PDA

View Full Version : Cal-Sci on R1200RT

cwsenn
04-07-2009, 07:23 PM
I am preparing to take a 3 week vacation with my GF leaving Washington in June, heading to East Texas to visit Family and enjoying some riding and tourism on the way and back home. I currently have a stock widshield but have been looking at the Cal-Sci windshield. My stock windshield seems to do great by me but am wondering how improved the Cal-Sci windshield may be for my passenger. She has'nt complained but if it really helps then I am all for it. So, if you ride two up with a Cal-Sci can you help me out with some advice on how much it improved the ride for yourself but more importantly your passenger? I have never purchased a different windshield but have considered it many times so I have no experience to draw from other than what I have read here.

Thanks,
Chuck Senn

hlothery
04-07-2009, 08:03 PM
In short......it is amazing. There is quiet behind the CalSci for both the rider and passenger. My wife no longer feels like a bobblehead doll, as the buffeting she had experienced with the stock windshield is gone. One poster on another thread talked of cracks around the mounting bolts, but I have not seen that, nor have I heard any other poster talk about that. Highly recommended.

alzyck
04-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I was the poster that had the cracked CalSci's.

First off. I agree, the design in amazing. Quiet. No turbulence.

I had three of them over a short period that cracked. When the first one cracked, I thought it must have been because I overtightened the mounting screws, so I purchased the replacement.

With the second one, I made sure the mounting screws were only finger tight per the installation instructions. It cracked too. CalSci replaced it for free. Didn't even ask any questions (I'm pretty sure they've seen it before).

With the third one (the warranty replacement), I installed on a Saturday afternoon/evening when the temps were in the 60's. We had a cold front come through that night and the temp in the garage dropped to 35F. The windshield cracked without ever having the bike off the center stand.

After the third one, I went with a CeeBailey and haven't had any problem with cracking.

I liked the CalSci enough that if I could have gotten one I knew wouldn't crack, I would have stuck with it, but three bad ones is too many. Not sure if it was a temporary quality control issue or what.

Here's a photo of the cracking on the left and right side. When I've posted these photos before, I've had people say "Well, it cracked because you didn't have the mounting trim installed!" I had the mounting trim installed when the windshield cracked. I removed them to take the photos. The mounting trim would have covered up the cracking.

Right side

http://alzyck.smugmug.com/photos/490510369_EvF5o-XL.jpg

Left side

http://alzyck.smugmug.com/photos/490510222_neAHW-XL.jpg

empeg9000
04-07-2009, 10:11 PM
My pillion doesn't. She says it seems worse for her. I am not sure why. She she is bobbles her head around a lot and puts a lot of air on her shoulders. I've thought about trying the Cee Baileys. I am hesitant to keep buying windshields since they are so much money.

bob1100rtc
04-08-2009, 12:50 AM
I have the medium calsci. My wife says its no better than stock. She says the wind protection on my R1100RT was better with the stock shield than the R1200RT with the calsci. I can't say because I have never been on the back of either.

cwsenn
04-08-2009, 03:45 AM
Thanks for all the information. I did call Cal Sci today and asked about the cracked windshield's. They said it was very rare and they wanted to take care of their customers and implied they would refund my money if I was not happy. (I am sure that would depend on if I wrapped it in plastic and could return it in perfect condition) They do not have a written warranty but firmly stated they stand behind their product.
One thing which could make big difference to a passenger is the height of the windshield. From their sizing chart a medium might be best for me but a large might benefit my passenger more and with my living in a cooler climate most of the year it may benefit be more in the long run as well.
I think as soon as I make up my mind between the medium and large I will order one. I also enjoy a nice wind when it's warm out and don't want to loose that effect by having one too tall. I am 5'10" 32" inseam so medium is clearly what their chart recommends.
Any of you have an opinion on pro's and cons of medium versus large? :dunno

kbasa
04-08-2009, 04:29 AM
15K miles on our CalSci. MrsK gets some breeze around her outer arms and I'm inn a fairly still pocket if I put the shield up about 1/3 of the way. With the shield all the way down, I get decent air that's actually not too turbulent.

On cold days, it keeps both of us warm and out of the wind. On hot days, it lets enough air inn to keep us cool.

The noise reduction and lack of turbulence is astounding.

I'd buy another one.

sfarson
04-08-2009, 06:36 AM
I think as soon as I make up my mind between the medium and large I will order one. I also enjoy a nice wind when it's warm out and don't want to loose that effect by having one too tall. I am 5'10" 32" inseam so medium is clearly what their chart recommends.
Any of you have an opinion on pro's and cons of medium versus large? :dunno

6'4" and fine here with the medium CalSci. So's the bride. I think you will be fine with the medium. Plus, vainly, barn door sized windscreens are ghastly to behold :), and sometimes in stiff winds big shields have been known to crack the windshield arms. Have had no issues with the CalSci here. I use it in the winter then switch to the stock screen in summer.

Can see the medium here. Note the slight curvature up also aids with wind abatement...
http://www.farson.com/r1200rt/r1200rtwildbasin.jpg

cwsenn
04-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Okay, one medium windshield on order. Now I am excited for it to get here so I can install it and go for a spin. Thankfully the company is in CA so UPS to Washington is only two or three days away.
Thank you all for your feedback, you helped me to remove any doubts.

