PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty

mpmarty
04-27-2009, 08:04 PM
My factory warranty ends on June 30th this year. I have been looking for an extended warranty and thanks to BMWMOA I found CONTEGO DIRECT www.contegodirect.com and now have six more years of full coverage on my 1200RT. These folks are great to deal with and their prices are half of what the dealerships charge. It seems they sell to the dealerships also but the dealers mark up the price 100%. All told it took ten minutes to fill out the online form, give them a credit card and check out. I got an instant receipt by email and as I reviewed the actual service contract online I know what I bought. The package will be mailed to me in the next day or so. My situation is ideal as claims brought for damage in the first thirty days are not covered. I've got over sixty days before my factory warranty runs out.:deal

LONERANGER
04-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the link. I was looking at a plan from Max BMW and it cost $1,200. This seems much better.

Kenn45
04-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Has anyone had a claim with this company and how was the experience? Here in the St. Louis area there has been a lot of coverage about unsatisfied customers of extended warranty companies, and the MO Attorney General is pursuing at least one company--not this one. Nonetheless, I am wondering about experiences with this company. I have another year and a half on the bike, but am looking at my car warranty expiring in Nov.

TomBarnhart
04-28-2009, 03:23 PM
When I checked their "instant quote" box I found that they do not do business in a number of states. Florida and PA plus others.

mpmarty
04-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Florida has some of the weirdest insurance rules in the US.
The website has a link to the Better Business Bureau. If there were a problem the bureau would acknowledge it. The underlying coverage is provided strangely enough by American Bankers Insurance Co. of........... You guessed it Florida.

The actual servicing company is National auto care company and their BBB rating is:

BBB Accreditation

This company has been a BBB Accredited business since April 1987. This means it supports BBB's services to the public and meets our BBB Accreditation standards.

BBB Rating

Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of B+.
Reasons for this rating include:

BMW OF NORTH AMERICA has a BBB rating of -C or C minus.

Polarbear
04-28-2009, 06:13 PM
When I got my GSA new in Feb.'08, I got the extended warranty to 7 years, a first for me. Western is my company and they seem to have a great rep.. I've already got 32000 miles and I called them to ask if the warranty I bought was the full 7 years, because my GSA will run out of warranty the first year and a half at 36000. BMW goes to 3 years and 36k and my extended picks it up, whichever comes first, then on:). I was not sure the extended would cover me, because its a four year extension over the factory warranty. I suspect I get 4 years, after I hit 36000 miles? Not the 7 year. Anyhow, know your warranty is an extension and once the factory one expires you are on the extension you bought. It can be 4, 5, 6 years, depending on your miles ridden on the original warranty. Randy