PDA

View Full Version : EWS failed...then ok?

oilhands
04-15-2009, 02:25 PM
My R12RT threw an EWS this morning when I went to start it. I just had the bike in for its 6,000 miles service and the dealership told me that the EWS ring thing was a warranty replacement item. They had the part on hand and performed the service. When they flashed the computer memory they had some trouble, but they were able to get the bike on the road within a day or so.

This morning I started the bike and ran my kids gym cloths to school on my way to work. I hopped back on the bike and put in the key. When I hit the start button after the system check it said 'EWS' on the display. I freaked out (I had read about the issue on this forum previously) and assumed I was toast. It occurred to me that perhaps re-inserting the key might 'fix' the problem since I knew it was related to the ignition switch. I did so and it in fact did work. The bike started right up. After I got to work I took out the key and let the bike sit for 30 secs. I then put the key back in and started the bike. No problems.

Should I worry about this or what?

Semper_Fi
04-15-2009, 03:01 PM
It's a warranty item and the programming uploads are finicky.

When i had mine done it took over 4 hours and 2 tries for them to do it.

Short answer - bring it back.

It's not so much the key as it is the ring being able to identify the key and communicating that to the ZFE module.

This is an item that can leave you stranded.

AZ-J
04-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Agreed, bring it back. It was documented a few months ago even some of the replacement rings were bad, too. Have them change the ring again.

deilenberger
04-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Agreed, bring it back. It was documented a few months ago even some of the replacement rings were bad, too. Have them change the ring again.I don't believe I've heard of any of the "259" rings being bad.. some of the earlier replacement rings from BMW were.. but I have heard of dealerships damaging the connecting wiring by hamfistedly (love that word.. it's so visual..) overtightening tie-wraps that hold the wire in place. Some have had to replace sections of the harness to fix this.

First thing I'd be doing is checking all the tie-wraps that contact the EWS wiring. Second thing is calling the dealer and scheduling a service appointment. I'm willing to bet the EWS failure stored a code in the ZFE - and they can read out the code and get a clue as to what the problem is.

oilhands
04-17-2009, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. I called the dealership and the service manager basically told me I worry too much and that it was most likely just interference. Of note, when he was handing over the loaner bike at the time of service he said he had never had anyone ask so many questions (insurance & liability issues). Kind of odd. Oh, well. Sounds like he isn't going to do anything for me. Anyone have a link to some images of how this device fits on the bike?

RTRandy
04-17-2009, 05:40 AM
I not only had one of the earlier ignition antenna rings on my 08RT, I'm one of the chosen that had it flat out fail showing the big EWS making me completely stuck. On the first day of a two week vacation mind you and luckily I had a spare.

Anyhow, replaced that ring with the newer "We finally figured it out" series ring so no problem any more. Sorta . .

I've been having problems with my gel battery going dead and when there is barely enough juice left to turn the starter, or pretty much dead with just the clicking, I'll get the EWS. Jump start or charge the battery properly and no EWS.

In my situation it seems as if there is not enough voltage for the antenna or the system to read it with a dead battery, so it shows the warning.

Semper_Fi
04-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. I called the dealership and the service manager basically told me I worry too much and that it was most likely just interference. Of note, when he was handing over the loaner bike at the time of service he said he had never had anyone ask so many questions (insurance & liability issues). Kind of odd. Oh, well. Sounds like he isn't going to do anything for me. Anyone have a link to some images of how this device fits on the bike?

Item 6 is the Ring Antenna.

Please note that these part needs to be drilled out due to use of security screws (item 3).

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm43/Semper_Fi_LR/B0003784.png

deilenberger
04-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks Luis for the drawing.

Also note - if you talk nice to the mechanic doing your EWS ring replacement, it's possible he might forget about replacing the security screws with new security screws - and use plain old allen screws. Making it much easier if the lock ever has to be removed in the future..

Not that I'd know anything about that.. :dance :bolt