PDA

View Full Version : Need headlight help

Turfman
04-05-2009, 01:56 PM
08' R1200RT one low beam dead at 23,500 km. I bought all new PIAA replacement bulbs. I need some feed back here, will they last longer? Are there other options? And the last question, can someone give me a verbal hand at installing these lights? :scratch My ST1100 Honda use to be a pain in the butt for bulb changes. This is the first try for me changing bulbs on the RT.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks from Nova Scotia

lensuz
04-05-2009, 03:16 PM
I've played with different (expensive) H-7 bulbs and decided to save my money and buy standard, non-brilliant, bulbs. I could not get any life out of the brighter bulbs.

It takes a little patience to get the bulbs out, but the link below will give you an idea of what you are looking for. Some will tell you to remove the right side mirror to get easier access to that bub, but I have never had to do that. Look at the orientation of the "key" on the bulb and that will help seat the bulb properly. Also, be careful when removing the bakelite connector from the bulb; it is fragile and some have broken this part although I have not. I have changed bulbs at least 4 times and have not yet broken this part. Good luck!

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ub...1871#Post381871

Turfman
04-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the link Lensuz,

Have you tried the PIAA and how long did you get out of them? I have read here most people are getting around 25,000 miles, I was disappointed with 23,500 km. Have you had any experience with a headlight monitor?

lensuz
04-06-2009, 02:53 AM
I have not tried the PIAA bulbs. There is speculation regarding the cause of low life duration of the bulbs in general. Some consider the cause to be frequent power cycling, hence short trips where frequent on/off may reduce the life of the bulb in terms of miles/bulb. If you ride long uninterrupted periods, your likely to get more miles/bulb. Heck, I just keep replacing them regardless of the cause. Good luck!

marcopolo
04-06-2009, 07:28 PM
I tried fancy OSRAM Silverstar bulbs from the UK, but both low beams blew on start-up a month after I installed them. I switched back to standard H7 bulbs available at Canadian Tire. They work just fine, and in fact turned out to be exactly the same bulbs the bike had when delivered from the factory.

As for installation, the bulbs get progressively more difficult as you move from left to right (seated on the bike). Small hands help. Take your time.

henzilla
04-06-2009, 11:09 PM
I have not tried the PIAA bulbs. There is speculation regarding the cause of low life duration of the bulbs in general. Some consider the cause to be frequent power cycling, hence short trips where frequent on/off may reduce the life of the bulb in terms of miles/bulb. If you ride long uninterrupted periods, your likely to get more miles/bulb. Heck, I just keep replacing them regardless of the cause. Good luck!

My 05 RT averages 9K for bulbs, regardless of brand or promise of long life at a higher cost , add rough roads as maybe a factor as I lost the low beam on my 09 GS at 7K...at least the GS was a little easier to get to.