PDA

View Full Version : Esa Question(s)

mpmarty
04-29-2009, 10:45 PM
My 2006 1200RT has the ESA and it has never seemed to do ANYTHING. I read the manual several times. Put the bike on centerstand and start the engine in neutral. Press the esa button and it shows "normal" and one helmet. Press again and the "normal" cycles to "sport" "comfort" etc. After it stops on one of these settings the display fails to "blink" and just returns to the normal display with no ESA info shown. Same thing with following the directions to change from solo to two up with luggage, no blinks it just sits there and then goes back to normal display. The rear suspension height never changes. The felt rebound damping never changes regardless of what shows on the display when I press the button.

The bike is still in warranty and a year ago I asked the dealer to look at it and the mechanic claimed he could "hear it working" and so it was OK. It has never worked as far as I know. I bought the bike from the original owner a year ago.

I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow am for them to look at the ESA again and do another annual.

What should I expect the ESA to do if it's working correctly?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Semper_Fi
04-29-2009, 11:06 PM
MPMarty - one very quick and easy way to check if it is working is the following

Put the bike in neutral on a flat and level surface.

Set the preload to 1 person

Now get on the bike, get it off the center stand and set it to 2up, don't put any weight on the seat if you can..

If it is working you will feel the bike rise.

A way to test the rebound is as you ride adjust from comfort - ride there for a few minutes and then switch it to sport - preferably over the same road - you shoud note that the bike is a lot "stiffer".

Let us know how it goes with the dealer and their finds.

BTW if they say they heard the motor have them confirm with actual travel.

R80RTJohnny
04-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Actually you should feel the bike moving up and down when changing settings (neat feeling).

Maybe the dealer can help you this time.

Good luck.

PS: If it's broken now would be the perfect time to replace (warranty)

Motorwerk
04-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Just an initial press will show its current state e.g. Normal, One Helmet.

Cycling through the damping settings; Normal, Sport, Comfort and changing it from the previous setting will causing the setting to flash until it's set - this can be done while underway or not. When the ESA button is pressed again it should reflect this change.

To change the preload be sure the engine is running and the transmission is in neutral then, hold the ESA button down and change the setting from it's current setting. Going from one helmet to two helmets is a significant change that should be felt as the suspension rises - the display should flash and stop when its completed. Again, the change should be displayed.

Now, if the suspension does nothing it's stuck and the dealer needs to diagnose the issue. They can reset and recalibrate it if it's still recognized by the ZFE (computer). If it's the preload that does not change it can get stuck again which at this point needs to be replaced.

First try to determine which setting does not change, the preload or the damping or both to give the tech an indication of what is happening.

Let us know how it works out.

texanrt
04-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Here's what I did -- one of the more experienced owners might be able to shed more light on the topic, but here's how I checked.

(1) As I cycle through the modes (comfort, sport, normal) while sitting on the bike as it idles, the modes are displayed on the screen. The selected mode displays for a few seconds as the suspension adjusts and then the screen returns to the clock -- there's no flashing indicator -- it just reverts back to the clock. Press the ESA button once to verify the new setting. While sitting on the bike, I can bounce up and down and tell the difference in the modes -- and I can definitely tell the difference while riding.

(2) As I cycle through the preload settings, the "helmet" display flashes while the suspension is adjusting either up or down. When switching to two-up from single, the rear suspension lifts up to 1 inch higher -- I can sit on the idling bike and feel the bike lift. Likewise, I can feel the bike lower itself back into single-rider height. The change in height is definitely noticeable. Once the adjustment is complete the helmet stops flashing and the display returns to the clock display.

That's how mine is working -- I started checking it regularly after reading a few posts from people who were having ESA problems. Hope this helps.

mpmarty
04-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Thanks guys. I very much appreciate the prompt concise replies.
My ESA changes the suspension as much as crossing and uncrossing my fingers does.

The rebound damping is stiff in all positions and the ride improves when I load the bike with passenger and luggage. In the fully loaded position regardless of what setting is showing the headlights shine where they should. When unloaded with just me on the bike (180lbs) the headlight shines on the ground in front of the bike regardless of what the ESA shows.

I'm gonna make some waves if necessary at the dealership tomorrow morning.

I think they will be very helpful though as when I called this afternoon and explained what I thought was wrong they made me an appointment first thing tomorrow. This dealership is normally two or three weeks out for service appointments this time of year.

Thanks again.:thumb

WDaigle
04-30-2009, 08:14 PM
When changing the pre-load you have to hold the ESA button down for a few sceonds until the display changes from one helmet to one helmet/luggage and then hold down again untill it changes to to helmets. Then the display will flash for 10 seconds or so while it is adjusting. You should feel the bike either raise or lowere depending on which setting you are changing. But you must hold then ESA button down untill the correct icon appears for adjusting the pre-load. If you just push the button and release it you are just adjusting the dampening.

WDaigle
04-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Sorry, I forgot to look at the date of your post. I would imagine that you have already taken your bike to the dealership to have it checked so so you either found out that you do not have a pfoblem or that there is a problem with the ESA that needs to be resolved. I was just tjinking that you may not have been using the correct procedure to adjust the pre-load. I did have a problem with my ESA when my 06 RT was just a few months old where it would not change the pre-load. They had to change the rear shock and the ZFE to correct it. When new it was working but not properly since the icon would only flash three or four times so it was not adjusting fully. After the repair it worked fine and have since had no problems.

mpmarty
05-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Back from the dealer shop. Great 200 mile ride. Diagnosis is the shock is NG. I'm told it is "stuck" in the two up with luggage position and won't move. Dealer found a shock on the east coast so I don't have to wait for one from Germany. They will call when it comes in and I'll take it back for installation. All under warranty.

