PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Shield

BBURROUGHS145907
04-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Noticed a small rock chip in the plastic headlight of my 08 1200rt. Does anyone know of a shield for this bike. Have seen them for other models and makes, but not for this particular model.

wezul
04-08-2009, 11:50 PM
I've got an '07 and I put the Cee Bailey headlight guard on mine.
They do not say it won't fit the '08, you may want to contact them.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/1200rtgrd.htm

alzyck
04-09-2009, 12:11 AM
I've got the CeeBaileys headlight guard on my 08 R12RT.

Although the photo isn't real clear, it looks like it took a pretty good hit on the right side on a trip out to Colorado last October.

I've seen some folks use the adhesive stuff that sticks right to the headlight assembly also. I don't know the brand.

http://alzyck.smugmug.com/photos/389701472_HUZoz-L.jpg

wezul
04-09-2009, 12:16 AM
IIRC a new headlight assembly runs about 300 bucks.
A shield of some sort is relatively cheap insurance regardless of your solution.

akbeemer
04-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Also check out Aero Flow
http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/products.htm

Have one on my RT, easy to fit, easy to remove and replace for cleaning. $84.95

greenwald
04-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Noticed a small rock chip in the plastic headlight of my 08 1200rt. Does anyone know of a shield for this bike. Have seen them for other models and makes, but not for this particular model.

Cee Bailey sells a nice one for around $80 (neighborhood of what I paid for one 2 years ago).

At $400+ for a replacement headlight assembly on the R1200RT, it's cheap insurance.

Good Luck!

marchyman
04-09-2009, 12:51 AM
I've seen some folks use the adhesive stuff that sticks right to the headlight assembly also. I don't know the brand.

Xpel. Can barely tell it is there. I've got it on my GS. I see they have it pre-cut for the RT, too. http://www.xpel.com/

// marc

BBURROUGHS145907
04-09-2009, 02:51 AM
Thanks for all the quick reponses. This forum is tops.

sailorlite
04-09-2009, 03:19 AM
I wonder whether spending $80 to protect this $400 part really is "cheap insurance". Maybe this is where it is smarter to self-insure - just leave $80 in the bank and play the (favorable) odds. Is it really likely that one in five of the 12RT's will need headlight replacement?

joelaw
04-09-2009, 03:51 AM
I would go with the CeeBailey or the AeroFlow cover. They provide a small space between the cover and the lens of the headlight. I have the AeroFlow on my R12RT.

I think a piece of clear plastic tape provides protection from dust or sand particles, but will be of little or no protection from a direct hit by a stone. I doubt even the CeeBailey or AeroFlow will be of much help protection from a rock or other large hard object.

However, I sometimes wonder what the chances are of having an object hit the headlight lens. I have been riding motorcycles (in excess of 500K miles) and driving cars for 54 years have yet to have a headlight broken from a stone or rock strike. Can't say the same for windshields.

The headlight cover is cheap insurance, that's why I have one installed on each of my motercycles. :)

marchyman
04-09-2009, 07:39 AM
I wonder whether spending $80 to protect this $400 part really is "cheap insurance". Maybe this is where it is smarter to self-insure - just leave $80 in the bank and play the (favorable) odds. Is it really likely that one in five of the 12RT's will need headlight replacement?

Are the odds favorable? I broke two on my R80RT and one on my K11LT. When I chipped, but did not break the cover on my K12LT I decided that this was going to be a common occurrence and that I should likely do something about it. However, those four incidents were spread over 15 years.

Perhaps it's a California thing. :dunno

Protection for my GS was in the $15 range, so it was a no-brainer.

// marc

alzyck
04-09-2009, 01:36 PM

The crack in the CeeBailey headlight cover in the photo I posted earlier in this thread happened when I only had about 6,000 miles on my RT. The $80 seems like it was a good investment to me.

If I didn't already have the CB cover, I would try the adhesive Xpel stuff marchyman mentioned.

In my opinion you need to stop stones the size of a dime or less that get kicked up by trucks on the interstate. I think either cover will do that.

greenwald
04-09-2009, 02:18 PM
The crack in the CeeBailey headlight cover in the photo I posted earlier in this thread happened when I only had about 6,000 miles on my RT. The $80 seems like it was a good investment to me.

