PDA

View Full Version : R1200RT Ergonomics

gwood
04-05-2009, 02:02 PM
The bolt upright riding position of my RT is killing me. Every street bike I've ever owned has had, or I changed to, low bars. I'm 6'3, and have what my wife describes as "Monkey arms". I know most people have the opposite problems with RT's, and install lbarbacks, risers, etc. I haven't been able to find any solution to lower or move the bars forward. After a couple hours in the saddle I find myself scooting back onto the hump of the rear seat to get releif. Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you solve it?

I've heard that Sargent Seats give the pilot a little more room at the expense of the passenger, but I haven't been able to sit on one.

darrylri
04-05-2009, 02:09 PM
I haven't seen any kits for the R12RT, but there was an adapter available for the R11RT that replaced the tiller-like bars with a set of clamps, and then you could mount whatever kind of tubular bars you liked. I think there was a similar kit for the R11R roadster model. Maybe you could make, have made, or adapt one of these kits to your needs.

sfarson
04-06-2009, 06:28 AM
The bolt upright riding position of my RT is killing me. Every street bike I've ever owned has had, or I changed to, low bars. I'm 6'3, and have what my wife describes as "Monkey arms". I know most people have the opposite problems with RT's, and install lbarbacks, risers, etc. I haven't been able to find any solution to lower or move the bars forward. After a couple hours in the saddle I find myself scooting back onto the hump of the rear seat to get releif. Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you solve it?

I've heard that Sargent Seats give the pilot a little more room at the expense of the passenger, but I haven't been able to sit on one.

I'm 6'4" and like you must lean forward for better comfort. So I just do this on the RT when I need to stretch the back. But not the best alternative as you note. Want to mention Sargent Seats are actually opposite what you want... they tend to give the pilot less room (versus stock) and the passenger more room. This has been the case on every Sargent Seat I've owned for BMW's, Ducati's and Honda's. The seat routinely giving the pilot more room is the Corbin, but I'm not sure how well it would compare to what the stock seat provides.

kdoddrell
04-06-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm 6'3" and run an RT with a Sargent saddle. The Sargent saddle is a lot better for me than standard although can tend to feel a little "wide" after a long days riding.

One thing you might like to consider (and I'm not sure if it is your butt, back or arms that are getting tired) is that I also changed the windscreen to Ztechnik, which has made things more comfortable for me as the wind pocket is larger.

I must confess, I still end up shifting around towards the end of the day, like you, sitting on passengers seat, legs on back rests etc etc.

Good luck!
Kevin

TCATE
04-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Rick Mayer saddle, bar risers and highway pegs were my ergonomic solution. These provide all-day comfort and plenty of room for varying positions.

Good luck...

TC

gwood
04-11-2009, 12:53 PM
The seat routinely giving the pilot more room is the Corbin, but I'm not sure how well it would compare to what the stock seat provides.

I had high hopes for the Sargent. I've had some really bad experiences with Corbin:banghead

I'd like to see a Sargent installed on an RT. Anyone with a Sargent going to the Branson Blitz this year?