PDA

View Full Version : Factory lowered R1200RT

themayer
04-13-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm close to making a decision on a new, factory-lowered R1200RT. Finding that ESA is not available on the low model was a surprise, but I decided that I could live with it. What is more disturbing is that the saddle is completely different. Not only is it a one-piece rather than two-piece, but the anchor system is different. I'm afraid that this will limit my options in the saddle aftermarket. Has anyone out there gone shopping for a saddle for the lowered RT?

beemergirl
04-14-2009, 12:41 AM
The '09 factory lowered RT is my second BMW. My F had a horribly painful seat....by back ached. The seat on the RT is fine.....nothing bothers me. Hips, back, butt....all good.

You may not need an aftermarket seat but if you do, can't you just send the seat pan in and have them do it on the pan?

JT_R1200RT
04-14-2009, 05:00 AM
Maybe I have road dirt bikes to long, but it never crossed my mind to get a lowered seat on my R1200RT. Being 5'8" I went with the stock seat, it felt strange to sit that low on the bike when I tried the lower seat.

Bill is the lowered seat so you can be flat footed while stopped, I was just wondering what is driving the choice.

JT

beemergirl
04-14-2009, 01:49 PM
A lowered seat equals flat footing? Mine only equals toe touching. I got ripped off! :blah

themayer
04-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Maybe I have road dirt bikes to long, but it never crossed my mind to get a lowered seat on my R1200RT. Being 5'8" I went with the stock seat, it felt strange to sit that low on the bike when I tried the lower seat.

Bill is the lowered seat so you can be flat footed while stopped, I was just wondering what is driving the choice.

JT

I'm 5'6" and saying I have a 29" inseam is probably an exaggeration. I have a Sargent low seat on my '04 RT and it gets my toes on the ground, but I do a lot of in-town riding, and muscling that tall, heavy bike in and out of parking spots and other tight places is getting to be dicey. I'm 64 and would feel a little more comfortable cruising into my retirement being able to flat-foot a slightly lighter bike. Considered an F800ST, but I love the RT. Not ready to give up on it yet.

themayer
04-15-2009, 12:09 AM
You may not need an aftermarket seat but if you do, can't you just send the seat pan in and have them do it on the pan?

Yeah, I could do that, but I didn't mention that the 1-piece low seat is dead ugly. I'm sure this is a solve-able problem. Was just curious if any of my brethren (sistern?) had already dealt with it.

beemergirl
04-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Of all the comments people make about my bike, none have been about the seat. They usually want to know about the computer functions and electronics. I'm just happy they made an RT I can reach the ground on.

I guess the other option is to get an unlowered RT and have the suspension changed so that it's lowered (as you would have done on an older model). Then you're still have the two piece seat.

cjack
04-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Of all the comments people make about my bike, none have been about the seat. They usually want to know about the computer functions and electronics. I'm just happy they made an RT I can reach the ground on.

I guess the other option is to get an unlowered RT and have the suspension changed so that it's lowered (as you would have done on an older model). Then you're still have the two piece seat.

The factory lowered is about $175, and lowering it after factory is more like $1500 or so. Is it such that the standard seat cannot be retrofitted to the factory lowered model?

themayer
04-15-2009, 02:50 PM

Bingo, Beemergirl! That's certainly an option I'm considering.

themayer
04-15-2009, 02:53 PM
The factory lowered is about $175, and lowering it after factory is more like $1500 or so. Is it such that the standard seat cannot be retrofitted to the factory lowered model?

I'm exploring that one with my dealership. It seems to be possible...of course, then you've raised the seat height again.

cjack
04-15-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm exploring that one with my dealership. It seems to be possible...of course, then you've raised the seat height again.

