10 by BMW. It is reported to be the same as Magura Blue Blood found in bicycle shops. :dunno

// marc

_RockZ_
06-08-2009, 01:48 AM
ok So what is the torque required on the banjo bolt and the tech bolts/.?