PDA

View Full Version : Stupid autocancel turn signals

podsobinski
04-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Is it just me, or has other people gotten frustrated on the auto cancel turn signals? I got a 2008 R1200GSA and find it a suitable replacement for my 06 RT and 02 GS. One bike in the garage that does what the other two use to do. Happy with it after a half a year except for those self canceling turn signals. They turn off way too early. Especially exiting an interstate you hit the right hand one before exiting and wind up hitting it again. They cancel way too early. Is it just me or?

gpodzo

swall
04-11-2009, 06:37 PM
I have not only noticed this, but that the turn-off time seems to vary. I make an RH turn off a well traveled 2 lane state highway on my way to work and hit the turn button about the same place on the route. Sometimes the signal cancels before I get to the turn-off; sometimes it doesn't.

Glenfiddich
04-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Wow, there are at least three people out there who actually use their turn signals!

I love the self-cancelling feature. When riding with the GPS, I know that if I start signalling when it says 0.1 mile to the next turn, it cancels just as I begin the turn.

Sweeeet!

Semper_Fi
04-11-2009, 08:58 PM
I just keep hitting mine until i complete my turn then turn them off.

so much for self cancelling !!

On lane changes on the highway i let them cancel themselves

henzilla
04-11-2009, 10:01 PM
My 05 RT seemed to compensate for speed and stopping, my 09 GSA does not, I have to turn them on more than once for most turns. I counted 5 seconds and 7 seconds on a lot of turns today.

marchyman
04-12-2009, 01:12 AM
The requirement for signaling a turn is 100 feet in most jurisdictions (I think). It's been reported that the GS cancels at 200 meters. That's over 6 times the legal requirement.

Why are you folks turing on your indicators so soon? :ear

If I see an indicator go on I expect the vehicle to turn in about 100 feet, not 1/4 mile later. When someone turns on their indicators then skips 3 driveways and an intersection I assume they are an idiot, not that they really mean the intersection that's now coming up.

// marc

Glenfiddich
04-12-2009, 01:30 AM
The requirement for signaling a turn is 100 feet in most jurisdictions (I think). It's been reported that the GS cancels at 200 meters. That's over 6 times the legal requirement.

If I see an indicator go on I expect the vehicle to turn in about 100 feet, not 1/4 mile later. When someone turns on their indicators then skips 3 driveways and an intersection I assume they are an idiot, not that they really mean the intersection that's now coming up.

// marc

Out here, driveways are about half a mile apart, intersections usually in multiple miles.

henzilla
04-12-2009, 01:43 AM
I typically hit mine when about 100 feet from a turn or as I pass the last info sign indicating a stop, or intersection. I don't believe the 200 meter thing on my bike...my RT maybe. When leading a group, I like to pass the intel back as soon as I can so everyone gets the info.I doubt its a 1/4 mile.
Signalling too early is confusing in congested areas, but I don't call folks idiots for doing it. Waiting until the last moment raises issues as well IMHO

swall
04-12-2009, 10:49 AM
I will signal early when there is a cage tailgating me.

podsobinski
04-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Good points brought out in the forum. But "marchyman" 100 feet when you are traveling 75 mph on the interstate! It depends on the your speed and amount of traffic. Turning right on an off ramp at 75 mph then right again at the end of the off ramp gets frustrating with my 08 GSA, at least three times hitting that turn indicator. Does anyone know how to deactivate it?

Happy Easter All
gpodzo

gwood
04-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I have a riding buddy who has, over the years, become infamous in our group for riding miles and miles with his turn signal flashing. This has caused him several close calls from left had turners, so in his case, even flaky self caneling signals would be a good thing.

When I bought a K100RS in 1985 (my first BMW), I couldn't decide if the coolest feature was the self retracting side stand or the self cancelers. My next bike, an R1100RSL, didn't have self cancelers, and I realized it was the feature I missed the most.

The manual for my 07 RT says that the signals cancel after appx. ten seconds or appx. 600 feet. Like the K, it seems like there is a tipping point between using time or distance to determine the canceling point. My bike seems to sense distance below 20 mph, and time above 20. Even having to double click them once in a while, I'm still glad to have the feature.

podsobinski
04-12-2009, 02:57 PM
gwood, when does it end when we let the actions of a few people change what us normal people do? Sure some people forget to turn off their turn signals, forget to put up their side, step on oil slicks at parking lots and fall when we put our foot down, or go too fast because are bikes have more then 20 horsepower, need I go on. Personal choice is what we are getting away from and over regulation and over technology is the standard.

gpodzo 45 years of riding experience

I want to be able to control my turn signal!

