PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know why the Touratech crash bars no longer fit the '09 RT?

andrewsi
04-08-2009, 04:46 PM
The thing I find interesting here is that I have one of the early '09s (came in November) and I installed them, seemingly without problems. However, Touratech's catalog now claims they don't fit the 09 model year, and I've seen at least one posting somewhere claiming the same thing.

So my curiousity is now piqued and I'm wondering a) what I did wrong, or b) what mod did they make on the production line after my bike was already completed that causes the bars to no longer fit?

Anyone know anything more? I asked Touratech the same question but they have yet to respond with the specifics.

andrewsi
04-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Got the answer: the bars contact the alternator cover on the '09 model, there's less clearance than on the earlier bikes. This is indeed the case on mine (used a bunch of the teflon tape that came with the bars) but not knowing any better when I installed them, I assumed this was just par for the course. They bolt on pretty rigidly so I'm not terribly concerned about vibration wearing a hole in the cover, but I'll have to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't become an issue.

mreimler
08-14-2009, 08:28 PM
How's the install been so far? Any noticable rubbing on the alt cover? I want to add these to my bike but just got off the phone with Touratech and they said "the bars will sorta fit but they will be real tight".

andrewsi
08-14-2009, 08:44 PM
I just had the bars off over the weekend so I could do my 6k mile service (all by myself, yeah!) and I think the original assessment of the rigidity of the situation is still on. No visible signs of wear anywhere, although some of the teflon tape is peeling up a bit from dirt getting underneath.

There's definitely contact, but I don't see anything to worry about here yet. As long as you assemble the bars "loosely" to each other and the frame at first and get all the bolts into place, and then tighten down only once everything's been started, it's really not a big deal and I didn't feel like I was forcing anything in the reassembly process.

leadfoot
08-14-2009, 10:09 PM
I have the same bars on my 08 RT. They rub the alternator cover, which I am not extremely pleased with. Only pain is having to remove them each time I adjust the valves, but I do get a chance to inspect the cover. 15K with 3 removals, and no rub-thru at this time. Although I am considering removing them and just installing the head protectors, as they are a bit of a pain to R&R.

andrewsi
08-14-2009, 10:21 PM
I'd consider removing mine since I also have the touratech head covers, except that I need them to mount my highway pegs, and those have turned out to be far more mandatory for me than the crash bars! (See other current thread on highway pegs. :-))

When I bought the bike I was (justifiably, it turned out) petrified of dropping the bike. This is the first bike I've had that's this heavy and tall, and it's saved my bacon 3 or 4 times, but I've since gotten a lot better as I've gotten used to the size. But now I need it as a mounting point for the pegs that doesn't leave me all spreadeagled.

I'm thinking removing the Touratech bars may be easier at service time by removing the plastic first, it'd make for much easier access to the crossbar bolts. I just did my 6K over the weekend and it was a pain, but for some dumb reason I took the bars off before the plastic, and put them on again after the plastic, rather than the other way around.

ken e
08-15-2009, 01:07 PM
I have a March 2009 built RT, tried fitting the Touratech crach bars on and, as stated above, there was too much interferance between the top bar and alt belt cover. Could have ground down the bar or the cover, but thought the strength of both would suffer. Returned them for their aluminum/stainless GS type head guards 044-0360. They fit and look good. So far, only had a driveway tip over and they worked.
thanks
Ken E.