PDA

View Full Version : 12GS funnel for brake bleed

sit
03-28-2009, 03:45 AM
So I am gathering the parts I will need to do my own brake line flush on my 07 GS. From reading how to do it and watching some video of it, it appears to be easiest if one has a long stemmed funnel with one of the cover plugs attached to it that screws into the wheel side circuit of the ABS pump. These little covers
( #34517674836) must have a very small BMW roundel embossed on them because they are $45 for two of them from Max BMW. Is anyone interested in going in half for one of these. I need to order some other items from Max BMW and can include these with my order, so shipping is covered. If someone is interested, as soon as I get the caps, I can repackage one up for you for $22 and send it. Again, free shipping to your house. Anyone??

marchyman
03-28-2009, 05:36 AM
So I am gathering the parts I will need to do my own brake line flush on my 07 GS.

I thought the 07 had iABS II? I believe the non-servo iABS II are bled like regular brakes. No fancy funnel for an intermediate reservoir under the tank needed.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. ;)

// marc

henzilla
03-28-2009, 02:08 PM
I thought the 07 had iABS II? I believe the non-servo iABS II are bled like regular brakes. No fancy funnel for an intermediate reservoir under the tank needed.

// marc

You are correct on the '07...had an '05 RT & GS that needed the mini-stan funnel...the '07 does not...took my Bro-in-laws tank off for nothing other than practice one afternoon:doh

FYI, google Mini-Stan and find the funnel for a lot less$$$$ even though you do not need it

PlaneGeek
03-28-2009, 02:19 PM
If you know some one who needs a mini-stan here is Jim Von Baden's (http://www.jimvonbaden.com/service1.aspx) Solution: :type

"Here is some information on how to build your own brake bleed Mini-Stan:

No need for the BMW cap.

Order the following from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com)

4005T5 1 Each Quick-drain Clear Polymethylpentene Funnel, 8 Oz Capacity, 4-7/16"top Od, 7-3/4"oÔÇÖall Height
9545K27 1 Pack Tapered Push-in Round Rubbber Plug, Through Hole, Size 2, 13/64" Hole Size

$12.11 before shipping."

I just did the brake bleed on my '08 RT this past monday. Heck, it was easier to bleed then my old 81 CJ-7. Have fun!:bikes

PlaneGeek
03-28-2009, 02:24 PM

// marc

I might add here is a great thread over on bmwsporttouring.com on bleeding the second generation brakes. (http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=452858&page=1):bolt

sit
03-28-2009, 05:56 PM
PERFECT!!

I just had the 18K service done yesterday and it has motivated me to do more of the easy stuff, like fluid changes. I do my own oil, but if I had done the other fluids too, would have cut my bill in half. And half is a very good price!! Of course not as good as free, but I will take what I can get. I have DVD that shows some stuff, but as you can tell from my above oopsy:blush , the bike in the video is an 05 servo model. At least I didnt get the tank off and go what the !!!!

Thanks again all!!!!

And while I have you here, Any difference in changing the gear box oil from an 05 to an 07 GS? Is my DVD going to help here or not? Yes, I have done the search function on three forums and nothing found other than arguing over what fluid to use.

SteveTech
03-28-2009, 06:28 PM
I made a tool with a small funnel and a wine makers bung from the local supermarket.
The bung is already drilled to take the air lock for the wine making.
Put a nut and bolt through the hole and put the end of the bolt in a drill.
Then turn on the drill while turning the bung down to the correct size on a bench grinder.
Easy and cheap!!

henzilla
03-28-2009, 08:58 PM
PERFECT!!

And while I have you here, Any difference in changing the gear box oil from an 05 to an 07 GS? Is my DVD going to help here or not? Yes, I have done the search function on three forums and nothing found other than arguing over what fluid to use.

No difference in gearbox lube change ... a difference from video is the newer bottom FD location of drainplug allows it to be changed without dropping housing down. however...some folks still use this opportunity to check/lube the driveshaft splines and drop the new location ones as well. Pay attention to the O- ring on speed sensor to make sure it gets back on the sensor and not in the housing...no O-ring...nice leak!