PGlaves
04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Wow, there are at least three people out there who actually use their turn signals!

I love the self-cancelling feature. When riding with the GPS, I know that if I start signalling when it says 0.1 mile to the next turn, it cancels just as I begin the turn.

Sweeeet!

I rode my K75 mostly, for 19 years. It had self canceling signals. Then I started riding my R1150R mostly. After 19 years of self canceling I would sometimes forget to cancel them. On one trip Voni and Karol Dietrich started giving me a hard time. I responded, "Sure, the one time I forget I hear about it. What about the thousands of times I didn't forget." They grinned and said, "Huh?"

So I was at Cycle Gadgets looking at a Kissan Signal Minder for my R1150 which is a bit of a pricey little object. Voni noticed what I was looking at and said, "You need one of those." I responded, "Not at that price."

To which she said, "Yes you do!!"

So I bought it!

darrylri
04-12-2009, 04:09 PM
gwood, when does it end when we let the actions of a few people change what us normal people do? Sure some people forget to turn off their turn signals, forget to put up their side, step on oil slicks at parking lots and fall when we put our foot down, or go too fast because are bikes have more then 20 horsepower, need I go on. Personal choice is what we are getting away from and over regulation and over technology is the standard.

Gpodso, you would love riding my R52. Manual start (kicker), manual richener (tickler button), manual spark advance and manual control over the mixture (no twist throttle, just two levers that control the air and fuel mixture). Full control over all engine management and bike operation!

http://darryl.crafty-fox.com/mcpics/2004/R52/SMeyer/DSCF0069labelled.JPG

Oh, wait, scratch that... it has autocancelling turn signals (eg, your left hand).

Cars have had autocancelling signals forever, and you know when someone has a broken signal canceller, because they run down the road with that annoying light blinking and creating uncertainty. (Can't they hear that noise from the signal? Don't they ever look at their dash?)

I am very conscientious about cancelling my signal, even on my self-cancelling '07 R1200ST. But very occasionally I forget as well, and I am thankful for the self canceller.

Maybe the GS is set up differently from every other R1200, but I always find that the self canceller lets the signals run a lot longer than I want. In town, where it really counts, the signal will stay on for several blocks. On the freeway, it runs for more than a quarter mile, how far from an exit are you signalling?

gwood
04-12-2009, 05:34 PM
gwood, when does it end when we let the actions of a few people change what us normal people do? <snip>

Personal choice is what we are getting away from and over regulation and over technology is the standard.

When tecnology fits in seemlessly, few people complain. When electronic ignition and engine management was first initroduced, I remember some people bemoaning the end of being able to service their own vehicle. I don't know of many people today, probably yourself included, who would want to go back to points and carburettors, just to be able to manually control their engine. I love being able to hit the button and ride off without worrying about having to set my points and rejetting my carbs just to make it over the Rockies.

I agree that personal choice is going away in many areas, but I don't know that we ever had any personal choice in the way products are offered for sale, other than the one we still have...choose not to buy the product with features you don't like.

podsobinski
04-12-2009, 07:00 PM
You got me on those points, I do not want to go back to my 72 Ducati 350 Scrambler and work on it 4 hour to ride it 2. But I did get use to canceling my own turn signals for the 35 years I have had turn signals. I remember, back in the late 60's I was the one who told my buddies I would never own a motorcycle with more than one carburator, I thought you could never get them adjusted, then I thought we could never have an electric start cause the battery could fail and we would be stuck. My next biggy is, I would never buy a bike with CVT transmission, it'll never be responsive. . . wait I might go to the Aprilia shop next week and look at the Mana.

gpodzo past his prime and technology is leaving him behind.

mtboulder
04-22-2009, 06:04 PM

// marc

These legal requirements were written prior to the invention of cell phones and people using them while trying to drive. I turn my signals on well before 100 feet and they usually self cancel before the turn. The left turn seems to cancel sooner than the right one (I think).

marchyman
04-22-2009, 08:17 PM
I did some checking on my '05 GS. I believe the 200 meter value as reported in various spots is accurate for my bike. 200 meters is about 650 feet which is about 1/8 mile (or .125 mile). Going fast or going slow my blinkers cancel at more than 1/10 of a mile and much less than 2/10 of a mile. I hit the blinkers when the .1 value changed on my odometer and it always turned off a little after the next .1 change.

