PDA

View Full Version : RT Hand Protection Options?

leadfoot
04-05-2009, 02:01 AM
I bought a set of Hippo Hands for my RT, and they work great for the cold, but have a few drawbacks IMO. They are a bit bulky to store for a ride, and when installed, they completely block my mirrors, which I definitely do not like. I know I could get another set of mirrors, but would rather not at this time. I have noticed the hand protection on the GS bikes, and recently noticed the guards on Don's bike. I was wondering if any of you have adapted the GS type guards, and if you are happy with the setup. I think if I could install a setup like that, I could leave them on year round, and they would double for rain as well as cold wind protection. Thoughts......opinions?

henzilla
04-07-2009, 01:41 PM
the GS handguards would be a challenge to adapt to an RT with its gull wing flat bars. I got a set of these wings from Wunderlich I believe,though I couldn't find them in the BMW Santa Cruz online page.
They do a great job of wind and debris deflection and rain to some extent( until I added the K1200S mirrors that water drips down from)
You have to replace the three mirror ball mounting studs with longer ones supplied with the wings and the mirror sits out from the fairing about 1/4"...they give you some rubber strips to cover gap, which you can see right below the wing.

alzyck
04-07-2009, 02:19 PM
I used a set of winglets from SA Engineering. Instead of mounting them on the windshield, I mounted them on the tupperware by the mirrors.

They don't look as nice as the Wunderlich model (I knew that when I bought them), but I picked them over the Wunderlich for one reason. When it's cold, I can turn them to block the wind from my hands and when it's hot I can turn them to get some air back behind the windshield to help cool me down.

I would prefer it if they looked better, but I'm more than satisfied with how they function in the hot and cold. Obviously they aren't as good as a set of Hippo Hands, but you don't have the bulkiness problem either. I ride into the high 20's with just heated grips, some thermolite liners in my gloves and the winglets.

Here's a pic in cold mode...

http://alzyck.smugmug.com/photos/354317227_y8WnG-XL.jpg

and here's what it looks like when it hot and turned to get some air flowing behind the windshield.

http://alzyck.smugmug.com/photos/354317421_DHCQt-XL.jpg

hlothery
04-07-2009, 02:33 PM
alzyck, I have the CalSci windshield, like you. I was wondering how I would fare this summer, but need to keep the windshield on to prevent the buffeting for my wife, who rides with me. Those winglets may be just the answer. thanks.

alzyck
04-07-2009, 03:01 PM
alzyck, I have the CalSci windshield, like you. I was wondering how I would fare this summer, but need to keep the windshield on to prevent the buffeting for my wife, who rides with me. Those winglets may be just the answer. thanks.

I took those photos last year. I ended up going from a CalSci to a CeeBailey's windshield. I went through three CalSci's. I think CalSci has the best windshield design, but all of mine cracked badly at the mounting holes (not related to the wings).

The CB has similar coverage, so I still use the winglets for extra air. So far no cracking on the CB windshield.

hlothery
04-07-2009, 03:16 PM
thanks for the heads-up.....I'll keep an eye out for cracks.

akbeemer
04-07-2009, 06:32 PM
I have the Wunderlich wind deflectors as shown by Steve above. They work well.

I believe you now have to go to the Wunderlich America site to buy them. Appears BMW of Santa Cruz is no longer their distributor.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/

OfficerImpersonator
04-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I bought a set of Hippo Hands for my RT, and they work great for the cold, but have a few drawbacks IMO. They are a bit bulky to store for a ride, and when installed, they completely block my mirrors, which I definitely do not like. I know I could get another set of mirrors, but would rather not at this time. I have noticed the hand protection on the GS bikes, and recently noticed the guards on Don's bike. I was wondering if any of you have adapted the GS type guards, and if you are happy with the setup. I think if I could install a setup like that, I could leave them on year round, and they would double for rain as well as cold wind protection. Thoughts......opinions?

I use Hippo-Hands-like handlebar covers, and I think you'd rather use handlebar covers than deflecting mechanisms bolted to your bike simply to protect your hands from rain. Once your hands get wet, you're done riding until you get dry gloves. Mini windscreens won't keep your hands dry, except perhaps when the bike is moving forward at speed. My fairing alone keeps me dry when moving, but invariably traffic and stop lights conspire to slow me down and allow the water to drop directly from above rather than hit me from the front.

I've practically given up wearing my winter gloves - even in temperatures below freezing, as my heated grips combined with the handlebar covers creates a pocket of warm air around the bars which keeps my hands toasty with my summer Aerostich roper gloves even in cold temperatures.

My RT-P has stalk handlebar mirrors, and even when I have my handlebar covers off, I find the position of the stalk mirrors far superior to the low position of the mirrors integrated into the fairing. The line of sight for the higher mirrors is much closer to the line of sight looking down the road, so you don't have to divert your eyes as much from the path ahead to check your mirrors.