PDA

View Full Version : R12RT - No grease on U-joint splines

alzyck
04-13-2009, 08:03 PM
I am in the process of doing the 12K mile service on my 08 R12RT.

Based on the great recommendations here, I decided when I changed the rear drive fluid (new style - drain in bottom), I'd go ahead, drop the rear drive and lube the splines with Pro Molly 60.

When I dropped the rear drive and exposed the splines, I was surprised that there was no grease on the splines. They were totally dry. There was a small amount of what looked like lithium grease around the edge of the boot to seal the boot, but no grease on the splines.

Is this normal? Does BMW not lube the splines and it's a field practice folks have adopted?

henzilla
04-13-2009, 08:33 PM
I have dropped at least 8 different Hexhead and K bike EVO drives to drain . They have been everywhere from no lube at all to a small amount of a lithium based product. I would think the small amount ones are from the 600 mile lube change at local dealers when BMW started flushing the drives.
I lube them now as I do on oilheads. My service ROM CD does not show it as a maint item...that disc was early '05 before the Roadster was added to the lineup.

BTW...you did secure a new nut for attaching the FD to the torque arm? It is a one time use only.They typically come off distorted.

cjack
04-13-2009, 08:53 PM
BMW does lube the splines, but they are not consistent. I have seen dry GS splines and well lubed K12S splines. I have also seen a GS where the drive shaft would not come loose from the drive after heat, penetrating oil, days of time, etc.
So it would be wise to lube them even if you don't have to drop the drive to change the oil.

marchyman
04-13-2009, 09:10 PM
BTW...you did secure a new nut for attaching the FD to the torque arm? It is a one time use only.They typically come off distorted.

They are distorted (elliptical, not round) before they go on... they come off round. :bolt

For those who don't know what we are talking about, BMW calls them a mechanical thread lock. The same kind of nut goes on the upper shock mount.

// marc

alzyck
04-13-2009, 09:13 PM

I did, but I appreciate the reminder. It would be easy to overlook it.

henzilla
04-13-2009, 10:39 PM
They are distorted (elliptical, not round) before they go on... they come off round. :bolt

For those who don't know what we are talking about, BMW calls them a mechanical thread lock. The same kind of nut goes on the upper shock mount.

// marc

I wonder if they go back to eliptical being so soft? I have two old ones sitting on bench and they are def distorted...have a bag with a few new ones and now you have me walking out to the shop to look:laugh
Have a few friends that re use them ...I do not!

04-14-2009, 12:31 AM
The nut you are talking about is nothing special, It's a metric prevailing torque nut any good hardware store should have them. They are to be used one time so it's good to have a few around.

Ken G.

deilenberger
04-14-2009, 01:55 AM
I wonder if they go back to eliptical being so soft? I have two old ones sitting on bench and they are def distorted...have a bag with a few new ones and now you have me walking out to the shop to look:laugh
Have a few friends that re use them ...I do not!Used with medium strength Loctite (tm) they are IMHO safe to reuse. The distortion is there to provide locking strength. Since they can be removed without heat - the locking strength is less than RED Loctite, so BLUE (medium strength) should be adequate.

Of course if your rear axle falls off due to doing this - I never said for YOU to do it, I just state what I do.

LONERANGER
04-14-2009, 11:36 AM
I just changed my final drive fluid last weekend on my 08. I also decided to drop the final drive to check out the splines. Mine were dry as a bone which really surprised me. I coated them good with Molly lube. I have a hard time getting it to go back together but it finally popped in. I did not know that I would have to have a new nut. I reused the original one but I am going in for my 6000 mile service next month so I will have it replaced then and pick up a few extra's.

Semper_Fi
04-14-2009, 11:56 AM
As part of my regular maintanace I lube the splines when I change oil and tranny.

Might be too much - but she's up on the lift - why not

I change the nut every time - i think it is $0.73

LONERANGER
04-14-2009, 12:58 PM
I agree with Semper_Fi. I will also lube the splines at every change. I was in a real tissy about what type/brand of fluid for the final drive and tranny to use. I checked out all the foums and there were many different opinions as to brand, weight and synthetic or not. I decided to use Mobil 1 synthetic. I have used it in all my bikes with no problems.