PDA

View Full Version : Salvage Titled GS

Jeffries
04-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Wanted to get some views on 2007 1200 GS for sale that has a salvage title. Given the below information, what would be a reasonable asking price and what items would concern you?

Here's the ad:

2007 BMW R1200GS in EXCELLENT condition. This is the ULTIMATE GO ANYWHERE DO ANYTHING MOTORCYCLE. This GS is ready to ride. We rode this bike over 15k miles this summer. It runs and rides flawless. The GS models are BMW's best seller for a reason, they are basically the swiss army knife of motorcycles. You really can go anywhere and do anything you want with an R1200GS. This one has the Expandable BMW System Cases, BMW windshield, 2 Sets of PIAA Driving Lights, Low BMW Driver Seat, Corbin Passenger Seat, Handguard Extenders, Highway Pegs, Crash Bars, etc. This bike is set up perfectly for long distance riding. The wiring has been done to the highest standards. There is one set of driving lights that are on all the time with the low beam headlight, the other is set to work when the highbeam is on. It is set up for GPS, radar detector, Ipod, heated clothing or anything else you would need to plug in. Get this GS and take that trip to Alaska you have been dreaming about.

This GS will come with a salvage rebuilt title. We purchased it at an insurance auction with very light cosmetic damage. It ran and rode fine when we bought it. The only part that you can tell we replaced is the handlebars and windshield. All the body plastics are the factory original pieces. We also replaced the top frame piece that bolts from the steering head to the motor. It appeared slightly tweaked so we replaced it as a cautionary measure. We have put over 15k miles on it since it was fixed with no issues at all. It looks, runs and rides excellent.

kgadley01
04-15-2009, 12:04 AM
There is nothing wrong with buying a bike with a Salvage title. just be sure all repairs were made. see if they have a parts quote from the Insurance co. ( why did they total it) the Salvage title makes it worth quite a bit less than an unwrecked bike. good luck!!!

308NUT
04-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Hi, I know the bike they are selling, I bid on it myself but was out bid. THe bike i ride has a salvage title . I rebuilt it not much to do but some and I have been riding it for over a year. Nothing wrong like Ken said just be sure all is fixed. Bike IMHO is worth about $3500

If you want one like that , there are several coming up at the insurance auction that I can get for you and you can rebuild yourself or have me rebuild it for you. I paid $300.00 yes three HUNDRED dollars for my 2001 R1100R with 14k miles and only put another $1000 into it.

Let me know if you want some help from me

Wade

kantuckid
04-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Not to go off bikes but I have been rebuilding wrecked cars as a sideline for many years. The comments above are on target. I'll add that what matters is this: Should the vehicle have been repaired based on the damage? (Sometimes the answer is NO, based on cost not possibility of repair) Was the repair properly made?Was everything that was damaged repaired? (some things are easy to miss)
I find that the original estimate is often not a good source of information as , unless you know the person that did the estimate it can be way of the true cost of repair. I have a 2005 BMW 325ix for sale right now. I repaired it @ 6k and it now has 34k.The original estimate (which I have) was for over $20k!!! I built the car when that model was new on the market and so was forced to use higher cost new ,OEM parts as few used out there, so my repair was as high as it could get , except for labor(mine) and I spent around $3k! It seems that there is often a concerted effort for various reasons to "force" the car to be totaled. It is not uncommon to see cars key scratched just to raise the cost of repair and push them over that edge. Another factor is "frame damage" the classic question when a car has been repaired! Well, it is common to repair frames and the real question is not just "IF", but what kind and how much damage and the normal person on the street, e.g., average potential buyer of a formerly wrecked car will not know much about that subject. Suffice to say that all complete body shops have frame racks and also commonly use them to make everyday repairs to vehicles that were not totaled.
Say, 308nut, I'm keeping your contact as I have never built a bike but might want your help to locate one in the future for a project. I don't have a clue as to dealing with bent bike frames, other than replacement...I have seen the ads for straightening them.

dbrick
04-15-2009, 03:06 PM
The previous replies have only addressed the mechanical and economic issues in buying a bike with a salvage title.

You should also examine the insurance question. Many companies either limit the kinds of coverage they'll provide for a salvage title vehicle (typically theft, collision, and comprehensive are at risk), or do not offer any coverage at all. Do some investigation, to make sure that you don't buy a beautifully-put-back-together salvage title machine, and find out you can't insure it...or that you can only get less coverage than you want.

308NUT
04-15-2009, 03:45 PM
The previous replies have only addressed the mechanical and economic issues in buying a bike with a salvage title.

