PDA

View Full Version : Question about tires

MRGR1200RT
04-29-2009, 08:32 PM
My 2005 R1200RT needs some new tires. Can anyone give me feed back on Metzler's or Michelin's? This is my first BMW and I haven't had to get tires for quite a while.
Thanks for the info in advance.

BMorleyW
04-29-2009, 11:16 PM
When I got my 2004 in RT February 2008 it had some crappy Dunlops on that were spent at 3400 miles (when I got the bike). I have since put two sets of Metszler Z6s on with a 7,000 mile trip to Alaska last summer (now have 18,000 on the bike). The Z6 is a great tire, wonderful in the rain, I know, I had ten days in a row of it in BC, Alaska and the Yukon. However this Saturday I'm installing a Michelin Pilot Road 2 in the rear and before this summer's Northern Canada to Nova Scotia to the BMW Rally trip beginning on June 10 I'll also put on a new Pilot Road 2 in the front. Why the switch? Because I want to see if the Pilot Road will be a little better in the gravel and occasional mud that I encounter with camping on all my trips. The Z6 rear tire has a smooth middle and can get a little squirrelly in the gravel/mud. I'm hoping the Michelin will be a little better with a slightly more agressive tread in the middle of the tire. I figure that I'll need a new rear tire by the time I hit the rally this year and will choose between the Z6 or the new Interactive Z6 and the Pilot Road based upon my experience with the 8,000 miles or so I'll do getting to Johnson City. Does that help or just further confuse?:banghead Steve

NavyDad
04-30-2009, 02:21 PM
I think tires are more of a "what works for you" item. I like Avon Storms on my 04 RT. I ride two up 99% of time and the Avons give me a good ride, good traction wet or dry, and handle the twisties well. I get 9 to 10K from a rear and 14K from a front tire. I admit I haven't tried a lot of different brands and maybe I should give some others a shot, but the Avons work for me.

kgadley01
04-30-2009, 02:51 PM
I got away from the Z6's because of no wear indicators on the rear. they were a good tire though. I'm now running Radial ME 880's and they do a great job...

bikerfish1100
04-30-2009, 06:19 PM
btw, for future reference, your R12 is a Hexhead variant, not an Oilhead.

tire threads are plentiful (too much so, in the opinion of many), so try a search- it is actually a much faster response time than waiting for this paint to dry.

CHolt37215
05-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I own a 2003 RT and installed a set of Michelin Pilot Road Two tires last May. I now have about 8,000 miles on the tires and they are still going strong. About 4,000 of the miles came on my trip to Yellowstone last June. Most of that trip was done on Interstate but with many, many different types of asphalt with rain and even hail. I always felt that the tires were in full contact with the road and the handling was excellent. I have also spend time in the Middle Tennesse area on the backroads where the Pilot Two gives a solid performance in the curves.

I have noticed some flattening of the tire in the center. This is probably due to the Interstate travel. The side treads still have plenty of wear. I expect to change out around 10,000 miles and will go with the Michelins. I run about 42 lbs. in the rear and 36 lbs. in the front.

BUBBAZANETTI
05-01-2009, 04:17 PM
going to hexheads

ROGSLATER
05-03-2009, 12:32 AM
My 2005 R1200RT needs some new tires. Can anyone give me feed back on Metzler's or Michelin's? This is my first BMW and I haven't had to get tires for quite a while.
Thanks for the info in advance.

I have just replaced the original Pilot Roads with Pilot Road 2. on 1200 RT. Hopefully these will cure the premature profile flattening on the rear. The bigest improvement was going with a 170/60 rear. This has resulted in lightening the steering in the twisties with truly hands off steering in corners which I could never do on the 180 tyre, even when new. As the section flatened out on the 180 it got to the point the bike was real hard work in the twisties because of the very considerable effort to change direction and constant counter steering in the corners. Another positive is the speedo that was 2 mph fast on the 180 tyre is now spot on according to the GPS.

Roger

TGA57589
05-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Just bought 2 Metz's today and I had a blast making my own 22mm allen wrench to get the axle out. Sears should just close the doors when you ask them for something other than a saw (they didn't know what a 22mm allen wrench was). I used a 22mm. socket with a nut duct taped inside the socket that made up for not having a 22mm allen wrench. It worked great and I plan to buy a 22mm allen wrench and will cut a piece off with a cut-off wheel for next time.

Oh and incidently, I had the original Battleaxes on my RT and they got the boot. I had good luck with my '06 RT on Metzeler's so I just went with what worked.

roborider
05-05-2009, 10:06 PM
This axle nut tool will cover just about any bike you need to work on and is only $18. I have one and it works great (I work on a lot of different bikes).

Robo

http://www.oesaccessories.com/SpecialTools.html

professor
05-06-2009, 09:54 AM
I have a set of Dunlop Road Smart tires on my '07RT. Great traction and seem to be wearing well, but I haven't had them that long. The rear is flattening a bit, but 90% of my riding is to work and back and there is only one decent curve in the entire 20 miles.

easy
05-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Avon Storm ST :thumb

Easy :german