PDA

View Full Version : Clean GSers

RoscoeRules
04-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Do you think most GS owners use their bikes like many four-wheel drive truck/Jeep owners use their vehicles----never take ÔÇÿem off the hard road? I mean, why would you want a 500 LB trail bike for cruisinÔÇÖ on asphalt? Maybe itÔÇÖs for looks?

alzyck
04-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Do you think most GS owners use their bikes like many four-wheel drive truck/Jeep owners use their vehicles----never take ‘em off the hard road? I mean, why would you want a 500 LB trail bike for cruisin’ on asphalt? Maybe it’s for looks?

I have an RT. Every now and then, I think a GS might be nice, but not for riding it off road. I think a GS would make a nice touring bike.

A GS has more leg room than an RT. I also like the size of the luggage you can get for a GS. You put some Micatech bags on a GS and it's like having an SUV. Almost double the luggage space of an RT.

For long trips, my preference would be a hybrid RT/GS if it existed. The front end of an RT with the faring, electric windshield and cruise control. A little more GS like legroom. The sturdy rear rack of the GS with Micatech saddlebags and top case. All in a 550 pound bike instead of a 900 pound Gold Wing.

RWagnerfoto
04-07-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm 6'7" tall, weigh 225 and have a 38" inseam. The GS12 is my perfect touring bike. Out here in Wyoming the bike just naturally sees it share of dirt and gravel roads, but that's a GS bonus. I bought it and use it for long distance touring and could care less how it looks. At 74 with 60 years of riding experience, there's nothing left to prove to anybody.

dancogan
04-07-2009, 08:20 PM
...At 74 with 60 years of riding experience, there's nothing left to prove to anybody.

:clap :clap :clap

Bud
04-07-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm 6'7" tall, weigh 225 and have a 38" inseam. The GS12 is my perfect touring bike. Out here in Wyoming the bike just naturally sees it share of dirt and gravel roads, but that's a GS bonus. I bought it and use it for long distance touring and could care less how it looks. At 74 with 60 years of riding experience, there's nothing left to prove to anybody.

Wow! I hope to still be able to ride a GS at 74. :clap

To a person, everyone I talked to about the GS comments on how well it handles on the street. And, without having to carry around the weight of the tupperware, it should be quicker as well.

I'm jonesing for one right now............

PGlaves
04-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Here in the Texas Big Bend we see a lot of dual purpose bikes of all sizes. Some folks come down on their little bike to do serious off pavement riding instead of bringing their GS. But have the GS for serious travel. We also have many friends in the long distance endurance riding community and many of them like the GS.

Several reasons:

Good, roomy long haul traveling bike.
Good load carrying capacity.
Lots of excellent luggage options that hold twice what OEM RT bags hold.
Good in mild off pavement riding - gravel roads, graded dirt roads, campgrounds.

And,

If you drop a GS there is usually little to no damage compared to a K1200LT or RxxxxRT.

There is a reason the GS is BMW's best seller in most markets.

coalminer
04-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Eight months ago I sold my Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic and bought an 08 GS Adventure. I had been riding Harleys for the past ten years or so. Although I loved the Harley, especially the electronic cruise control; the Harley was heavy, I hated washing it, and it seemed like I was always buying chrome and t-shirts. The GSA looks just as good dirty as it does clean. It weighs half as much. It's faster. Handles better. Lots of luggage space. More comfortable. The only accessory so far is a Kakao throttle control. It's also tons better on the dirt roads around South Louisiana...although 90% of my riding is on the road. :dance

glenfiddich
04-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Do you think most GS owners use their bikes like many four-wheel drive truck/Jeep owners use their vehicles----never take ÔÇÿem off the hard road? I mean, why would you want a 500 LB trail bike for cruisinÔÇÖ on asphalt? Maybe itÔÇÖs for looks?

I'm pleasantly surprised -- given the judgemental tone of the OP -- that the responses are all so civil and informative. Way to go, GS riders!

I ride a GS for the same reasons as the others. I'd add that it handles our Vermont mud season well enough so I've been riding for a month so far this year...while my neighbors with their street bikes are still waiting for our dirt road to solidify. Also it handles our wicked frost heaves and winter-damaged pavement better than any other bike I've ridden, while hauling around all the creature comforts I like when camping.

And I wouldn't call the GS a 500# trail bike. More like a capable road hauler with limited dirt capabilities. But most of all I love the fact that it looks perfectly fine completely covered in mud. No time wasted polishing chrome! :laugh

PAGoldsby
04-07-2009, 10:01 PM

/thread

PlaneGeek
04-07-2009, 10:33 PM
With my RT I feel kind of the opposite of the OP. My RT has seen it's share of gravel & dirt roads (very mild... I'm not crazy...) along with the occastional snow. I commute daily with the RT, but now I'm dieing to add a GS to the barn for a more robust weekend warrior! I can only strap so much across the backat the hardware store or garden center with it. I totally agree with alzyck about better luggage. Both bikes are great at what they do!

