PDA

View Full Version : ELF's, Talons, and the like

charliebrown
05-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Pardon a newbies first post, but I finally got around to joining BMWMOA and registering for the forums. I've been searching around for a solution to my problem and finally ended up here.

I currently own a 2007 K1200GT and while it is a terrific bike in almost all regards, I am having problems with my knees. I am 6'4ÔÇØ with a 36ÔÇØ inseam and after about 120 miles, my knees start to scream. I need to stop riding for about 10 minutes before resuming, but after 15-20 more miles, I need to take another break. Seat in highest position, added seat pad, installed a foot peg lowering kit from Suburban Machinery, to no avail. Actually started dragging my toes in some turns. I am thinking I will need to find a different bike more appropriate to my physique. Highway bars are not available for the GT and I'm not really interested in a cruiser at this point in my life.

I am looking at the R1200RT with one of the highway foot peg additions and was wondering if those that own a Sahara ELF, Talon, or Wunderlich crashbar with foot peg additions, could post the type of highway peg they own, their height and inseam to give me a better idea of what might be appropriate for my situation. Any pictures with you seated in the highway position would also be appreciated. If anyone has a different solution to the ones listed above, I am all ears.

Thanks.

mpmarty
05-01-2009, 01:46 AM
I'm not quite as vertically oriented as you are but my 34" inseam causes similar problems.

I looked at the wonderlich (sic) bars and passed as they are powder coated and that stuff cracks. I bought the touratech stainless crash bars and then put a set of off the shelf highway pegs on as low and as far forward as I could. Absolute paradise on long rides. Also helps in warm weather by directing airflow up my pantlegs. I think I have some pictures here on this forum and if I can find them I'll edit this to add them.

charliebrown
05-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the reply. The Touratech bars look good, but unfortunately they have a disclaimer about them not fitting the 2009's. Wunderlich has either chrome or powder coating, but I would much prefer stainless steel. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet and I plan to keep on looking.
Thanks again.

hlothery
05-04-2009, 02:48 PM
I bought Talons after my knee replacement surgeries. They were great for a "rolling respite" from the ache I got with the usual foot position. I also found that Suburban Machinery peg lowering devices helped quite a bit. Recommend both, with the seat in the top position.

JANMILLER
05-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I put Talon's on my 2004. work great. Pegs are Drag Specialites, don't remember the names and such, but the larger pegs with retractable stirrups, they are great. I have them mounted on offsets which allow them to be positions precisely where I need them, and they are available in longer lengths. Pricey, but good stuff... Don't have a good pic available (at work, shhhhhhhh)...

north50
05-07-2009, 03:04 AM
I have both the Suburban lowered pegs and the ELFs on my 2005 R1200RT

6" 1" with 33 " inseam. So not as tall as you are. I find they both help quite a bit but they're not a perfect answer. I use the ELFs a lot on extended rides but the fairing gets in the way a bit . However, going back and forth between the two seems to really help me a lot. If I was going to do it over again, I'd look for something that gives me a bit more lateral extension away from the fairings.

05-07-2009, 03:07 AM
Have you considered a GS? I had never considered one, until the 1200's came out, and I test rode one. I don't care about the off road capability. I like the light weight, roomy size, comfort, and handling. I'm not quite your size - 6'2", 34-36 inseam depending on pants. I have a regular GS with an adventure seat (an inch taller than the stock seat) and Fastway pegs in the lower position. Very roomy. And with an Aeroflow screen, the torso and head wind protection is superior (in my opinion) to the two oil head RT's I owned, both of which had tall Cee Bailey screens. And if you get a new one with ESA, they ride pretty soft in the comfort mode.

I don't know how the actual dimensions compare, but I rode an 1200RT for about 90 miles a year or two ago, and I didn't think it had the room of my GS. Might have been subjective.