PDA

View Full Version : Looking for model year changes

dwyer12180
03-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi all --

Apologies if this isn't exactly on topic, but I thought I'd start here.

I'm looking for a list of BMW motorcycle model year changes. Somewhere there must be a list of what features are found on each model year, and what the changes from the previous year, etc. etc.

I ride a R75/5 and am thinking of upgrading to something more modern. I can't afford a new bike, but I want to avoid some of the problems of past years that were corrected. For instance, I heard that the ABS is greatly improved for 2008? That twin spark first appeared in 2004 and was an improvement? That surging was a big problem on R1100's but not on R1200? And so on.

Does this list appear the BMWMOA website, or if not does anyone know where?

Thanks --- Scott

PAULBACH
03-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Hello Scott

Try this site (http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/slash.htm) to start.

There is also an outstanding English site but have not relocated it - yet!

PAULBACH
03-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Here you go!

Click here (http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/bmwmodels.htm)

On this page, you'll find links to specifications of all BMW motorcycles produced since 1923.

r11rs94
03-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks Paul, I'm going to keep those two address for future rainy day reading. :thumb

dwyer12180
03-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks, Paul. Those lists certainly give all the specifications. Great reading.

The other thing I would like to see is an objective list of the "problems" various models had and how the succeeding model might have fixed the problem. Perhaps that doesn't exist for fear of offending owners?? :-)

For instance, again, I heard that the ABS system had "complaints" up until about the model year 2008, then it was fixed. Is that true?
I heard that the surging problem was solved (??) with the addition of twin spark plugs in 2004. True?

I guess what I am asking, bottom line, is: If I want a used bike, what model year seems to be the best? I know it's all relative, but I'd like to avoid some of the pitfalls over the years. Maybe the best BMW is the R75/5 that I'm now riding ! It is pretty much bullet proof.

Thanks again --- Scott

marchyman
03-23-2009, 01:04 AM
For instance, again, I heard that the ABS system had "complaints" up until about the model year 2008, then it was fixed. Is that true?
I heard that the surging problem was solved (??) with the addition of twin spark plugs in 2004. True?

True in the eye of the beholder. Some prefer the older brakes, some the newer. The majority don't like the electo assist. Not everyone feels that way. I haven't tried the newer bikes so can't comment. I have no issues with my '05 GS.

// marc

PGlaves
03-23-2009, 02:44 AM
Thanks, Paul. Those lists certainly give all the specifications. Great reading.

The other thing I would like to see is an objective list of the "problems" various models had and how the succeeding model might have fixed the problem. Perhaps that doesn't exist for fear of offending owners?? :-)

I guess what I am asking, bottom line, is: If I want a used bike, what model year seems to be the best? I know it's all relative, but I'd like to avoid some of the pitfalls over the years. Maybe the best BMW is the R75/5 that I'm now riding ! It is pretty much bullet proof.

Thanks again --- Scott

Among the late models - certainly in the last 10 years there are no dogs. And there is no objective list of problems either. The very large vast majority of owners have few problems. The four most notorious problems are surging on 1100s, final drive failures on Oilheads and K 1200LTs; HES wiring failures on 1100s, and Anti-theft antenna ring failures on R1200s and other latest model bikes.

The only inevitable failure or issue on this list is the HES wiring issue on the R1100s. Sooner or later that one will bite. But the other problems happen to a small percentage of the bikes of those models. BUT - my happy bike is your horible bike if you have a failure and I don't. Thus, no objective list.