PDA

View Full Version : R1200RT new bike questions

Benchmark
04-21-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm a new owner of an '05 R1200RT and new to this place.
I'm thrilled with my new (to me) bike and have a few questions that I can't seem to figure out on my own:
1. My bike has the onboard computer and in the center of the display, to the right of where you can scroll through the temp and other readouts, there has been an icon showing up for a time and then going away that looks sort of like this: (!) except brackets, not parentheses. This is NOT the big ! icon in the upper "idiot light" area. I can't find anything in the manual that shows me the icon I'm talking about. Any wisdom on this??
2.To satisfy my curiosity- my side hard bags have a reflector on the left side and bmw logo on the right. My guess is one got damaged and then replaced with the correct color, but different year. Any idea which is correct for my "05??
3. My bike has lowered footpegs. This puts the shifter a little too high. I think I see how to adjust, but before I dig in, wanted to make sure I am correct. If I just remove the obvious lower side panel, can I remove the lever from the shaft and rotate it a little lower?
Thanks for any help!

LONERANGER
04-21-2009, 11:51 PM
The "!" could be your low oil warning.
I am pretty sure that the side case should have the reflector, not the BMW logo.
As for the shifter lever you should do a search on this site or the one below

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/cmps_index.php

for help on moving the shifter lever. It is not a hard thing to do.

I am not a lot of help on this for you but I am sure someone with more experience than me will chime in soon.

Benchmark
04-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the help.
I did check the site glass for oil level (on the center stand) and it's fine.

akbeemer
04-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Yes the shifter is easily adjusted; it's the common toothed spline and toothed orifice arrangement. I replaced mine with an adjustable rig; but I cannot remember if I had to remove the tupperware or just loosen the fasteners on the lower section. Give loosening a shot and if that's a no go then remove what you need to.
Congrats on your purchase, I venture to say you'll love the bike. Also welcome to the forum. There are some real smart and experienced folks here, and then there are guys like me.

azgman
04-22-2009, 12:21 AM
I think the side case with the BMW logo is a European issue, but I could be wrong.

fastdogs2
04-22-2009, 12:24 AM
I have a 2005 R1200RT and the side cases have reflectors on both sides.

The oil warning light is very sensitive on this bike. It likes to have the oil sight level at the full mark. Mine goes on if it is at the half way mark or a little below.

R80RTJohnny
04-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the help.
I did check the site glass for oil level (on the center stand) and it's fine.

To check the oil the bike must be brought up to operating temperature then let it cool for about 5 minutes. That's the time to check the oil level. Bit of a pain but what a bike.

beemergirl
04-22-2009, 01:20 AM
Isn't the (!) the symbol next to the tire pressure readout?

Did you get an owner's manual with your bike?

Nancy

wezul
04-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Isn't the (!) the symbol next to the tire pressure readout?
Did you get an owner's manual with your bike?
Nancy

Good point, did you get TPM with that bike? Could be you need to check that tire pressure!
Toggle through those BC display options and see if you can find it.

Benchmark
04-22-2009, 02:37 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the helpful replies.
I think the winner may be the oil level. All of your responses sent me back to the manual (again..more carefully...). I did find the icon as being low oil warning.
I don't think this bike has the tire pressure monitor-it's not a function as I scroll through "BC" functions (what does BC stand for anyway??).
Anyway- the oil level is on the low side of normal (checked after warm up and shut down). I'll add a little and see if that clears it.
Thanks everyone for all your help!

bogthebasher
04-22-2009, 02:44 AM
BC = Board Computer... gotta love that Bavarian logic.

Hey does the TPM work when stopped on that model or does it only work while you are rollling? It should give you a front/back tire reading in 36/38 psi or in European standard bars.

_RockZ_
04-22-2009, 04:25 AM
Welcome

good to visit
I also have a 05 rt LOVE it

and Yes this site and fellow beemer rides help Alot;) ;)

R80RTJohnny
04-22-2009, 09:35 AM
BC = Board Computer... gotta love that Bavarian logic.

Hey does the TPM work when stopped on that model or does it only work while you are rollling? It should give you a front/back tire reading in 36/38 psi or in European standard bars.

I have a Canadian model and the pressure reads in metric. The TPM takes about 30 seconds after you start rolling to register. After that you can check your pressures when stopped.

Neat feature.

dmilan
04-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Purchased my '05 RT this past year off of e-bay from Vermont.
It had the BMW logo on the side cases. Early manufature date? Canadian spec build? Euro spec build?
I'm not sure.
The rear reflectors are, I'm confident, mandated by some sort of US, state, or local decree.

Purchased a pair of reflectors from my local BMW dealer (oem). Heated (carefully) and peeled off the BMW case badges. Removed any residue from the adhesive which remained on the case lid. Afixed the new reflectors using the provided two sided tape.

The silver outline on the badges was wearing off/ fading in places.
Looks right zippy now, argubly safer as well.
Don't recall exactly, maybe $12.00 per side.

Dmilan

hlothery
04-22-2009, 12:55 PM
1. My bike has the onboard computer and in the center of the display, to the right of where you can scroll through the temp and other readouts, there has been an icon showing up for a time and then going away that looks sort of like this: (!) except brackets, not parentheses.!

This was a common problem on 05 RTs, and drove me crazy at first. It is the low oil indicator. Apparently, the float is very sensitive, and when you suddenly lower RPM (stop light from 55, etc) it would trigger the warning. If your sight glass is showing adequate oil there is nothing to worry about. There is a service bulletin about this (sorry, don't know the number, but my tech looked it up on the web site), and the float can be replaced with a less sensitive one. Not sure, but it may require a software upgrade too. This was a warranty item when I had it done, and it fixed the problem.

Benchmark
04-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks again everyone!
Regarding the tire pressure monitor- I don't think I have that function on this bike. As I cycle through the computer functions, it doesn't look like there is any icon for that.
Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be back with some more questions!

Tom K.
04-22-2009, 08:01 PM
As HLothery said, it is the low oil level warning. Unfortunately, many of the '05 & early '06 models had a problem which caused spurious <!> warnings to appear, even when the level was OK. One would almost randomly get all 3 readings (check, ---- and <!>) within a few minutes of riding. The fix, done under warranty for my '06, was a new sensor (float) and a software re-flash.

(There was no tire pressure monitor available in '05.)

Incidentally, I've found the best "dance" to check the oil level is (after warming the engine): park the bike on the sidestand for 5 minutes to let the oil drain (I leave it in gear to prevent a rolloff), park it on the centerstand for another 5 minutes and then check the sight glass.

Perhaps you can find a dealer who'll give you a break on the fix. BTW, if you do have it taken care of, you'll no longer be able to scroll to the oil level reading when stopped, only when moving. Also after the software re-flash, make certain your windhield still adjusts properly - an easy matter for the tech, but an annoyance if you've already ridden home.

Enjoy your bike!
Tom

ptwest
04-23-2009, 12:50 AM
You do not need to remove any thing to adjust the shift lever.
Lie on your back, looking up behind the body panel, loosen the top and bottom nuts on the adjuster rod then remove the nut holding the lower shifter linkage ball joint.
You can now thread the rod end (and the threaded rod) to locate the pedal where you want it. Note that the threaded rod is like a bolt, not a turnbuckle. Meaning that the rod and the rod end must each be turned to ensure equal engagement at both ball joints. Make sure you have good thread engagement at both ball joints when you are done.
I just did mine yesterday.

Benchmark
04-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks much, I'll give that a try.