The low factory option is called the ultra low seat. There is also a low and standard two piece seat.

beemergirl
04-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Ok then....the Ultralow seat cannot be exchanged with the other two seats.
And BMW didn't have a heated seat on the Ultralow either. No ESA option and no heat. There are tradeoff's to being able to reach the ground and ride an RT:dance .

akbeemer
04-15-2009, 04:48 PM
That's it!! I'm opening a leg lengthening business; painful, but cheap and effective.

themayer
04-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Have a look at this, Beemergirl: www.sargentcycle.com/bmwwsr12rt.htm. Scroll down to about the middle of the page where it talks about the low seat options, including for the factory lowered bike. Even has BMW parts numbers for the conversion to a two-piece seat. Should have checked the Sargent site in the first place, though the conversation here certainly pushed me toward further exploration.

beemergirl
04-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Nice to know but the seat would put me higher and I'm already tippy toed. My bike had it's first drop today, I slipped on sand in my parking spot (I knew it's sandy there) and had to set her down. Dangit! But I picked her up using the Skirt method and it was easier than anything I'd expected. I had thought my first drop would be backing out of my driveway but nooooo.... As far as I know, no witnesses!

Anyways....these are the issues for short folk. :type Can't reach the ground, can't prevent a drop once at a certain angle...it's tough. Nice to learn about options though!

Kevin....I'd love longer legs!!!

Nancy

akbeemer
04-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Kevin....I'd love longer legs!!!

Well my legal team is looking into the idea and it doesn't look good. Bunch of wimps! They think people will object to spending many hours on the rack.

I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and I'm on my toes with the RT. It seems BMW thinks they are sending these bikes to the land of giants. I have a set of boots in with Dave the Cobbler in Seattle having an inch and half added to the soles. That will cost me $50 instead of $1500 to lower the bike and change the geometry in some unknown way. Have you considered platform boots? May sound silly, but give the idea a chance to grow on ya.

_RockZ_
04-16-2009, 02:57 AM
So What To Do About the headlight not adjusting when I added a lowering Kit on My 2005 rt

and oH ya What about the side stand seems to Long Now :cry :cry

Any Help?

cjack
04-16-2009, 03:29 AM
So What To Do About the headlight not adjusting when I added a lowering Kit on My 2005 rt

and oH ya What about the side stand seems to Long Now :cry :cry

Any Help?

Ran out of range on the headlight adjuster?
BMW has a lowered RT sidestand in parts. Or you could have a shop cut it down and weld.

beemergirl
04-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Kevin,

When you get your boots let me know if you can still get your left toes under the shifter!

Motorwerk
04-16-2009, 04:22 PM
When you get your boots let me know if you can still get your left toes under the shifter!

As you may already be aware the shifter can be adjusted to accomodate a taller heel.

akbeemer
04-16-2009, 04:47 PM
I have a TouraTech adjustable shifter and I already wear a pair of boots with a fairly thick sole (although not as thick as the ones I'm having made). I do not anticipate problems, but if I do I'll let you know.

_RockZ_
04-16-2009, 06:55 PM
so how do I tell if My headlight can not go down any More?

conrad
04-29-2009, 03:46 AM
I am very pleased with my newly lowered RT. I am 66 years old,
5'7", with a 28" inseam. When I bought the bike last year it had a Sargent seat on it (of regular height). I replaced that seat with a BMW lowered (and heated) seat. Still had to stretch to ground.
I dropped the bike once while taking the ERC course at the BMW plant during last years MOA Spartanburg Rides. Try telling your insurance agent you dropped the bike while taking a safety course. Anyway, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the lower suspension setup from BMW. The entire cost was around $2,000. That included both front and rear suspension, shorter sidestand, shorter centerstand, and about 3 hours labor charge.
The fit for me is perfect. The bonus is that I can raise it to centerstand Much easier. Mucho more confidence in parking lots and red lights. I'll be at Johnson City in July if anyone wants to see it.

themayer
05-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for posting, conrad, and welcome to the forums. One strategy I'm considering is to buy a used R1200RT and having it lowered. Did you have the work done at your local dealer? And did they present this as a package from BMW that included the lower side- and center-stands? It's always been presented to me as, "Well, we'll have to find someone to cut and re-weld the side- and center-stands..." :dunno It leaves you wondering if they will accurately calculate the correct new lengths.
Enjoy your new, improved bike.

mneblett
05-01-2009, 09:10 PM
It's always been presented to me as, "Well, we'll have to find someone to cut and re-weld the side- and center-stands..." :dunno It leaves you wondering if they will accurately calculate the correct new lengths.
Enjoy your new, improved bike.I thought the factory low suspension bikes have shorter side-and center-stands -- if that's correct, why not use those and avoid any welding/correct fitment issues? In fact, if you take a few measurements on the shocks on a factory low suspension bike, you will have what you need to have someone set up a pair of low shocks with the right length/ride height for you.

bogthebasher
05-02-2009, 01:30 AM
I thought the factory low suspension bikes have shorter side-and center-stands -- if that's correct, why not use those and avoid any welding/correct fitment issues? In fact, if you take a few measurements on the shocks on a factory low suspension bike, you will have what you need to have someone set up a pair of low shocks with the right length/ride height for you.

