PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Schedule '08 R12RT

afmeyer
04-24-2009, 03:10 AM
Does anyone know the maintenance schedule for a 2008 R1200RT that is one year old and has 12k miles? A&S BMW has the schedules but they're dated 9/2006 and the braking system has changed since then. In addition to the usual maintenance items, I'm particularly interested in knowing the requirements for the braking system.
I did do a search.

deilenberger
04-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Does anyone know the maintenance schedule for a 2008 R1200RT that is one year old and has 12k miles? A&S BMW has the schedules but they're dated 9/2006 and the braking system has changed since then. In addition to the usual maintenance items, I'm particularly interested in knowing the requirements for the braking system.
I did do a search.Andy - aside from the braking system, there is one additional change on your '08 model:

1 - Rear drive oil - change at 12k intervals. This may not be a formal recommendation on an '08, but it is on '09's - and nothing much has changed. I use BMW 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil (which is what BMW recommends.)

2 - Brakes - fluid FLUSH every 2 years from date of manufacturing. Meaning, if your bike was built in 10/07 - the fluid should be changed at 10/09, 10/11, etc. Two year interval, not done by mileage (but some people do it every 2nd inspection service.)

Other than that - the 9/06 schedule should be good.

EDIT - to find your bike's production date - go to www.realoem.com and punch in the last 8 letters/numbers of the VIN. It will show you when the bike was built.

afmeyer
04-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Don,

Thanks for the info.
When you say flush the brakes, do you mean just the wheel circuits or do you mean the wheel circuits plus the ABS system?

The FD lube was changed at 600 miles and I'll do it again at 12k. I used Mobil1 Synthetic 75W-90 and I was planning on using the same again.

I guess the transmission is every two years.

I tried to get the maintenance schedule from BMWNA and they would not provide it.

Andy

marchyman
04-24-2009, 10:08 PM
When you say flush the brakes, do you mean just the wheel circuits or do you mean the wheel circuits plus the ABS system?

I don't believe the iABS II system has separate wheel and control circuits. Bleed at the caliper, putting new fluid in at the reservoir, just as you would a non-abs hydraulic brake system. Or something like that, anyway.

// marc

deilenberger
04-25-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't believe the iABS II system has separate wheel and control circuits. Bleed at the caliper, putting new fluid in at the reservoir, just as you would a non-abs hydraulic brake system. Or something like that, anyway.

// marcExactly correct. Don't even need to take the tank off. 10 minute job. Fill in the reservoir, drain at the caliper. Don't let the reservoir level get so low as to allow air into the system.

Piece'a cake..

deilenberger
04-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Don,

Thanks for the info.

The FD lube was changed at 600 miles and I'll do it again at 12k. I used Mobil1 Synthetic 75W-90 and I was planning on using the same again.

This usually starts a big fight - and someone yelling about Magnuson-Moss.. but - I use BMW's Synthetic. It is uniquely red in color - and I buy it from the dealer and keep the receipts. This avoids ANY question about warranty coverage if there was a problem with the transmission or rear drive. And it's the same oil that the BMW shop put in the rear-drive when they changed it at 600 miles. It will probably cost me about $8 over the term of the warranty vs buying something like the Mobil oil, but I'm OK with that sort of expense.

I guess the transmission is every two years.
If you do 12,000 miles a year. It's a 24,000 mile item.

I tried to get the maintenance schedule from BMWNA and they would not provide it.

Andy

R80RTJohnny
04-25-2009, 10:15 PM
BMW Canada has no problem sharing that kind of information.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/En/model.php?model=R1200RT

The maintenance schedule is a pdf file

Good luck

deilenberger
04-26-2009, 01:29 AM
BMW Canada has no problem sharing that kind of information.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/En/model.php?model=R1200RT

The maintenance schedule is a pdf file

Good luckThanks for the link - only problem is - the schedule they have published is from 2004 - and doesn't include any rear-drive oil change, and still references the Integral (Whizzy) brakes.

It's a good guide with the additions I've mentioned above in prior postings.

afmeyer
04-26-2009, 03:07 AM
It is from '04. Maybe BMW Canada will provide the 2008 or 2009 schedule.

It's not that big a deal until you think about what I was originally trying to obtain for the bike I own. Even though I paid for it in full, maybe I really don't own it.

R80RTJohnny
04-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks for brining it up. I'll send BMW Canada an email requesting an update.