PDA

View Full Version : 2007 R 1200 RT rear brake pads

CliffWL
04-07-2009, 02:20 AM
I just had my RT in the shop to replace the film strip in the gas gauge. I found out once that goes all low fuel warning and distance to empty disappears and you run out of gas. The shop told me I only have 20% left on my rear brake pads. I am surprised since it just turned 7000 miles. I am wondering that since the front and rear brakes are linked is there an adjustment that determines how hard the back brakes go on when you hit the front brake only. After having many bikes, the 4 last ones being BMW's, I have not seen that kind of brake pad wear before. Anyone got any insight?

BMWRich58
04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
I personally would compare the pads with new one's before any decisions.
And if prematurely worn,I'd check several other factors before worrying about whether or not braking pressures/equipment is at fault.

kthutchinson
04-07-2009, 04:50 PM
There is no way to adjust the how much rear brake is applied when the front brake lever is pulled.

marchyman
04-07-2009, 08:02 PM
There is no way to adjust the how much rear brake is applied when the front brake lever is pulled.

Yes, but cleaning and lubricating the rear caliper may eliminate excess rear brake drag which can eat rear pads. On my GS the first set of rear pads lasted just under 18K. I noticed the pins were pretty dry when I cleaned the caliper. Cleaning/lubricating the caliper seems to have made a difference. The OEM replacement pads were maybe 1/4 used 18K later, the same distance that killed the original pads.

// marc

mogu83
04-12-2009, 06:49 PM
On a R1200R list there have been some questions about premature brake pad wear on the rear wheel, but no definitive answers. Looks like the RTs may have the same issue.

CliffWL
04-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Thanks, I will try the clean and lub method when I change them

rglassma
04-18-2009, 08:05 AM
I just had my RT in the shop to replace the film strip in the gas gauge. I found out once that goes all low fuel warning and distance to empty disappears and you run out of gas. The shop told me I only have 20% left on my rear brake pads. I am surprised since it just turned 7000 miles. I am wondering that since the front and rear brakes are linked is there an adjustment that determines how hard the back brakes go on when you hit the front brake only. After having many bikes, the 4 last ones being BMW's, I have not seen that kind of brake pad wear before. Anyone got any insight?

20%??? Hmmm... I am not sure I believe that one... Especially since it has 7000 miles on it. I just checked my rear brake pads after 27K and I have 50% left. If the calipers are sticking, I would think they should be covered under warranty. Yes, I know the pads are a wear item, but this isn't under normal circumstances..

deilenberger
04-19-2009, 04:23 AM
I suspect this is heavily dependent on your braking habits. My R1200R rear pads needed replacement at about 18,000 miles. The fronts still looked almost new. I think with the linked pads - if you use ANY rear brake for normal braking, you will wear out the rear pads fast, and I suspect if you are a conservative braker who primarily only uses the front lever - the linked braking may put more force on the rear brake than you'd expect. And I checked my caliper for binding - no binding, works just fine and releases just fine. Lots of other R1200R owners have reported 12-18,000 mile rear pad life.