PDA

View Full Version : Tech Sub-Forum Expansion

akbeemer
03-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey Don, might it not be worthwhile to post a thread in the tech sub-forum that consolidates some or all of the threads on oil for the beloved Hexhead? Will save people a bunch of time, but will of course demand much of yours. Tire threads seem like another topic that would be suitable for a consolidated thread in the tech area. There may be other topics as well. Oh, and thank you Don for your efforts as "keeper of the flame", so to speak, for the Hexhead.

deilenberger
03-25-2009, 03:59 AM
Kevin,

Will have to think about it. Haven't done a consolidated thread. I could see it being made up of significant postings drawn from multiple threads - but I can also unfortunately see some people feeling slighted if their posting wasn't selected.

Will give it some thought..

Thanks much for the suggestion!

kbasa
03-25-2009, 12:53 PM
I've seen threads where someone has maintained an index that links to specific posts in other threads. It's a chore to maintain them, particularly if posts are still being made, but they're very useful.

akbeemer
03-25-2009, 04:15 PM
The thought is that it would be helpful to have something akin to what the Chain Gang has for the Thumper, only for Hexheads. A single source tech page and farkle info site. I know I don't know the amount of effort it will take, but I'm sure it is significant. Since I'm not in the position to shoulder any of the load, I'll not criticize if you decide it is a step too far.

deilenberger
03-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Kevin,

If anyone wants to step foward and offer to put together such a page - they can let me know.

The way pages are made for the tech subforums is - they are first created in a development forum that's invisible to the general membership - used only for this purpose (and permission to see/work in the development forum is given on a member by member basis - and only for this use..) Once the posting is done, I look it over, add/edit as needed (perhaps adding some warning language/disclaimers) - then it gets moved whole to the Tech forum.

We didn't want the tech forums to be a "general" conversation forum, so the only way to do this, and still allow everyone to read what's in them is to totally restrict write/edit access to them. I can't edit something in the tech forum - I have to move it to the development forum, edit it, then move it back.

I'm currently working with two authors on submissions for the Hexhead Tech forum and the K-Brick tech forum. That will keep me occupied for a while, so starting an entirely new thread/FAQ such as this isn't going to happen real soon if people are waiting for me to do it. If anyone wants to do it - please PM me and we'll see how we can make it happen.

Best,