PDA

View Full Version : Question about Voltage

rmeisen
03-24-2009, 11:24 AM
There's been alot of discussion on this board about things electircal in the Hexheads. As I read through them I wondered if there was a pattern of over-voltage in the circuit or on the CanBus. The fact that headlight bulbs blow every 12K-18K, (my 04 RT had the originals at 70k but I've already replaced both on the 07), The battery travails with specific machines and so on. Over Voltage would lead to a premature failure of most components in the system unless they had their own built in circuit protection. (which would explain why we don't see circuit boarded items blow-up too..) Any Ideas?

tommcgee
03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I've been carrying spare bulbs for 40 years, no matter the vehicle. They're gonna burn out sooner or later. The newer and brighter buibs do burn out quicker --- Sylvania/Osram, Silverstar, PIAA, etc.

darrylri
03-24-2009, 01:20 PM
I haven't seen any evidence of overvoltage problems with my '07 R1200ST. At 38k miles I'm still using the original two H4 headlight bulbs, and all the other bulbs (except for the BRAKE LED taillight). And I'm still on the original battery.

I did trade out the puny horn for a Stebel, and while doing that I added a Fuzeblock and relocated my 10amp, non-CANbus accessory outlet to the left dash panel. I haven't had any problems using that with my Gerbings jacket.

You could get one of the small voltage displays available and then you might find out that your bike does have a problem. But the voltage is controlled by the integrated regulator in the alternator, not by anything in the CANbus.