You should also examine the insurance question. Many companies either limit the kinds of coverage they'll provide for a salvage title vehicle (typically theft, collision, and comprehensive are at risk), or do not offer any coverage at all. Do some investigation, to make sure that you don't buy a beautifully-put-back-together salvage title machine, and find out you can't insure it...or that you can only get less coverage than you want.

I have never had issues with insurance, I have had titled personally 7 salvage title vehicles and had them insured with Progressive. No issues.

Wade

osbornk
04-15-2009, 05:44 PM
The first thing you should do is check with your state DMV to see if you will be able to title and register it in your state. States have different laws regarding salvage vehicles with different requirements. For example, in Virginia if the estimate of repair (which you may be required to supply) exceeds a certain percentage of the value of the vehicle, it will not issue a rebuilt title and it can only be used for parts.

I've driven totaled cars, motorcycles and trucks for over 40 years with no problem. You just have to know what damage they had and make sure they were repaired properly. I tend not to trust others so almost all of them were repaired by me or my brother. I want to see them before they are repaired.

mitchell0481
04-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Once everything was fixed, they should have had to get an inspection before the salvage title was issued. Meaning the bike must be road worthy before it could be titled. Be sure to ask about the inspection. Plus get all the supporting paper work. Just like everyone else has already said.:lurk

kgadley01
04-15-2009, 09:08 PM
I have never had issues with insurance, I have had titled personally 7 salvage title vehicles and had them insured with Progressive. No issues.

Wade

+1 here in S.C. the Ins co. doesn't ask what kind of title you have. They just walk around the car, or bike etc to make sure it has no damage.

Bud
04-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi, I know the bike they are selling, I bid on it myself but was out bid. THe bike i ride has a salvage title . I rebuilt it not much to do but some and I have been riding it for over a year. Nothing wrong like Ken said just be sure all is fixed. Bike IMHO is worth about $3500

If you want one like that , there are several coming up at the insurance auction that I can get for you and you can rebuild yourself or have me rebuild it for you. I paid $300.00 yes three HUNDRED dollars for my 2001 R1100R with 14k miles and only put another $1000 into it.

Let me know if you want some help from me

Wade

I'm dumb as a box of rocks. Did you mean that an 07 GS, as it is described in the original post, is only worth $3,500 ?

dbrick
04-15-2009, 10:22 PM

You've been fortunate, Wade. The original poster might have a different experience. I think that assuming it'd be OK would be a mistake.

osbornk
04-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Once everything was fixed, they should have had to get an inspection before the salvage title was issued. Meaning the bike must be road worthy before it could be titled. Be sure to ask about the inspection. Plus get all the supporting paper work. Just like everyone else has already said.:lurk

An inspection doesn't necessarily mean it was repaired well. The biggest reason inspections are done in Virginia is to make sure the parts it is repaired with are legitimate and no fraud was involved. You have to have receipts for every part and many of the receipts have to show the id number of the vehicle the parts were removed from. It is also a source of revenue for the state.

308NUT
04-16-2009, 11:55 AM
An inspection doesn't necessarily mean it was repaired well. The biggest reason inspections are done in Virginia is to make sure the parts it is repaired with are legitimate and no fraud was involved. You have to have receipts for every part and many of the receipts have to show the id number of the vehicle the parts were removed from. It is also a source of revenue for the state.

I agree, I have brought several vehicle to DMV inspectors for the inspection report to have them retitiled. The most any inspector has EVER checked was that the VIN on the bike or car matched that on the title or salvage certificate. It is VERY easy to retitle car or bikes in most states. Ga. on the other hand you cannot ever get it retitled as far as I know.

I don't deal with private insurance co. any longer, since I have a dealer license I have a umbrulla policy that covers any vehicle I own, titled or not.

Wade

308NUT
04-16-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm dumb as a box of rocks. Did you mean that an 07 GS, as it is described in the original post, is only worth $3,500 ?