If I didn't already have the CB cover, I would try the adhesive Xpel stuff marchyman mentioned.

In my opinion you need to stop stones the size of a dime or less that get kicked up by trucks on the interstate. I think either cover will do that.

I'm having a little trouble reconciling how an 1/8" film provides much protection against anything other than 'grit.'

The CeeBailey (or Aeroflow) products are a solid barrier for small to moderate impacts, and spending $80 to protect $400+ passes the muster with the CFO/SO in this household.

Besides - with the federal government expanding infrastructure projects (translation: dump trucks - lots of dump trucks), and municipal governments cutting back on street maintenance and cleanup (due to shrinking budgets), I suspect we're going to see a lot more debris on our roads and highways in the foreseeable future; hence more unguided missiles headed for my unsuspecting Beemer!

If you don't stray far from home, and everything is neat and tidy in your neck of the woods - great!

But for those of us who use these marvelous machines to wander great stretches of the country, I'd advise protection.

Safe Riding This Summer!

JAMESDUNN
04-09-2009, 03:37 PM
A stone can break your headlight in a way that renders it none functional. Could be a problem in the dark. Buy one and get home with lights working on a dark night.

PlaneGeek
04-09-2009, 05:10 PM

It's all about risk, judging by your location - So. Cal - you don't have to deal with much road debris. But for the the rest of us there is a lot of gravel and other items out on the road way. Especially if you live in an area where they leave the cinders down for a while after it snows... We got a bit of snow in December in January and there are a lot of locations on my commute where I'm still dealing with cinders on the ground. :type

alzyck
04-10-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm having a little trouble reconciling how an 1/8" film provides much protection against anything other than 'grit.'

I'm pretty sure it works the same way the 1/4" think elbow pad in your motorcycle jacket keeps you from breaking your elbow if you come off the bike at speed and land elbow first on a stone. It absorbs some of the impact and spreads the rest across a larger surface. From what I've seen, the Xpel is soft enough to absorb some of the energy of the stone and then it distributes the force of the impact across the surface of the headlight assembly.

I don't think the Xpel will stop as large a rock as the CeeBailey, but I'm pretty sure it will stop a lot more than grit.

One thing to keep in mind about the CeeBaily. If it takes a hard hit, it has almost no give, so it's distributing the force of that impact onto the headlight lens through an area about the size of 6 quarters where the round velcro attaches the headlight to the lens. A really high energy impact on the CeeBailey can still break the headlight lens too, but it would have to be pretty big or moving pretty fast.

EDIT: This is from the Xpel website --- our covers have proven that they will withstand a barrage of 1" diameter stones (about 1oz.) at speeds up to 120 m.p.h. with no damage to the lens they protect

akbeemer
04-10-2009, 02:59 PM
I've not heard of either approach ever failing. Both certainly have their limits, but those limits are unlikely to be reached even in extreme riding conditions.

lfranklin
04-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Go with the Xpel product. I have it on my 08 R1200RT.

Leon Franklin

PGlaves
04-10-2009, 03:56 PM
I just have to tell this story.

Sometime about 1990 the headlight on my K75T got a stone chip/hole in the front lens. It looked just like a window shot with a BB gun. I was on a trip. As an expedient I used clear packaging tape - 2 layers about 2" square - to seal out dirt and moisture. I intended to do something more permanent but never got around to doing that. The tape was still in place and doing its job in 2005 when the bike died in an accident.

Now I have a similar defect in the lens on my R1150R. Same fix. We'll see how long it lasts this time.

I do think I'll get a stiffer, better stick on protector. Good thread.

greenwald
04-11-2009, 02:01 AM
I'm pretty sure it works the same way the 1/4" think elbow pad in your motorcycle jacket keeps you from breaking your elbow if you come off the bike at speed and land elbow first on a stone. It absorbs some of the impact and spreads the rest across a larger surface. From what I've seen, the Xpel is soft enough to absorb some of the energy of the stone and then it distributes the force of the impact across the surface of the headlight assembly.

I don't think the Xpel will stop as large a rock as the CeeBailey, but I'm pretty sure it will stop a lot more than grit.

One thing to keep in mind about the CeeBaily. If it takes a hard hit, it has almost no give, so it's distributing the force of that impact onto the headlight lens through an area about the size of 6 quarters where the round velcro attaches the headlight to the lens. A really high energy impact on the CeeBailey can still break the headlight lens too, but it would have to be pretty big or moving pretty fast.