This winter I asked the parts department at my local BMW dealer to order me one of the shorter side stands for my wife's 2007 RT that I lowered with Wilbers shocks and the side stand was shortened by a local shop... the bike is standing a bit too vertical for my wife's liking so I thought getting factory stand would be great because it would be the perfect length. After looking for a half a day and calling back the parts guy could not find any reference to a shorted stand or part number for one. If anyone has a part number I sure would like to have it.

marchyman
05-02-2009, 01:42 AM
After looking for a half a day and calling back the parts guy could not find any reference to a shorted stand or part number for one. If anyone has a part number I sure would like to have it.

You and your parts guy apparently didn't look in the right place.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0388&mospid=48423&btnr=46_0930&hg=46&fg=15

part #1 is the side stand. There are two versions:
46 53 7 675 689 SIDE STAND
46 53 7 711 886 Side brace, short

Don't know any more than what see on the realoem page.

// marc

bogthebasher
05-02-2009, 01:51 AM
Wow, that was fast. Thanks!

cjack
05-02-2009, 02:17 AM
You and your parts guy apparently didn't look in the right place.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0388&mospid=48423&btnr=46_0930&hg=46&fg=15

part #1 is the side stand. There are two versions:
46 53 7 675 689 SIDE STAND
46 53 7 711 886 Side brace, short

Don't know any more than what see on the realoem page.

// marc

I wouldn't be too hard on the parts guys last winter. The parts numbers for the RT were not on the fiche until just recently. However the parts number for the lowered stands for the GS were on the fiche last year early. It sometimes takes quite a while for the fiche to have parts listed for bikes that are in production.

Largo09
05-09-2009, 12:33 AM
I replaced the shocks on my 08 R1200GS with Hyperpros and had them lowered by 1". My feet are flat and I kept the excellent stock seet rather than the thin lowered GS seat, which got panned in the press.

The shocks aren't cheap, but are a tremendous improvement over the spongy stock shocks. I though about at RT and would have made the same change. Even the electically adjustable suspension does not match the Hyperpros, or I suspect Ohlins (which we my first choice, but my dealer talked me in to the HP's). This based on my brief test rides.

tomreilly
05-19-2009, 12:42 AM
I just bought a 2009 RT with lower suspension and the one-piece seat. I had two RT's previously and did not like the fact that I could not flat foot the bike. I am 5'11" with a 30" inseam. This lowered model is three inches closer to the ground and awesome. The set is perfect for my heavy butt and comfortable. The riding position is a little more upright than even the lower two-seat option and I like that. I can flat foot the bike and actually bend my knees a little. It seems the center of gravity is lower and I know someone will probably dispute that. :clap

bubbagazoo
06-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I would be interested in knowing if there is a huge difference in ride quality and handling on the factory lowered RT as compared to a "regular" RT. I'm doing "research" in preparation of a possible bike change next year (I currently ride an '03 R1200CL because of its low seat). I had a 2000 RT which I dropped 5 or 6 times in parking lots that were not level and went CL because I could actually reach the ground. Now, I want something new. The LT has a reasonably low seat but it is just that much outside of my budget. BTW, the factory lowered option is a no-cost option in Canada. Just have to pre-order the bike.

beemergirl
06-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Congrats on the new bike Tom. Are you suggesting that you can flatfoot the bike? I have a 30 inch inseam and am on my tippy toes.

I haven't had any other RT to compare the ride to, but I can attest to the bike being fairly easy to pick up. Even this weakling girl can do it all by herself! Used the skirt method and it worked just like the videos.

The ride is nice and I doubt there is any difference in handling. The seat is so comfy I completed my first SS1000 a couple weeks ago on the stock seat. My butt/back didn't bother me at all.