PDA

View Full Version : Performance improvements as bike wears in

RSPENNACHIO
03-27-2009, 04:56 PM
I bought my RT brand new (about 21 miles on it). After the 600 mile break-in inspection I was surprised at how the bike improved, better acceleration, smoother Recently it had the 6000 mile service/inspection done. Once again, performance improved, faster acceleration, more torque I was told that this will happen until about 40,000 miles when the bike will finally be worn in. I believe this is typical of BMWs.

But what about other brands? I know that most of us here favor our Beemer(s) but do owners of other brands experience this and to what extent?

akbeemer
03-27-2009, 05:22 PM
I understand that some riders who have over 300K miles on their Beemers can actually achieve hyperspace velocity.:thumb

bigskyrider
03-27-2009, 05:43 PM
I sure hope that's the case, I have a 2000 1150 GS with 98K on the clock that runs like a top....great torque and smooth. I also have a 1200 GS and I'm about to take it in for it's 6K service, it really seems weak next to my older bike.

leadfoot
03-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Mine seems more responsive and powerful at 10K than it did new. I do notice a buzz around 4k RPM, but not sure if the bike always had it or if I am at that point where I am starting to notice little things. Might just need a TB sync, don't know. I have heard it will be noticeable if they are out of sync. Other than that, once I broke it in, and was daring enough to hammer it hard, I was very very surprised by how it pulled, torque wise and on the top end.

It's got plenty of go-fast for me!:dance

BMWRich58
03-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Mine seems more responsive and powerful at 10K than it did new. I do notice a buzz around 4k RPM, but not sure if the bike always had it or if I am at that point where I am starting to notice little things. Might just need a TB sync, don't know. I have heard it will be noticeable if they are out of sync. Other than that, once I broke it in, and was daring enough to hammer it hard, I was very very surprised by how it pulled, torque wise and on the top end.

It's got plenty of go-fast for me!:dance

I've over 24K miles now. Basically the same motor...a R1200GSA just different gearing and no body panels per say to remove. In the past,they're was definately a "BUZZZ" in the 'bars @4000 rpm's. And this is/was widely discussed on many web sites. And I personally had experienced the "numb finger/s and hand".
Last year,when I had the antenna ring replaced under warranty around 18K miles,I was made aware of a "computer update/upgrade". So,I asked the Tech to do what ever is necessary for this "update/upgrade".
After everything was said n done...this "BUZZZ" has smoothed out considerably,and I attribute this to the upgrade. I'm sure the mileage on the motor has all things wearing in good too, but it was after the computer thing that I felt made the biggest difference,and why the bike felt so much smoother.
Now,some people at the UKGSER.com web site claim this update has effected their bike and now their bike runs worse than ever. Who knows,I can only report what I read,what I have had done and how my bike feels.
Currently,my situation is this,I do all my own work other than any issue recalled by the Dealer for any warranty work. I'll take my time and make sure all is done right. I did switch over to synthetic oil at 18K miles. At the 4500 rpm range (500 rpm's higher than before),the buzz returns in the bars but no where as bad as before the upgrade.
I'm sure the wearing in of the motor has some effect.....
I can say "fuel consumption" has leveled out to the mid 40's,the "BUZZZ" is almost 75% eliminated,oil consumption has lessened to about a ?? of a quart in 5000 miles,valves virtually stay set when checked every 6K miles,and I still get a smile when I twist my right wrist!!
Possibly the best BMW I've own yet!! :dance

Polarbear
03-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Mine is approaching 30000 miles and it runs sweeter with the more miles it gets. I do my own work to, outside of warranty work and its been very good so far. 20/50 Valvoline m/c specific, no syns. in my motor, but synthetics do go in tranny and FD. NO oil consumtion since new:). I get 37-40 mpg's, so maybe I ride a little too fast...It will do 40's mpg's at slower speeds:). My 340 thousand mile(all mine) Airhead is still so very fine a runner to this day, after 32 years in my garage:). I've been everywhere on that thing:). I'm not sure I have it in me to keep another bike this many years, but I do have one to brag about in my(R100/7)...Hopefully the newer GSA will have some longevity built in, because I "do not have" another 20000$+ m/c in me either! Its just tooooooo much $$$. Randy:usa :thumb