ChopperGuy
04-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I went from an '04 R1200 CLC to an '06 12GS. (Though, I do still own both). I've only had the GS for a few months of riding, but I'm completely sold on it. The CLC does still get ridden, but mostly when I go places with my Blue Knights chapter. (Gotta try and fit in with all the HDs in the group. At least a little!

The 12GS is a great bike on the road and with 1000s of good gravel forest service roads around here, I have no problem taking them off to destinations I'd never ride the CLC to.

What has been said about the hauling capability of he GS is CORRECT. I have the Micatech bags and BMW Vario top case. This combo can easily carry enough for me to travel for many days on the road without resupply.

Another new GS owner and I are planning a trip to Alaska in 2010. It'll be fun to have the capability to take the roads less traveled when the urge may strike us. Especially since we have the GSs to handle them comfortably.

Ride what you want, where you want. It's all personal choice. good thing we can still make those choices.:dance

mtfrench
04-07-2009, 10:59 PM
I used to tour with an RT, but now much prefer the GSA for all of the reasons already stated. One of the key issues for me is having a comfortable bike that is also very capable for riding off road to get to some remote camping options.

Quick Question: I will be riding my GSA from Miami to Vancouver this summer to attend a work-related conference (long story for another thread). Since 99.9% of my riding for this trip will be asphalt, I'm thinking that my standard Tourances are not the best option and I should consider something less aggressive. Do they make Pilot Road II's to fit the GSA? Any other suggestions?:ear

Polarbear
04-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Frequently, I go offroad with the GSA. I just did Big Bend,TX offroading two months ago, as a solo event and found myself nearly stuck in sand a few times...I sweated it out:)...Big Bend State park too. All over that place....I carry feed for my horses on the back from the feed store at 50lbs a bag X 2:). It does nicely:). My horses love seeing the GSA pull up! I have ridden dirt all my life and find the GSA a handful quite often but I love it and manage, even in some tough spots. Falling off is best done very slowly on this thing:)ask me how I know....Randy:usa :dance

henzilla
04-08-2009, 02:58 AM
I have both...and prefer the GS for all around riding...I now feel cramped on the RT. I have dual sport & gravel roads all over my neck of the woods and actually romp my RT down some of them. On my GS I can scare the K GT's in the twisties..right Joe? And splash the K12S's as they slow for the mudpuddles and low water crossings:whistle
I also haul all sorts of oddball things on my two wheeled truck...from feed to bags of cement..to lawnmowers! I think it's been washed twice. I am old enough to know when I shouldn't take the 500 lb beast in certain mudholes, but young enough to still try and usually come out the other side. And even if I never took it off asphalt, it still eats up the pavement as well as anything I have owned...I just smile more riding it.

Newstar
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm assuming you are referring to the "big" GS but i'll throw my comments anyway.

When riding with my hubby and his RT, we will occasionally find ourselves following the GPS and the road will turn to dirt/gravel. He constantly tells me that my GS is made for that type of riding. As I tell him, "the bike may be made for dirt, but the rider isn't."

Polarbear
04-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Come on sweetie, his heart is in it:)...Just be sure he's almost stopped before you fall off, riding dirt. Its much easier that way. Randy

SNOONE
04-08-2009, 01:07 PM
It's the perfect fishin machine.

texanrt
04-08-2009, 01:09 PM
I used to ignore all the dirt and gravel roads riding my HD -- now that I'm riding the RT, I'm more adventurous given its lighter weight and easy handling ways -- but there remain some places I'd like to venture where the GS would be nice to have -- and the GS's truck-like hauling options would be a great thing to have, too. Some day after I finally decide that I'm not riding the HD enough I'll get around to buying one of those GS models I'm constantly staring at when I bring the RT in for service. Now that I've been riding the RT, the taller saddle heights aren't as intimidating.

During our recent trip to Texas Hill Country I saw more GS riders than you ever get to see in Houston -- and their bikes were dirty.:thumb

rebake
04-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I bought mine because it is the bike i want.Paid for it with my money and whether i keep it clean- or not- is not for anyone else to be concerned about.

MrGrocer
04-11-2009, 05:55 AM

Does it matter? Most use their jeeps for carrying their stuff. I use my GS for carrying my stuff. I keep it spotless. I like it clean. I ride wherever I want. Its a 500 pound sport bike, its a 500 pound dual sport, its a 500 pound touring bike. I've got 41Liter bags, stretch out comfort, adjustable suspension, ABS, Tire pressure monitors, autocom, bluetooth GPS. All the best touring gear money can buy. Do I have big honkin PIAA lights on it? Yep, so I can see on deer infested side roads at night, not for riding through Afghanistan...

