PDA

View Full Version : No Headlight Please advise.

wrenchbender
04-20-2009, 01:44 AM
New to me R12RT, going to work Friday am headlights work fine. Go to lunch on the bike and notice a symbol on the dash, look in the manual when I get home and it is for the headlights. Start bike and check headlights and have nothing. High beam, low beam and park lights all are out. High beam indicator works when I turn high beams on. Please advise me as the nearest dealer is 3 hours away. I still have warrentee and will bring in if I have to.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

darrylri
04-20-2009, 03:01 AM
disclaimer: I don't own an R12RT, and I haven't looked to see how my R12ST is wired in this area.

I did have a headlight bulb in my R1100RS that eventually shorted out and melted the plug. This took out the ground lead and I had to rewire it. If you pulled the bulb you would know if this is what happened to you, it was pretty unmistakeable.

greenwald
04-20-2009, 12:57 PM
On the right side, underneath the dash area on my R1200RT, is a 'master plug' for all forward illumination. It is where I plugged my headlight modulator from Kisan into, and then replugged it into the 'headlight bucket.'

If that is loose or any of the wires broken, all forward lighting (even my PIAA's) is history.

Make sure it's tight. Might not be a bad idea to unplug, clean, and re-plug.

Good Luck - let us all know how this gets resolved.

Semper_Fi
04-20-2009, 01:07 PM
On the right side, underneath the dash area on my R1200RT, is a 'master plug' for all forward illumination. It is where I plugged my headlight modulator from Kisan into, and then replugged it into the 'headlight bucket.'

If that is loose or any of the wires broken, all forward lighting (even my PIAA's) is history.

Make sure it's tight. Might not be a bad idea to unplug, clean, and re-plug.

Good Luck - let us all know how this gets resolved.

Picture removed due to incorrect reference - suffering from spacial dementia.

Refer to Lensuz post below

lensuz
04-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Use this for the 12RT:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff121/lensuz/DSCN0017.jpg

wrenchbender
04-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Thanks to all the posts. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but will let everyone know how it turns out.

wrenchbender
04-22-2009, 02:38 AM
Previous owner had installed a headlight modulator so I unplugged it and reinstalled the bulk plu (g to the back of the light assembly and the lights worked. The factory plug for the light assembly is a weather pack plug (meaning watertight) the modulator, which is sandwiched between the light and the factory plug, is not. A word of caution if you have a modulator make sure it has a good connection. The factory plug clicks and locks into position, the modulator doesn't. I will not install another modulator until they have a complete watertight connection. Reference the above post picture (Primary Power/Interface plug). If any one knows if the modulator company has addressed this issue please post.

Another question is the headlight adjuster/toggle, do you turn the adjuster or what?

:type
Thanks all for your help!!!:german

greenwald
04-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Previous owner had installed a headlight modulator so I unplugged it and reinstalled the bulk plu (g to the back of the light assembly and the lights worked. The factory plug for the light assembly is a weather pack plug (meaning watertight) the modulator, which is sandwiched between the light and the factory plug, is not. A word of caution if you have a modulator make sure it has a good connection. The factory plug clicks and locks into position, the modulator doesn't. I will not install another modulator until they have a complete watertight connection. Reference the above post picture (Primary Power/Interface plug). If any one knows if the modulator company has addressed this issue please post.

Another question is the headlight adjuster/toggle, do you turn the adjuster or what?

:type
Thanks all for your help!!!:german

My first Kisan modulator failed me due to poor construction just after the WY Rally. A visit to Kisan in Colorado Springs later that summer got me a ring-side seat to their R & D, where the unit has been redesigned and is much more reliable. Suggest you give them a try, but make sure if you purchase from a retail source (i.e. Cycle Gadgets), you're getting the updated version for your model BMW.

The headlight adjustment 'toggle' can be turned in either direction with the appropriate socket wrench. You can monitor the realignment of your headlight beam by watching your lights against a line of masking tape on the garage door at night from 17 feet away.

If you completely mess it up (don't ask), you can always have a tech set it back to factory specs at your next dealership visit.

Enjoy Spring!

wrenchbender
04-24-2009, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the information. I will check my light adjustment. I will also check into a Kisan modulator.

Thanks again