PDA

View Full Version : sticky throttle on R1200R

MaynardLassonde
04-03-2009, 07:27 PM
I have a 2007 R1200R with about 5300 miles. I've noticed that the throttle no longer snaps back to the idle position when I release it. The dealer said to remove the end cap and spray WD40 under the throttle grips. Does anyone have any experience with this, and if so, what is your advice? Thanks

deilenberger
04-03-2009, 11:54 PM
My advice would be to take it in under warranty and get it fixed. Spraying WD40 under the grip is really a pretty poor suggestion. I hope that wasn't a mechanic who suggested that.

Has the bike ever been dropped or rested on the throttle grip? I've heard of instances where the grip gets displaced and starts to drag. I'd also check the cable routing, make sure there are no kinks or funny bends in it, and nothing tie-wrapped to it that might make it bind.

cuervo2274
04-10-2009, 02:40 AM
does this happen when your heated grips are ON?
Mine does that same thing but only when the heated grips are ON. It doesn't bother me.
Cuervo2274

deilenberger
04-10-2009, 03:35 PM
does this happen when your heated grips are ON?
Mine does that same thing but only when the heated grips are ON. It doesn't bother me.
Cuervo2274Do you have a ThrottleMeister or some other sort of throttle control? Common with them because the rotating sleeve grows in length a bit as it warms up. If not - you may want to check the fit of your bar-end-weight. It might be too close to the rotating sleeve.

On a related note - I purposely have "drag" on my throttle since I don't like having to hold the throttle "on".. I'd rather it be neutral. On old K bikes this was easy - the BMW throttle screw ($7) worked great. On the hexhead - I went the low-tech way - I added an O ring between the bar-end-weight and the grip, so it rubs between them. Lubricated with silicone grease, it appears to be good for about 24,000 miles (just replaced my first one..) It allows me to take my hand off the right grip to shake it out when it starts going numb (carpal tunnel..) and for me makes accurate throttle control easier.

So one man's problem is another's solution.

AZ-J
04-11-2009, 03:15 AM
I had a similar issue with my R12S, and the dealer service replaced the throttle cables on mine under warranty.

jhgilbert
04-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't spray any oil in the grip, since oil attracts dirt. When I re-greased the throttle mechanism on my K75, the grip was very sticky. So I removed it and broke the two little wires to the heated grip in the process:doh . But underneath I found that the paint on the handle bars was flaking off and causing the grip to stick. I cleaned it all and lubed it with dry graphite. Now it's very easy to twist. I also couldn't believe how much nicer the K75 shifts now.

Be aware though, that graphite will carry an electrical current, so keep it away from the warmer.

And if anyone can tell me how to repair the heated grip wires before next winter, I'd appreciate it.:ear

PeterV
04-11-2009, 02:06 PM
It appears that the adjustment for the clamp is slightly set too close to the right.

You can remove the three screws and remove the switch assy and loosen the clamp (hex head) and move it slightly to the left. re assemble the switch assy and all should be well.

I just installed the Throttle Meister yesterday. I did ahve to adj the clamp but all is well now.

MaynardLassonde
04-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I'll answer some questions.

No, the bike hasn't been dropped.

Yes, I do have heated grips, but heat does not seem to be the reason. The throttle sticks even when the bike isn't running (or hasn't been used for months and is ice cold). It sticks the same when it is running - with or without the heat on.

It seems I need to set aside time for a visit to the dealer.

As always, you guys are great. Thanks for the input.