For looks. Have you looked at a farkled up GS lately. Not gonna win any fashion contests. Guys who ask this question don't have GS's. I was rolling down the slab at 85 the other day and all I could think of was the theme from the Banana Splits... La la la, la lala la.... touring, sport touring, adventure touring... touring.

And why not? So someone can wonder if I've run the Baja 1000? Nope, cause I like it.

The misconception you have is that this is a dirt/trail bike. Its not. Its a bike designed to take a rider anywhere they want to go. Triple digit slab cruising, twisty ripping, fire road travelling, multi-national silliness...

I live in Ohio, I use my Jeep for getting to work in a foot of snow. I use my GS for hammering down mixed tarmac farm roads and pothole filled slabs and nasty mountain roads with bridge grates... winter riding, summer touring, bike night...

so to answer your question, yes, I use my GS just like my jeep. To travel and have fun.

texanrt
04-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Does it matter? Most use their jeeps for carrying their stuff. I use my GS for carrying my stuff. I keep it spotless. I like it clean. I ride wherever I want. Its a 500 pound sport bike, its a 500 pound dual sport, its a 500 pound touring bike. I've got 41Liter bags, stretch out comfort, adjustable suspension, ABS, Tire pressure monitors, autocom, bluetooth GPS. All the best touring gear money can buy. Do I have big honkin PIAA lights on it? Yep, so I can see on deer infested side roads at night, not for riding through Afghanistan...

For looks. Have you looked at a farkled up GS lately. Not gonna win any fashion contests. Guys who ask this question don't have GS's. I was rolling down the slab at 85 the other day and all I could think of was the theme from the Banana Splits... La la la, la lala la.... touring, sport touring, adventure touring... touring.

And why not? So someone can wonder if I've run the Baja 1000? Nope, cause I like it.

The misconception you have is that this is a dirt/trail bike. Its not. Its a bike designed to take a rider anywhere they want to go. Triple digit slab cruising, twisty ripping, fire road travelling, multi-national silliness...

I live in Ohio, I use my Jeep for getting to work in a foot of snow. I use my GS for hammering down mixed tarmac farm roads and pothole filled slabs and nasty mountain roads with bridge grates... winter riding, summer touring, bike night...

so to answer your question, yes, I use my GS just like my jeep. To travel and have fun.

Makes me want one all the more.:thumb

danalbertson
04-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I used to tour with an RT, but now much prefer the GSA for all of the reasons already stated. One of the key issues for me is having a comfortable bike that is also very capable for riding off road to get to some remote camping options.

Quick Question: I will be riding my GSA from Miami to Vancouver this summer to attend a work-related conference (long story for another thread). Since 99.9% of my riding for this trip will be asphalt, I'm thinking that my standard Tourances are not the best option and I should consider something less aggressive. Do they make Pilot Road II's to fit the GSA? Any other suggestions?:ear

Tourances are OK for long rides. IMHO they are not even that good in the dirt. I wouldn't try it on TKC's cause they'd wear out.

As far as riding the GS on dirt, someone said, it's a tool, not a jewel, and that sounds about right to me.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17090&stc=1&d=1239463308

F800GS

daddyal
04-11-2009, 03:25 PM

Yeah, I love the looks. What about it?

swall
04-11-2009, 05:27 PM
One of the posters mentioned the GS suspension as being a bonus when riding on the superslab with frost heaved joints and on pot holed roads. This also holds for riding on country roads that have been given the seal coat treatment to render them "paved" but still have all of the underlying roughness of the original gravel. Describes many of the county roads in my neck of the woods. Given how riders actually use these machines, it seems to me that a GS with a lower seat height would be a winner.

RIDERR1150GSADV
04-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Dirt is irrelevant for a GS.....:laugh I have taken my GS to Pruhoe, rode the TAT partially, the CDT partially, single tracked it in CO and ride it over the levee's here in S FL. Yes it is dirty and I do wash it once in a while. I am anal about maintenance and keep up a rigorous schedule with that. So far so good at 67K miles.

Bullett
04-14-2009, 02:36 AM
This picture was taken on Boulder Mountain in Utah. I (on my little 250 Yamaha dual sport) rode with several GS's (and a KTM) on dirt, gravel, ruts and mud. The GS riders did as well (or better than) as those of us on smaller Yamahas, Suzuki's, Honda's and Kawasaki's.

And, they got dirty, real dirty. I saw it my self. This picture was taken before it rained and hailed on us.

http://twisties.smugmug.com/photos/383829119_jrpam-M.jpg

Bud
04-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Here is a pic of my clean GS

http://data.sailboatowners.com/photos/1239574517.jpg