PDA

View Full Version : Removing Tarnish From Exhaust Pipes

JIMK23
04-03-2009, 08:58 PM
What is the stuff to remove the tarnish from the exhaust pipes? I think it is a paste of sorts. And how long does it keep the pipe chrome nice and shiney?
Thanks.

darrylri
04-03-2009, 09:19 PM
[mod hat=on]

Hi! Based on your user name, I've moved this post to the Hexheads group, where I think you'll get more discussion about this.

[mod hat=off]

If you have chrome pipes, they will turn blue or even a deep purple after just a few miles. It's not a bug, it's a feature, and BMWs have done it since 1923. The header pipes are single walled, which is lighter and helps dissipate heat, but the pipes turn blue.

You can use any chrome polish, and there is a product called Blue Away that is specifically for this. But as I said, when you fire it up again, it will begin to blue again right away.

If you have the stainless headers, they turn a dark brown instead, and my experience is that it's more difficult to clean them up.

JIMK23
04-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks, Darryl. I think I'll just let it slide.

Jim

extwacap
04-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Got any ideas for cleaning the pipes after the oil from my steering damper seeped out and landed on the hot exhaust pipes of my R1100R.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

TourNut
04-04-2009, 03:16 PM
This Exhaust pipe discoloration issue that some don't mind but others really do not like it, looks like an opportunity for a Chrome Accessory Manufacturer to make Chrome half-shields or perforated shields for the discoloring pipes ! Hint-Hint to somebody in that business !

bikerfish1100
04-04-2009, 03:55 PM
what is this "blue-pipe" thing of which you speak?:dunno
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q13/bikerfish1100/just%20bikes/IMG_0898-1.jpg

http://www.hpcoatings.com/am/industries/industries_served_motorcycle.aspx

Tom K.
04-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks, Darryl. I think I'll just let it slide.
Jim

Good idea. I used Simichrome years ago on my airhead, but since anything that cleans up the pipes is also going to be pretty abrasive, I simply regard my 1200RT's discoloration as a side effect of enjoyable riding.
Tom

RSPENNACHIO
04-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I am a member of a very, very small club who prefers shiney pipes. I have polished the discoloration off of my headers a few times and won the battle but I'll now accept that I'll never win the war:( .

Although "High Performance Coatings" does look interesting.

BeemerPrincess
04-11-2009, 02:09 AM
Easy Off oven cleaner works!