PDA

View Full Version : Paint held !

mosrrt
04-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Had a little damage to my side box on the 05 R1200RT . Took it to a body shop for repainting. Paint is dark gray BMW # 946. They claim they can not get the paint . They checked with BMW and major paint suppliers . So is this a problem ? Where can the paint be purchased ? Or am I SOL?:dunno
Thanks , Mike

wezul
04-06-2009, 02:37 PM
That doesn't sound right to me. These colors are often common across the BMW 2 wheel and four wheel products and that's a relatively recent model.

Off topic you might want to fill out your profile, a location might help other viewers direct you to a solution.

Here's a start:
http://www.colorrite.com/product/bmw-dark-graphite-2110.cfm

RTST
04-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Had the same problem when my wife scratched her Piedmont red side case. Luckily our neighbor has a body shop and uses computer matching to match colors, he was able to match it perfectly using this method. Look for a body shop that uses this method and you should be good to go!
Larry

deilenberger
04-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Indeed.. I'm surprised they even looked for the factory paint. Almost every body shop I know uses the computer matched colors, with much better matching results than simply buying factory paint and hoping it's from the same batch (and the paint on the rest of the car/bike hasn't faded..)

osbornk
04-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Had a little damage to my side box on the 05 R1200RT . Took it to a body shop for repainting. Paint is dark gray BMW # 946. They claim they can not get the paint . They checked with BMW and major paint suppliers . So is this a problem ? Where can the paint be purchased ? Or am I SOL?:dunno
Thanks , Mike

Go to a body shop with a paint mixing system. Their computer has the paint listed as BMW motorcycles by the paint number. However, some of the colors are the same as BMW cars but still use the same paint numbers. My 2003 Mojave Brown CLC is the same color as a 93-97 BMW Car. My friend's 07 blue R1200RT is also a car color. The paint code doesn't show up under the motorcycle listing but does under the car listing. Both of the colors were a dead on match. They can make any amount of paint you need. My brother has a body shop and he painted both of the lids for my bags and my fairing with .2 of a pint of paint. It is a basecoat-clearcoat system and you only need enough paint to color the damaged area. He can mix smaller amounts but doesn't trust himself that he can measure the little bit of colors.

mosrrt
04-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Got it color matched. Now we will see how it comes out !
Thanks all, Mike

leadfoot
04-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Most shops that have a color matching system will use a camera that will take a shot of the color and offer a "blendable" match. The painter using this system needs to be skilled at altering the air pressure and his painting style in order to acheive a match. It is usually not an exact match right out of the can. If you get lucky...GREAT. If you are unhappy with the match, find someone who has access to Glasurit paint, and you will likely find that your paint code can be mixed, and will match very well when shot on the part.

stkmkt1
04-07-2009, 03:15 AM
When I repainted the Vetter fairing and bags for my '77 CB750A the paint shop used a portable gun and aimed it at my gas tank (original paint). They color-matched the paint and I must say it was dead on. Sure makes it much easier to match paint.

sit
04-07-2009, 03:43 AM
When I wanted some touch up paint for my silver R, I tried a body shop, but they could not help me. Suggested I go to a local auto parts store that mixed paint. Took the proper paint code to them, they looked it up and several hours later I had a quart of perfect paint mixed to the BMW formula. Just another option for some maybe.

flars
04-07-2009, 12:05 PM
"They claim they can not get the paint . They checked with BMW and major paint suppliers "
True dat. Or at least it used to be. BMW uses a paint that cannot be imported into the US.
Color matching, as you have discovered, is the only way to repaint these bikes.

osbornk
04-07-2009, 12:46 PM
"They claim they can not get the paint . They checked with BMW and major paint suppliers "
True dat. Or at least it used to be. BMW uses a paint that cannot be imported into the US.
Color matching, as you have discovered, is the only way to repaint these bikes.

They don't know what they are talking about. The formulas are in the paint mixing computers and they match. I went to my brother's body shop and played with his paint mixing computer. Some of the paint codes on BMW motorcycles are listed under motorcycles and some are listed under BMW cars. The year of the matching car color has no relation to the year of the motorcycle. Some of the motorcycle colors were from BMW cars that had been discontinued several years ago. You might see an older BMW car that is the exact same color as your new bike.

Another thing I found interesting as I played with the paint mixing computer is how many different makes of cars use the exact same colors. The same color might be used on 4 or 5 different makes that have no connection (other than the same paint supplier I suspect). Also, most colors have a standard color and from 3 to 12 variables that are slightly different. The quality control is not as good as one would hope and different batches of paint are slightly different. It is a real challenge to pick which variable you need when you have 5 or 6 color chips that are almost the same. My brother calls me sometimes to help him decide on the chip when he has missed it a time or two.

Even if you don't have a perfect match, a good painter can make it look like you do with a basecoat/clearcoat system. If the paint is needed in the center of a panel, you paint the area that needs it and scuff the rest of the panel. You then clearcoat the entire panel.
The slight mismatch is in the middle of the panel. The gradual change in color is not noticed. If the panel is replaced or the damage is at the edge of the panel, you paint the entire panel and a little of the adjoining panel. You then clearcoat both panels. That way, there is a perfect match between the panels and the gradual change in color on the adjoining is not noticed.

mosrrt
04-07-2009, 06:09 PM
The paint turned out to be a VW color. That is what they are telling me. I am having the hole side bag cover painted. The inner half is black so I am thinking if it is close it will look good. I will get it back tomorrow.
Mike

marchyman
04-07-2009, 07:55 PM
They don't know what they are talking about. The formulas are in the paint mixing computers and they match.

Not the formula, but a formula that should match the color are in paint mixing comuters. What you are getting may look the same (which is likely all you care about) but may be made from different components.

In California, for example, you can not purchase BMW branded touch-up paint. A friend reports the same was true for his Gold Wing, a bike made in the US. He had no problem purchasing Honda paint in Nevada, though. I wound up with some Triumph touch-up that was a pretty close match to the silver on my GS. I didn't care about an exact match (hey, its a gs :laugh) just wanted to keep rust away from bare metal.

// marc

osbornk
04-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Not the formula, but a formula that should match the color are in paint mixing comuters. What you are getting may look the same (which is likely all you care about) but may be made from different components.// marc

The formula may or may not be the same but as long as it is a color match, it doesn't matter. Durability is not an issue with a basecoat/clearcoat system because the basecoat is protected by the clearcoat. I don't know if BMW changes paint suppliers but most manufacturers make decisions based on bids and specifications. With auto manufacturers, paint suppliers may be different in different years and even at different plants in the same year.