I don't claim my measurements have meaning for any other bike than mine.

// marc

rglassma
04-23-2009, 01:07 AM
I am a little confused with regard to the purpose of this thread... Is this just a complaining session about the turn signals that no one can actually do anyting about, or does this thread have no other purpose?

My recommendation is to take the bike to your dealer and see what they say. You can always give them your feedback...

podsobinski
04-23-2009, 03:56 AM
Actually I was hopping somebody might know a top secret way of turning off the self canceling turn signals. Also, I wanted to see if I was the only one in the whole world that thought it was stupid to have self canceling turn signals.
So far, I fell like I should go back and find a 1969 Ducati 350 Scrambler, restore it and I will be happy it has none of the teckno wizardry.

gpodzo

marchyman
04-23-2009, 05:57 AM
Actually I was hopping somebody might know a top secret way of turning off the self canceling turn signals. Also, I wanted to see if I was the only one in the whole world that thought it was stupid to have self canceling turn signals.
So far, I fell like I should go back and find a 1969 Ducati 350 Scrambler, restore it and I will be happy it has none of the teckno wizardry.

gpodzo

Can't turn them off, as far as I know, but you don't have to use them. You can always signal with your left arm, instead. I sometimes do that when I forget which bike I'm riding :whistle

// marc

wezul
04-23-2009, 10:30 AM
So what we want here is sorta the opposite of a signal minder?
Like maybe a little turn signal gnome who runs back and forth across the bars slapping the paddles for you?
:laugh :stick :bolt

moshaffer
04-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Personally I like the self cancelling turn signals and they have been on my last three bikes, maybe four. I really don't like being behind a vehicle, no matter what it is, and they have their turn signal on for miles and not realize it. Yeah, yeah, I know I could pass them.
For the annoyance factor I put constant on turn signals right up there with modulating head lights.;)

calmil
04-23-2009, 05:25 PM
I like the self-cancelling feature. On my bike, the self - cancelling feature is usually overridden by use of the brakes after turning the signal on. You might give that a try.

Cal Miller
'07 R1200RT

hlothery
04-23-2009, 06:38 PM
So what we want here is sorta the opposite of a signal minder?
Like maybe a little turn signal gnome who runs back and forth across the bars slapping the paddles for you?
:laugh :stick :bolt

Why don't we petition BMW to adapt what HD uses with substantial success.....a bank angle sensor that turns them off. Worked flawlessly on my Road King. Surely if Delphi can do it............:deal

Motorwerk
04-24-2009, 04:55 PM
I believe it was either Kawasaki or Yamaha that used a mercury switch to cancels the turnsignals.

Ahh, the good old days.:)

04-27-2009, 01:40 AM
Really? All this fuss about auto-off turn signals? Call me crazy, but my auto-off is my right thumb! :stick

04-27-2009, 02:37 AM
I believe it was either Kawasaki or Yamaha that used a mercury switch to cancels the turnsignals.

Ahh, the good old days.:)

Ahh, yes. Lead in the gas, mercury in the turn signals, alcohol in the bloodstream.:bottle
Amazing were still alive to talk about the merits of self canceling turn signals :nyah

AZ-J
04-27-2009, 03:41 AM
Ahh, yes. Lead in the gas, mercury in the turn signals, alcohol in the bloodstream.:bottle
Amazing were still alive to talk about the merits of self canceling turn signals :nyah

Add swine flu to this one!

And my auto turn signals work fine, they just take way longer doing a lane change than a turn, though.

LONERANGER
04-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Why don't we petition BMW to adapt what HD uses with substantial success.....a bank angle sensor that turns them off. Worked flawlessly on my Road King. Surely if Delphi can do it............:deal

My 06 Leadwing had the same feature and it worked well. It was one of the few things that I liked about the bike.

podsobinski
04-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Okay, I get it. We are too stupid to remember to turn off our turn signals. We are too stupid to see the flashing light that indicates our turn signals are still on. Now, I feel, I have lost control. Old school, you could turn your turn signals on for a right turn on an exit ramp going 75 mph ahead of time, leave them on going down an off ramp, and leave them on turning right on an off ramp. Now, what is the difference then without self canceling, I have to remember to turn them on 2 or even three times doing the same thing. One step forward. . . two steps back.