Semper_Fi
05-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Excellent news! - glad the had the part "locally"

texanrt
05-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Back from the dealer shop. Great 200 mile ride. Diagnosis is the shock is NG. I'm told it is "stuck" in the two up with luggage position and won't move. Dealer found a shock on the east coast so I don't have to wait for one from Germany. They will call when it comes in and I'll take it back for installation. All under warranty.

That's good to hear -- Let us know what you think once you've gotten the ESA working.

mpmarty
05-05-2009, 11:44 PM
:clap I'm happy. On last Thursday the problem was diagnosed and a shock was found on the east coast and ordered that afternoon. Shop was closed Sunday and Monday. This morning the shop called and said the part was in. Wow! They asked me when I'd like to come in for the install. It's a hundred miles from my place to the shop and here in Oregon it's raining steadily. Friday looks like the lowest chance of rain and I picked that date. I've got an appointment Friday morning the eighth and will update this thread when I get back.

Tom K.
05-06-2009, 12:57 AM
Glad you got it sorted out as the same thing happened to my '06 RT last June. The dealer had never seen the problem before and assumed it was OK as the preload icon changed - but didn't flash. I bounced around with the preload locked in the 2-up position for a few days, went back and after comparing my bike to one on the showroom floor, the tech could easily see the problem. There followed communication with PUMA and a 3 week wait for a new shock which was installed under warranty. They also did a software reflash which seems to have resulted in a smoother running motor and better gas mileage so I'm now a happy camper.

One bit of weirdness from the re-flash - as I began riding home from the dealer, the outside air temp readout was stuck on -40o F. I had been warned about this by the tech and after about 5 miles, it gradually incremented up to the ambient temp of 85o and has been OK ever since.

Tom

bogthebasher
05-06-2009, 04:08 AM
One bit of weirdness from the re-flash - as I began riding home from the dealer, the outside air temp readout was stuck on -40o F. I had been warned about this by the tech and after about 5 miles, it gradually incremented up to the ambient temp of 85o and has been OK ever since.

Tom

I think this is normal behaviour - I have seen this in my wife's 2007 which I had a software upgrade after changing to Wilbers... Computers sure didn't like not having ESA available.

But just like you, the temperature started out desparately out of whack and was right on normal after about 6Km - and has stayed that way for 6000 more. :thumb

mpmarty
05-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Well on Friday the eighth I showed up at 0945 and by 1115 the new shock was on and the wrench fired up the computer to set it up. After two hours of the computer refusing to recognize the new shock he pulled it out and looked carefully at the wire harness from the shock to the bike. The three prong connector looked OK but inside the harness were only two wires. We now wait for another rear shock. I'm still riding my buckboard.

leadfoot
05-20-2009, 02:10 AM
Well on Friday the eighth I showed up at 0945 and by 1115 the new shock was on and the wrench fired up the computer to set it up. After two hours of the computer refusing to recognize the new shock he pulled it out and looked carefully at the wire harness from the shock to the bike. The three prong connector looked OK but inside the harness were only two wires. We now wait for another rear shock. I'm still riding my buckboard.

What luck, at least I am not the only one! Not to hijack your thread, but I realized today that mine seems to be stuck in the Sport damping position. At least my Preload changes, but it still is pretty stiff from the rebound setting. I read my manual and it stated that both the Preload AND Damping could only be changed if the bike was not moving. Funny, seems I had been able to change the Damping on the fly, with a noticeable difference. My thoughts are if the Damping cannot be switched on the fly, then the settings would not change on the display when I try. I am a bit confused by this........can someone elaborate??

BTW, good luck with the second try MPMARTY!

andrewsi
05-20-2009, 03:34 AM
I think ESA was changed at some point by software, but the manual wasn't. You can change between sport/normal/comfort settings on the fly, but you definitely have to be stopped to change between 1-up/2-up/bags.

leadfoot
05-20-2009, 06:16 PM
I think ESA was changed at some point by software, but the manual wasn't. You can change between sport/normal/comfort settings on the fly, but you definitely have to be stopped to change between 1-up/2-up/bags.

That is what I thought might be the case. Hopefully an inconvenient 110 mile trip to my dealer will prove to be just a software re-write issue....HOPE SO, this thing is great in the turns, but is killin' me on the Interstate.

mpmarty
06-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Well it's been nearly three weeks now and the dealership has now got four rear shocks on hand, none of which will work on my 2006 RT! After many discussions with BMW in Germany it was finally decided that the warranty work will include replacing the computer Z** something or other in order for it to accept a two wire rear shock. My original shock has three wires and BMW doesn't seem to have access to these any longer. All rear ESA shocks are now two wire.

Owners of 05 - 07 RTs with ESA be warned! If you need to replace a rear shock you will also have to buy the new computer.

Good grief. I'm very glad the bike is still under factory warranty.

New computer is due in next week from Germany and I'll go back for the necessary replacements. This should be interesting. I wonder what incompatibilities will be found with the new computer?:dance