PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Help

afmeyer
04-10-2009, 03:13 PM
I want to do the brake fluid flush including the ABS and a throttle body sync on my 2008 RT. Does anyone know where I can find a good DIY on the web. The valve adjustment DIY is great.

Andy
2008 R1200RT

andrewsi
04-10-2009, 04:31 PM
JimVonBaden's maintenance DVD covers syncing the throttle bodies with the carbmax balancer. There's also a pictorial here (http://www.jimvonbaden.com/page51.aspx).

On that topic, though, the local dealer (Ride West) claims that it's not possible to do a throttle body sync accurately without their computer hookup due to the stepper motors in the throttle body. I don't know whether this only applies to idle adjustment (as Jim's website seems to imply) or whether you run the risk of throwing yourself out of whack at higher revs as well. I'd be curious to hear opinions from those in the know.

PlaneGeek
04-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Good day Andy, Jim's DVD's are awesome but be aware that the brake bleeding on the ABS system for our 2008 RTs are different then what he shows in the video. The reason is that we have a different generation of ABS. I found the proceedures for our unit on www.bmwrt.com. Actually here is the thread here (http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=452441&page=1). Hope this helps.

sit
04-10-2009, 07:23 PM
My dealer has also warned me away from doing my one throttle body sync. Says when they do it, the computer does it all, nothing is turned, moved etc on the bike by the tech, all electronic by the computer. He has helped me on other maintenance items, telling me how to do it, what to watch for etc.

marchyman
04-11-2009, 01:33 AM
My dealer has also warned me away from doing my one throttle body sync. Says when they do it, the computer does it all, nothing is turned, moved etc on the bike by the tech, all electronic by the computer. He has helped me on other maintenance items, telling me how to do it, what to watch for etc.

That may be fine for idle, but cables stretch. I suspect that the controller can handle some out of balance due to mismatched cables, but as some point someone is going to have to take a wrench to the cable adjustments.

I suppose you could call that a throttle cable sync in which case your dealer is correct. Or your dealer has the robotic computer that turns nuts, too. :laugh

The latest version of the GS-911 software has a throttle stepper sync function. It causes the steppers to make funny noises when you select the function. I didn't notice any difference comparing before and after rides.

// marc

AZ-J
04-11-2009, 03:10 AM
That may be fine for idle, but cables stretch. I suspect that the controller can handle some out of balance due to mismatched cables, but as some point someone is going to have to take a wrench to the cable adjustments.

// marc

Right you are. About 1500 miles ago under warranty my cables were replaced. Recently they had to be adjusted again - why? Because they stretched quite a bit.

I could verify what the service did, using a TwinMax unit. It was all over going in, and buzzing along at 0 after the service @ 4K to 5.5K RPM.

gwood
04-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Right you are. About 1500 miles ago under warranty my cables were replaced. Recently they had to be adjusted again - why? Because they stretched quite a bit.

Just curious AZ-J, what happened to cause the warranty replacemnt? Did they break, stretch so much they couldn't be adjusted???

sit
04-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I would assume the dealer has adjusted my cables, I was just told by him to not start turning screws etc on the throttle bodies. Beyond that I dont know. I dont do my own TB balance. I let them do it. So, now I will bow out of the conversation.

AZ-J
04-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Just curious AZ-J, what happened to cause the warranty replacemnt? Did they break, stretch so much they couldn't be adjusted???

GWOOD,

The old cables did not break, or stretch too much, for the replacement.

Two of the cables had frays in them (snapped strands). My symptoms were an occasional had to turn throttle more than expected to get desired result, and an occasional reluctance to snap back.

But six months after the replacement, the new cables stretched enough to make my bike run quite rough @ 5-6K RPM. They adjusted the new cables then, and now all is quite good.