PDA

View Full Version : GSA Beaters, anyone;

Polarbear
04-29-2009, 11:16 PM
I use my GSA offroad every chance I can get and sometimes its hard, rough terrain I find myself into, with too much bike. BUT, I love the challenge and the GSA has done well so far, as my previous GS's through the years. I just wondered if anybody else out there is a "BEATER of the Beast" in the dirt? Some of my biggest GS adventures are; Imogene Pass, Colorado(GS1100'95) and Engineers Pass, same state. Death Valley, numerous challenges there, The Great Western Trail just recently in AZ..GSA1200 and quite a few more, but the above were REALLY tough in spots, where the bike had issues. I did all these on dual sport tires, no knobs, but the knobs would be really good in many locations I did. I'm cheap and cannot see the $$$ for a 2 thousand mile tire wearout! I'd love to hear a few others riding the tough GS,GSA where it was supposedly designed to go:). Mine('07GSA) has taken some beating at 30000 miles now and its still fine. Randy:thumb

marchyman
04-30-2009, 12:40 AM
I I'm cheap and cannot see the $$$ for a 2 thousand mile tire wearout! I'd love to hear a few others riding the tough GS,GSA where it was supposedly designed to go:). Mine('07GSA) has taken some beating at 30000 miles now and its still fine. Randy:thumb

I'm sure the tire police will ding me for this, but I use a knob (TKC-80) on the front of my GS and a DS (currently a Tourance) on the rear. The front knob helps make up for my lack of skills when on dirt roads, yet lasts as long as the rear. I put about 9K on my last front. It looked like this when I took it off:

http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/2009/0101-new-tire/p-20090101-1405-4847.jpg

Note that one edge of the knobs were at the wear bars, the other edge still had lots of life.

FWIW I have zero problems with this set-up on pavement, including wet pavement. However, I do slow down in the wet. :deal Oh, the ride isn't as smooth. That doesn't bother me.

// marc

podsobinski
04-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Sounds like you need a DR650 Suzuki with Dunlops 606's. Save that GSA for easier jeep trails, forest service access roads and the such. Take it from an old and wise motorcycler. . .the 600 lb. GSA is a great bike but not for single track and severe jeep trials found in Colorado.

Gpodzo
2008 GSA
2007 DR650

jasontdi
05-01-2009, 02:16 AM
Sounds like you need a DR650 Suzuki with Dunlops 606's. Save that GSA for easier jeep trails, forest service access roads and the such. Take it from an old and wise motorcycler. . .the 600 lb. GSA is a great bike but not for single track and severe jeep trials found in Colorado.

Gpodzo
2008 GSA
2007 DR650

I'll second that....I just don't want to get CRUSHED under the beast either.

98R1100GS
96/06 DR650hybrid.

bmdubyou
05-01-2009, 08:23 PM
96/06 DR650hybrid.
DOes that run on gas AND electric???

StLouRider
05-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm sure I spelled it wrong.. I went thru Imogine Pass about 15 yrs ago in a Toyota Landcruiser. All I remember was a few stream crossings, very steep drop offs, and driving thru the clouds to reach the top. It was pretty rocky, but not too loose. I would certainly try my GSA if I was back out there on a bike..
But then again, I've had it many places I probably should not have. Not because the GSA won't go there, it's more because of the low skilled guy riding it. I've picked it up too many times to count. The reason I switched to a GSA from a LT was I could still ride it out to CO, UT, WY, or MT and not have to turn back when the blacktop ends.
Sure wish it had cruise and a stereo though.. :brad

Jeff

Threeteas
05-13-2009, 08:05 AM
GSA took me down through Baja on some sand, some gnarly granite and slate and one stretch that just endlessly pummelled the bike in mile after mile of a ripple effect, hard ridge, sand hollow, hard ridge, sand hollow, rpt for 55 miles. Even fully loaded up, it kept me upright. It seems to be intricately tricky bits that catch the GSA out, purely on size.
Oh yes, TKs and about 8k miles.

podsobinski
05-13-2009, 11:49 AM
I got rid of my RT with all the bells and whistles last August for a GSA. Put a Kaoko Throttle Control and wrist rest on, solved the electronic cruise control, put a satellite radio through the AutoCom, solved the radio, CD etc. problem. The best of both worlds. . .well almost.
Keep that GSA off of single track trails, even a 650 DR Suzuki geared down can be a handfull on trails in Colorado. No matter how good you are, it is a beast. Steak dinner says that nobody can make it over Tanner/Stultz trail with a GSA1200. This trail is 5 miles south of Canon City, CO and a challenge for me with the DR.
Off to Heber tomorrow.:clap

podzo

Threeteas
05-13-2009, 01:03 PM
I got rid of my RT with all the bells and whistles last August for a GSA. Put a Kaoko Throttle Control and wrist rest on, solved the electronic cruise control, put a satellite radio through the AutoCom, solved the radio, CD etc. problem. The best of both worlds. . .well almost.
Keep that GSA off of single track trails, even a 650 DR Suzuki geared down can be a handfull on trails in Colorado. No matter how good you are, it is a beast. Steak dinner says that nobody can make it over Tanner/Stultz trail with a GSA1200. This trail is 5 miles south of Canon City, CO and a challenge for me with the DR.
Off to Heber tomorrow.:clap

podzo

I'll pass the dinner offer on to Jimmy Lewis who gave me off-road lessons on a GS.

podsobinski
05-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Now you are talking, a world class rider of endurance/rally races. Bring him on! I'll challenge him to a time trial up Tanner and down Stultz. He uses a $20,000 GSA and I'll use my $3,000 DR650!

podzo
old but not dead yet

Polarbear
05-15-2009, 02:53 AM
I did the Imogene and others on my earlier GS1100 and it TOOK a beating up there, but got me through with a bashed skid plate only:). I too find the larger than life GSA a real handful in many places I ride offroad. Its a work load for just about any soul. Randy