PDA

View Full Version : 1200rt, 05?,06?, or 07

04-19-2009, 12:05 AM
I am looking to buy a 1200rt...my old 1100 has 130,000 on it and it's time. Other than a newer year, i am looking for some information on what year of the three is getting the best reviews...from riders.

darrylri
04-19-2009, 12:26 AM
I think you'll get a lot more response to this over in the Hexheads area.

===> SHAZAM! <===

professor
04-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Even though it cost me more, I chose a new '07 because I liked the way the brakes are set up. I know there were a couple more reasons, but I can't remember them now. I can tell you than I sure love my '07.

easy
04-19-2009, 01:47 AM
I'd get the latest possible model hoping they've resolved the final drive issue.

I began thinking about getting the new RT in '04. I waited two years and bought an '06 hoping all the bugs would be worked out. I never thought there would be a final drive issue, so much for planning. My final drive had the dignity to fail within warranty. BMW replaced it without charge. Unfortunately the dealer ordered the wrong rear-end so the repair took three months. So much for my summer trip last year.

There’s either a design flaw or a parts flaw, but since BMW is not talking we'll probably never know.

Final drive issue aside the RT is an excellent bike. But for long distance you'll need a better seat.

Easy :lurk

dmilan
04-19-2009, 11:34 AM
I am looking to buy a 1200rt...my old 1100 has 130,000 on it and it's time. Other than a newer year, i am looking for some information on what year of the three is getting the best reviews...from riders.

I have an '05, had an '07.
Long story.

'05-09 RT are very similar machines.
A few thoughts..

1. BMWs have a 3 year 36,000 miles factory warranty.
If you purchase an '05 or '06, 3 years are up, or nearly up.

2. Servo boosted brakes. My '05, and '06s I believe are equipped with servo assisted "power" brakes. Many would say, (most probably) that the non servo boosted '07 and ups are the way to go. Better feel, easier to modulate.
I, for one am not so sure. Sort of like the power assist. Either way, for me, not a deal breaker.

In any case, all have ABS ( I've never seen one without it) and the brakes are linked front to rear in the same manner.

3. Not sure, but I believe that '08s and '09s have the final drive drain plug at the bottom of the housing where it facilitates fluid changes.
Earlier years have the drain plug up at 3:00 prox on the housing. Final drive fluid change is still fairly easy, but complicated a bit with the drian plug up so high.

In any case..and IMO it's a damn fine bike.

Dmilan

marcopolo
04-19-2009, 03:51 PM
As noted, BMW dropped the servo assist on the brakes in the last couple of model years. They've moved the drain plug location on the final drive. Also, there are a few new options that were not available on 05s and 06s: Anti-skid Control and Tire Pressure Monitor.

akbeemer
04-19-2009, 05:30 PM
All the real good looking people ride 07's ;)

nplenzick
04-20-2009, 11:53 AM
I test rode an 05 when the 1200 first came out and a 09 a few days ago.
The 09 was much more comfortable then the 05, in fact I hated the 05 and bought a 05 LT instead. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two and I can't remember if the 05 had a low seat, the 09 didn't. The 05 kept pushing me into the gas tank just like my 05 GS did which by the way did have a low seat.
The other observation I made was the motor on the 05 seemed to sound better then 09 but maybe that's because the 05 had more miles on it then the 380 was on the 09.

DMR
04-20-2009, 02:46 PM
The horn on the 05 is far superior to the others. Very loud.

What the others said about the brakes, etc.

DR

_RockZ_
04-21-2009, 04:38 AM
had a O7 R and very hard on My neck damn handle bars to short so I made a trade on a 05 rt seems much better Miles will be the judge,put 10,000 on th R and about 1500 on the rt But so far so Good plenty of power and the brakes always work ,problem is I smell oil When I shut her Down

rglassma
04-23-2009, 01:21 AM
I have an '05 RT. I put 15K on it in the last year after owning an LT for three years. That bike had many problems.

My final drive is perfect. I know, I check it myself. I wouldn't worry about the final drive!!! If you had an LT, I would be concerned. But, not with the RT.. The big issue is whether the fluid has been changed at all... If not, problems can occur.

Here are differences:

'05 - Dual Horn (louder), Servo Brakes (better in my opinion), FD Drain at 3:00pm
'06 - Single Horn (I believe), Servo Brakes, FD Drain at 3:00pm
'07 - Single Horn, No Servo Brakes, FD Drain at 3:00pm
'08 - '09 - Single Horn, No Servo Brakes, Easy FD Drain & Fill. Low Version Available, ASC Available, TPM Available

All models have the same seat except the later low version. All standard models have the same ride with the standard seat. All models use the same lowered seat other then the lowered version which has a one piece seat for rider and passenger.

That's what I know. I've ridden '05 - '08 and they all ride the same with the standard seat...