PDA

View Full Version : 1200GS: 2005 vs 2007?

edvoneuw
04-13-2009, 07:02 AM
I've finally decided (ok, I finally have permission) to buy my dream bike - a 1200GS.
I've found a 2005 with 9k miles never off-road, and a 2007 with 26k miles some off-road. Both are in excellent condition, fully loaded, and both asking prices are consistent with kelly blue book values (between trade-in and retail). At first glance I would go with the cheaper lower mileage 2005, but maybe the 1st model year had problems?
My question: is there any reason mechanically or otherwise to chose a 2007 over a 2005, or are they pretty much the same bike?
Any advice much appreciated - I'm not likely to get a second chance at this...

deilenberger
04-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Ed,

I would definitely go with the '07 if it's within your budget. One big reason - EVO brakes. The new "non-power-assisted" brakes. IMHO they not only brake better, they are much simpler to maintain. If you can stretch to an '08 you'll also get an engine that makes a bit more power.

All my opinion - but I waited until BMW got rid of the servo brakes (after having them on my '04 R1150RS) to buy the first NEW bike I've bought in 30 years.

scqtt
04-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I agree, I would get the one without servos. Without question. I think the 05-06 1200 brakes are better, but I HATE the servos on my 04 Adventure.

The only other issues are the 07 needs to have an updated EWS ring if it has not been done.

It is possible that both of them have had or will have a FD issue. It does not scare me, but I have not had an FD issue yet.

Your results may vary.

The_Veg
04-13-2009, 08:26 PM
The '07 is in my biased opinion the way to go, at least if you dislike whizzy brakes.

I agree about the immobiliser antenna, howerever there are a couple more things to into as well. There is a TSB on the front brake line. It's not an immediate-danger sort of thing, but BMW will give you a FREE new brake line (installed on their nickel) because they don't want you to POSSIBLY have a problem with it. Also, the fuel-level sensors on some GS's (mostly '07s from what I've heard) seem a little wonky.

Now if you don't mind the whizzy brakes, the '05 sounds like a creampuff! :deal

cmartin
04-14-2009, 01:49 PM
I would get the 05. The brakes are better, require less effort. There is no problem with the 05 brakes.

deilenberger
04-14-2009, 04:21 PM
I would get the 05. The brakes are better, require less effort. There is no problem with the 05 brakes.
Not my experience between whizzy brakes and the new Evo brakes. Lever pressure is much more linear with the Evo non-powered brakes, and brake force is at least equal, and perhaps higher. Given that - and the much simpler maintenance, to me it's a no-brainer given the choices.

ltrider
04-14-2009, 04:52 PM
I too would go with the '05. I have an '05, and have ridden an '07, and can't tell the difference. I'm not sure on the maintenance (although I have changed brake pads on mine...simple), but will you be doing your own wrenching? Anyway, I doubt you could tell a difference. I would look at the price and mileage. My 2cents.:dunno

mistercindy
04-17-2009, 03:27 AM
My '05 12GS has 53,000 miles and has never had an issue with the servo brakes. And they brake very well. It takes a bit to get used to the whining, but I got used to it. And 9,000 miles is nothing. Hell, its really not yet broken in. That said, if you decide to get it, do check to make sure it was properly serviced, and have a BMW tech give a thorough inspection. With only 9,000 miles the bike has seen a lot of garage time.

The appealing thing about the '07 relative to the '05 is you probably have factory warranty left.