PDA

View Full Version : Help! Chewed up spark plug wire!

bmw4life
04-25-2009, 01:32 AM
As I tried to do my valve adjustment this evening on my r1200rt, I ended up chewing the spark plug coil cap.:banghead :banghead :banghead
I used Mac parnes spark plug cap puller. I held it securely at pulled out straight towards me . After multiple attemp this is the out come. See picture below.
Now the Marc Parnes tool is not able to grip on the chewed up plastic cap.
How do I pull the spark plug coil now??? Please help.
I am assuming I need to replace the spark plug coil now?
I used the tool on the right side and it worked fine.

marchyman
04-25-2009, 03:18 AM
How do I pull the spark plug coil now??? Please help.
I am assuming I need to replace the spark plug coil now?
I used the tool on the right side and it worked fine.

First, disconnect the wires from the coil so you don't accidentaly make things work. It only adds another 15 seconds to the job. Then use two screwdrivers to lever the coil off of the plug, one screwdriver at the top of the coil and and another at the bottom of the coil. You might want to use a rag to protect the valve cover where it acts as a fulcrum for the screwdrivers. Put the blade of the screwdrivers into what remains of the slot for the extraction tool. Apply equal amounts of gentle force to both screwdrivers.

If that works easily for you (it should) and you are willing to to it that way all of the time then there is no immediate need to replace the coil.

// marc

bmw4life
04-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Marchyman,
Thanks, Your suggestion worked. I thought I was screwed when I had chewed up the ignition coil head.