Chuck Senn

DXMENON
04-10-2009, 01:04 AM
I had roughly the same post a few days ago. I put in my order for a CalSci and am waiting mine to arrive any day now......

can't wait to go for a spin and see the difference. Unfortunately for me, I am sending my seat to Russel for a new seat on monday so I might have to wait for another three weeks.....

empeg9000
04-10-2009, 10:28 AM
can't wait to go for a spin and see the difference. Unfortunately for me, I am sending my seat to Russel for a new seat on monday so I might have to wait for another three weeks.....
That interesting I am sending my seat out to Russel on Wednesday! Good luck with it.

cwsenn
04-10-2009, 05:22 PM
I had roughly the same post a few days ago. I put in my order for a CalSci and am waiting mine to arrive any day now......

Mine comes in today according to UPS, hopefully yours will come in today and you will have the weekend to try out and ejnoy. I have the Rick Mayer saddle, been riding on it for a few years and it's awesome. I am sure the Russell is a great seat as well and would love to check one out in person some day.

Good luck,

Chuck Senn

professor
04-13-2009, 09:42 AM
I've had a Cal Sci on my 07 R1200RT for about a year and am very pleased with it. No cracks, good wind protection.

racer7
04-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Have had a Cal Sci regular size on my 08RT for about 4K miles. Am 6 ft 0 in tall.

Cal Sci service seems excellent in my experience.

It improves wind protection for the rider around the shoulders and armpits because it allows less turbulent air around the lower edge of the shield. Useful in cold weather. With a Gerbing jacket under a Rev't Scirroco jacket, freezing temp 25 mile commutes at 80 mph are very comfortable even in dress slacks due to the excellent lower body wind protection of the RT. (Your fingertips will freeze in most non-electric glove types even with heated grips long before your legs will get cool.) It's almost fun to watch the sport bike squids freezing and to note that one's RT is frequently the only bike in the parking lot on a cold day (when there are 2 dozen on warm days).

At an equivalent height the Cal Sci reduces helmet noise compared to the stock shield because it has a different top shape and a vent. I use a Scala headset with FM radio and want to hear the news in my helmet (Shoei 1000) on the way to work without putting the shield up so high that I have to look through it- I always want to look over the shield.

The RT becomes far more susceptible to blustery sidewinds and headwind gusts with a Cal Sci mounted compared to stock. This has given me some pause riding in 30+ mph winds near the coast and clearly places a lot of stress on the shield and mounting parts. Gusts that shift randomly and rapidly from left and right at wind velocities of 30 mph can be quite unnerving even if you've ridden long enough to really understand that a bike is basically a gyro and self correcting. The stock shield is far better at not disrupting handling in strong gusts and sidewinds and noticeably better in the wakes of 18 wheelers at highway speeds. So if you plan to ride at speed in big gusts or where there is a lot of high speed truck traffic, take note. The effect can be somewhat mitigated by very careful suspension tuning, always a good idea anyway.

No problems with mounting, breakage, cracking or scratching yet and I have used it for brief excursions to "well into triple digits" also. Can't say I really like acrylic, however. Polycarbonate is a better material is every respect (impact resistance, scratch resistance, optical properties, chemical resistance, lack of temp induced color shift, etc) except cost and ease of fabrication.

Went to put the stock shield on for upcoming summer weather and the increased helmet noise level caused me to put the Cal Sci right back instead. Will see what I think once weather here gets summer humid. I own an RT because radiator heat is the last thing one needs in summer where I live and has always been an annoyance on water-cooled bikes I've owned. The RT barely gets warmth on your feet at stoplights on a hot summer day. One does need "enough air" in humid weather but most of my riding is at 60-80 mph so perhaps the Cal Sci will be OK in summer with a mesh jacket.

An ideal shield would have the Cal Sci's advantages, be made of polycarbonate, and induce fewer "handling in wind" issues. Not sure if it exists or is even possible. The Aeroflow is unreasonably priced and I haven't tried a ZTechnic.

JW2NSC
04-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Have had a CalSci medium shield on my '07 RT for a few weeks now. I'm 5'11" and have noticed reduced helmet noise with both my Schuberth Concept and Arai Tour XD (without the sunvisor) with the shield up only 3/4s of the way. No mounting issues or cracking. On a couple of occasions I have been crossing bridges that were both long and high, with steady 20 knot crosswinds and gusts up to 30 knots. I prudently lower the shield to the lowest position before hitting those kinds of bridges on very windy days, and did not notice any difference in buffeting between the CalSCi and OEM shield.

professor
04-20-2009, 06:41 AM
I have [U]not[U] found any more susceptibility to gusts with the Cal-Sci - in fact I find it to be less effected than it was with the stock. I often ride with a friend who has a Harley Dyna Low-Rider and when he is complaining about being blown all over the place, I barely notice the gusts.