In my opinion , yes

Wade

kantuckid
04-16-2009, 01:36 PM
On this subject , it is important to make the distinction between a "salvage" title and a "rebuilt vehicle" title. In no state, can a salvage title vehicle be tagged and operated on the hwy. The state laws out there are written under the influence of car dealers lobby and not for the protection of potential owners but rather a crappy attempt at keeping people from repairing vehicles & bikes. Texas is an example of a state that has different levels of damage-BUT-keep in mind that as I stated earlier the original estimate is what drives the paper title and it can be way off the mark in both directions , but usually overstates the damage by many$.
The problem with the inspection thing in my state of KY is that a law enforcement person does it , not a professional repair technician, so what the purpose becomes is making sure the VIN hasn't been altered and it is a $5 fee at their office or $10 @ my shop for a waste of time , since I am honest.
As to seeing the damage before it has been repaired,that is a pipe dream for most people as it is a fact that there are many vehicles that are on the market that have been repaired-some were notated on the title and some were not. People that look at the car I now have for sale will find full disclosure from me in the ad and it tells tham to call me for more info than they will get from CarFax, YET they do the CarFax thing and call me and tell me I am a crook because it comes up with a branded title! OK, I am a criminal because I have the skill to repair the car and when I want to sell it, I should feel bad for some reason? These are machines were are talking about, not open heart surgery or going to the moon.
A branded title vehicle in KY offers a 15% savings at the PVA office each year you own it on property tax. They also represent a chance to save a bunch for the average person over the market place IF they are properly priced before and after repair.
Some insurance companies will not insure branded titles, but most will. Banks will not loan on "Salvage" title vehicles but will loan people like me-with good credit- the money to buy anything. I belong/bank with the largest credit union in KY and they will loan on the repaired ones. Some insurance companies limit the amount of replacement value that they place on a repaired vehicle-if the title is branded.
There are still some states in the USA that convert the salvage title into a clean title after repair and some "deals" go on wherein vehicles are not repaired but the titles get cleaned up or where the car goes through the clean title state-on paper- before the retail sale market is entered. There are states , FL is one, where some vehicles are marked for export only. I have seen many that had hardly a mark on them, it was just the mfg/dealer that apparently didn't want to compete with them for sales after the repair. The 2008 BMW 328ix car I drive(all my cars) was repaired by me at 552 miles(the mats had not even been installed) and the damage was minor -fenders,hood,lights,bumper cover,cooling,and air bags and would never have totaled the car out, so makes for a great car.Now, I ask you ,why dismantle that car? My explanation for the disdain for repaired vehicles is: 1. It is unknown territory for those who lack the skill and knowledge
2. It is a fact that some repair people are crooks
3. It is a fact that some people just don't trust others(slows the resale,etc.)
4. Everybody wants to marry a virgin! (and their car purchase is no exception)
5. And lets face it cars tear up and you have to blame something so why not blame the repair , no matter what, that the car is crap anyway- as in ill designed and so forth.(Lemon laws are a fact)
6. Vehicles have become very difficult to repair because of the way they are built, not just the skill of the professional is at play.(example is many parts offer no room for repair-(e.g., SRS system "brains", that no longer reset-dashes that blow out with the SRS-read air bag -and cause dismantling the whole dash,Headliners,seats and door interior facings that blow to pieces when the bags deploy-some do some don't)
7. Many potential buyers feel that I probably got a damaged vehicle for next to nothing and now am going to make big bucks off of them if they buy it. These same people pay big bucks to get their cars repaired and that's a reality, so why the attitude? I have heard this one more than once...
8. :ear

darrylri
04-16-2009, 01:49 PM
California seems to have fairly different rules than what has so far been described. I bought my motorcycle back from the insurance company after an accident that caused extensive damage, including a broken frame.

The insurance company reported the sale back to the state, which would have prevented me from renewing my registration with the existing title.

When I finished rebuilding the bike, I had to have it inspected at a registered inspection provider. Admittedly, the inspection seemed hardly comprehensive, but they did check the operation of the brakes and lights. I had to have the VIN inspected by the CHP. Then I could apply for a new title and registration.

The title and registration are both branded with the word SALVAGE.

I understand that California retains title records for at least three years after a vehicle stops being registered in the state. If someone applies for a new title within that period, then the VINs will match and the new title will also have SALVAGE on it.