EDIT: This is from the Xpel website --- our covers have proven that they will withstand a barrage of 1" diameter stones (about 1oz.) at speeds up to 120 m.p.h. with no damage to the lens they protect

That's a pretty compelling explanation. Thanks.

Makes me want to see one of these 'Xpels' in person, to satisfy the curiousity you've now nutured.

marchyman
04-11-2009, 03:45 AM
That's a pretty compelling explanation. Thanks.

Makes me want to see one of these 'Xpels' in person, to satisfy the curiousity you've now nutured.

How about a pic? If you look real close you can see the film over both parts of my GS headlamp.
http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/p-20061205-2058-2234.jpg

Not the best picture, I know. I really should take another one of these days. I didn't use quite enough water/alcohol mix on the lens and my fingers when putting on the large (low beam) section and it is cocked a few degrees from perfect. The smaller (high beam) section went on just fine.

// marc

greenwald
04-11-2009, 02:05 PM
How about a pic? If you look real close you can see the film over both parts of my GS headlamp.
http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/p-20061205-2058-2234.jpg

Not the best picture, I know. I really should take another one of these days. I didn't use quite enough water/alcohol mix on the lens and my fingers when putting on the large (low beam) section and it is cocked a few degrees from perfect. The smaller (high beam) section went on just fine.

// marc

Thanks! The additional protection is hardly noticable.

Definitely something to consider on a future bike.

Safe Riding.

TourNut
04-11-2009, 05:29 PM
The Xpel website shows / explains it is a urethane film of some thickness that comes in sheet stock that is cut to size and you can also buy it by the square inch, approx. 8 X 21 rectangle would fit the RT at half the cost of $52. for the pre-cut RT shape. BUT , my question is : how well can you get a thick film to fit the RT's many angular facets of the headlamp lens ? Do you have to cut slots , etc. to fit that very complex shape and corners ? Are those corners protected ? What about film edge puckers ? What the website shows is a fairly simple rectangular, almost flat , CAR headlight being peeled or laid down!
Or is the RT product a molded -to- fit piece of urethane that fits the headlight like a glove ? Anybody have a picture of the RT Xpel product ?

lfranklin
04-11-2009, 09:21 PM
I have the Xpel product and had them install it. It fits wonderful and is very difficult to see. I will take a picture of it tomorrow and post the picture.

Leon Franklin
R1200 RT

marchyman
04-12-2009, 12:59 AM
BUT , my question is : how well can you get a thick film to fit the RT's many angular facets of the headlamp lens ? Do you have to cut slots , etc. to fit that very complex shape and corners ?

I don't know about their specific kit for the RT, but in general the stuff comes flat and you have to use a heat gun to shape it to curved surfaces. What you might want to do is buy a bit more than you need, if not buying the pre-cut kit, and use the extra to practice on a curved portion of the lens. You can remove it (or so I have read, I haven't actually tried) with heat to loosen the adhesive.

// marc

lfranklin
04-12-2009, 02:13 AM
I watched them install the Xpel headlight protection, No heat gun was used. They used their water solution and just stretched the material for a no bubble or fold installation. The only precaution they gave me was not to let the bike set in the direct sunlight for 24 or 48 hours as that could cause a bubble to form. Did so and I have a perfect application.

Leon Franklin

TourNut
04-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Mr Franklin, You said "They" put on your Xpel headlight shield. Dealer ? Was it the pre-cut for RT , specific item ? Are there cuts and slots or does it conform enough without that ? If it is hard to tell it is on and without slits and slots and puckers, I look forward to your picture. I would get a RT item and some extra square inches for the KC driving lights . A relatively handy guy could install this at home ?

lfranklin
04-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Help

I had planned on posting some pictures, but I need some help on either including them in this message or attaching them. I am using Firefox and it will only let me attach 1 image.

Here are some pictures of the installed Xpel headlight shield on my 08 R1200RT. The blue arrow in the upper left hand corner is pointing out the edge of the shield. The one in the lower center is the one slot that is cut into the Xpel provided shield. The edge of the shield is very close to the edge of the headlight lens.

My shield has taken a couple of pretty good gravel and rock shots and no damage is seen.

Leon Franklin