In the Texas summer heat, I just lower the windshield a bit more than usual so I get a little more air movement. I'm very pleased with the Cal-Sci.

cwsenn
04-20-2009, 12:14 PM
I went for a 200 mile ride with my girlfriend up around the front side of Mount Rainer yesterday with the new Calsci windshield. Kim and I both felt the improvement was significant. I still get some air but it seems much smoother than before. We came back home down I-5 doing 80 most of the way and I felt the Calsci was much better at withstanding some turbulance around 18 wheelers and other large moving vehicles. Kim said she could easily tell the difference from when it was fully raised vice lowered but I don't much care for it fully raised as I like to see over the top of the windshield. I listen to music via my Garmin Zumo 550 and with the Calsci I actually turned down the volume and few bars over the stock shield so it is obviously significantly quiter for myself and the passenger. Kim loves the new shield and is very happy I made the purchase. I am very pleased as well, I fell it's much better than the stock shield I had and am looking forward to many more pleasurable miles down the slab...:thumb

Chuck Senn

mosrrt
04-20-2009, 07:26 PM
I just ordered a Med. Calsci windshield. I doing it more for the passenger. I hope it does not effect the looks of the RT. It does not sound like it is that much larger than stock but it is more upright.:dunno
Mike

DXMENON
05-20-2009, 02:46 AM
I just got my Russell seat after being out of commission for over a month. So, i got to use my Calsci windshield that I've been looking at for the last month in my garage. The wind noise was significantly reduced and it's nice to hear the bike's engine at highway speeds. I've been pretty happy so far.

I'll be keeping an eye out for cracks.

LONERANGER
05-20-2009, 11:43 AM
I have had a medium CalSci on my 08 RT for about 500 miles now and it is far superior to the stock windscreen. Wind noise and buffeting are now down to a minimum and I can actually hear my radio at highway speeds now. I have noticed a huge difference when riding in the wind. One of the best farkels that I have bought for my RT.

DXMENON
05-21-2009, 01:32 AM
One of the best farkels that I have bought for my RT.

+1

RTRandy
05-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Below is a photo of my bike ( The silver one) and my friends bike outside our dealer prior to either of us riding the bikes for the very first time. We hadn't even gotten the keys yet.

I ordered the Calsi to be put on my bike during the make ready while my friend left his stock. Since then we've had occasion to switch bikes and the most immediate difference is the airflow. The Calsci is much smoother and even allows me to ride with my visor up at high speeds.

Very pleased with it.

lionheart33
05-22-2009, 04:46 PM
I am primarily interested in noise reduction. I am seriously considering the Cal-Sci or the Ztechnik V-Stream for my RT, has anyone had experience with both on an RT? Has either had a negative impact on gas millage?

Harrington
05-26-2009, 12:48 AM
I am primarily interested in noise reduction. I am seriously considering the Cal-Sci or the Ztechnik V-Stream for my RT, has anyone had experience with both on an RT? Has either had a negative impact on gas millage?

I just recently picked the Cal-Sci but I've had a V-stream for years. The V-stream is a barn door compared to stock and it will effect mileage. I haven't checked mileage with the Cal-Sci yet. The Cal-Sci is definitely quieter when raised. I might be taking it off for the summer because it just doesn't let enough air by when it's hot. I'll use the stock for the above 80 degrees, the stock for 50 to 80 and the V-stream for lower temps.

dlowry
05-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Based on some of the feedback in the thread I decided I'd try the Cal-Sci for my RT. I've been using an Aeroflow since summer of 2005. There were a few things about the Aeroflow that I liked and a few I didn't, but basically it was better than stock in most ways. Being someone who likes to constantly trying to improve my riding experience I decided to give the Cal-Sci a shot.

I purchased the Medium sized unit, I'm 5'11" and ride with the stock seat in the low position, or the low seat with a beadrider in the high position - don't ask... Seeing as I live in Canada I think the delivery time was excellent after a quick double check with the folks at Cal-Sci to make sure they used USPS instead of UPS for cross-border shipments, I had the screen delivered in 8 weekdays.

The packaging was sparse, but the screen arrived in excellent condition. No instructions were included, but they are available online and the only thing you really need to know is to not over-tighten the middle screw. My first ride was to work, 64 km (40mi), mostly on the freeway at speeds around 100-120 km/h (65-75 mph), and the buffeting was noticeably lower, and the biggest improvement for me was less wind hitting my back, which in sub 10C (50F) helps the riding comfort. I ride with the screen about 1/3 raised. I also noticed less bouncing and deflection of the screen at highway speeds. I did ride home without the ear plugs in but I couldn't stand the noise from the truck tires so I've gone back to wearing them even though the noise level is lower without the excessive buffeting.

This past Friday was my first experience with rain and the Cal-Sci. I rode for about 45 minutes in a good downpour and I would have to say that I arrived noticeably dryer than with either the stock or the Aeroflow screen. I used to end up with the back of my neck getting soaked, but was only slightly damp. The sleeves of the my jacket were the only thing heavily dampened. During the rain I did raise the screen a bit more to just below eye level.

My final comment would have to do with the optical quality of the screen, it's excellent. There is no distortion and that's a nice change from the Aeroflow which was heavily distorted.

Thanks to everyone who posted comments about the Cal-Sci screen, it's a purchase I am very happy with!