308NUT
04-16-2009, 01:51 PM
On this subject , it is important to make the distinction between a "salvage" title and a "rebuilt vehicle" title. In no state, can a salvage title vehicle be tagged and operated on the hwy. The state laws out there are written under the influence of car dealers lobby and not for the protection of potential owners but rather a crappy attempt at keeping people from repairing vehicles & bikes. Texas is an example of a state that has different levels of damage-BUT-keep in mind that as I stated earlier the original estimate is what drives the paper title and it can be way off the mark in both directions , but usually overstates the damage by many$.
The problem with the inspection thing in my state of KY is that a law enforcement person does it , not a professional repair technician, so what the purpose becomes is making sure the VIN hasn't been altered and it is a $5 fee at their office or $10 @ my shop for a waste of time , since I am honest.
As to seeing the damage before it has been repaired,that is a pipe dream for most people as it is a fact that there are many vehicles that are on the market that have been repaired-some were notated on the title and some were not. People that look at the car I now have for sale will find full disclosure from me in the ad and it tells tham to call me for more info than they will get from CarFax, YET they do the CarFax thing and call me and tell me I am a crook because it comes up with a branded title! OK, I am a criminal because I have the skill to repair the car and when I want to sell it, I should feel bad for some reason? These are machines were are talking about, not open heart surgery or going to the moon.
A branded title vehicle in KY offers a 15% savings at the PVA office each year you own it on property tax. They also represent a chance to save a bunch for the average person over the market place IF they are properly priced before and after repair.
Some insurance companies will not insure branded titles, but most will. Banks will not loan on "Salvage" title vehicles but will loan people like me-with good credit- the money to buy anything. I belong/bank with the largest credit union in KY and they will loan on the repaired ones. Some insurance companies limit the amount of replacement value that they place on a repaired vehicle-if the title is branded.
There are still some states in the USA that convert the salvage title into a clean title after repair and some "deals" go on wherein vehicles are not repaired but the titles get cleaned up or where the car goes through the clean title state-on paper- before the retail sale market is entered. There are states , FL is one, where some vehicles are marked for export only. I have seen many that had hardly a mark on them, it was just the mfg/dealer that apparently didn't want to compete with them for sales after the repair. The 2008 BMW 328ix car I drive(all my cars) was repaired by me at 552 miles(the mats had not even been installed) and the damage was minor -fenders,hood,lights,bumper cover,cooling,and air bags and would never have totaled the car out, so makes for a great car.Now, I ask you ,why dismantle that car? My explanation for the disdain for repaired vehicles is: 1. It is unknown territory for those who lack the skill and knowledge
2. It is a fact that some repair people are crooks
3. It is a fact that some people just don't trust others(slows the resale,etc.)
4. Everybody wants to marry a virgin! (and their car purchase is no exception)
5. And lets face it cars tear up and you have to blame something so why not blame the repair , no matter what, that the car is crap anyway- as in ill designed and so forth.(Lemon laws are a fact)
6. Vehicles have become very difficult to repair because of the way they are built, not just the skill of the professional is at play.(example is many parts offer no room for repair-(e.g., SRS system "brains", that no longer reset-dashes that blow out with the SRS-read air bag -and cause dismantling the whole dash,Headliners,seats and door interior facings that blow to pieces when the bags deploy-some do some don't)
7. Many potential buyers feel that I probably got a damaged vehicle for next to nothing and now am going to make big bucks off of them if they buy it. These same people pay big bucks to get their cars repaired and that's a reality, so why the attitude? I have heard this one more than once...
8. :ear

VERY WELL SAID, Been there too.

as you, I have always fully disclosed the history of all vehicles I sell albeit salvage or not, however I was in business with a guy that was not so honest until one day he got caugt and drug me into it as well. Needless to say I am no longer in business with that person.

So

Salvage title good or bad, it depends on how you feel about it. Check with your local laws and make sure there wiill be no issues and go out find the best vehicle with as little damage as possible and enjoy it.

JMHO

Wade

kantuckid
04-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Many times the vehicle, after being wrecked, will be sold directly to a dealer or individual(can be the owner) and will therefore avoid having the title branded. That is one reason of many that Carfax is not a conclusive way to know history of a vehicle. These vehicles can have the warranty intact, just like any other vehicle that happens to have been in an accident.

deilenberger
04-19-2009, 04:16 AM
Folks, good thread, wrong forum..

It's being moved to Hexheads since it is about a hexhead.

Please keep your hands and feet inside the car for your safety and comfort.

WHOOOOOOOOOSSSHHHHHHHHHH....

We're dere!

kantuckid
04-19-2009, 12:35 PM
The subject was buying a salvage oilhead?:doh

deilenberger
04-20-2009, 01:17 AM
The subject was buying a salvage oilhead?:doh

A 2007 1200 GS would be a hexhead. ;)

kantuckid
04-20-2009, 11:57 AM
A 2007 1200 GS would be a hexhead. ;)

I stand corrected!:dunno

ghostrider1964
04-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Many insurance companies will total if the bike has ANY frame damage...that said I have owned several salvaged vehicles and rebuilt some, but I am pretty thorough when I go to buy. More than once I have caught dealers or others lying about a vehicle!!! I want the TRUTH!!! I can handle it... Carfax does not catch all...I have bought 3 wrecked bikes from individuals that had liability insurance only...clean titles and no listing on carfax...all 3 were tore up and had extensive damage... due to not being totalled, no inspections or trail to give away the damage once repaired...I on the otherhand have a conscience and will not sell something unless I disclose all...:gerg