PDA

View Full Version : 2007 R1200RT - Lowered Saddle

ghyber
03-22-2009, 03:36 AM
I just purchased a 2007 model with less than 200 miles in fantastic condition. I noticed though that the former owner had a lowered seat (suspension is untouched).

I want to change that seat for the regular one. My seats are heated. I wonder if this is going to be an expensive trial.

Any comments or suggestions out there.

GB

p.s. the are a couple of holes in the rear fender, does anyone know what they're supposed to be used for?

p.s. finally, I want to install an Extenda Fenda. Any thoughts or comments on the product which is not cheap for a piece of platic.

Semper_Fi
03-22-2009, 05:52 AM
For the seat - if you want oem see your dealer, else many aftermarket options available, another thing you may do is if you can contact the original owner and see if it the orginal seat(S) were retained

For the holes in the back fender - they are there to accomodate European liscence plates

For the extender - I was thinking of adding it to mine but did not see a need - yes the exhaust balance tube and alternator belt cover gets road grimed but cleans up easy enough. YMMV on this one

Motorwerk
03-22-2009, 02:13 PM
For the seat you may want to check out the flea market. Many times you can find a good deal from people who replaced with aftermarket.

I installed the fender extender from Bob's BMW. Didn't care to put screws through the fender so after a good roughing with sandpaper on both surfaces it was epoxied. I really like that it helps minimizes the crud on the engine front.

The rear fender can also accomodate an OEM extended fender. It attaches to the hole you will find in the center of the fender.

Good luck with the new scoot!

bogthebasher
03-23-2009, 01:11 AM
I just purchased a 2007 model with less than 200 miles in fantastic condition. I noticed though that the former owner had a lowered seat (suspension is untouched).

I want to change that seat for the regular one. My seats are heated. I wonder if this is going to be an expensive trial.

Any comments or suggestions out there.

GB

If you are reasonably close to a dealership and have a decent relationship with them I was successful doing a swap for my wife by just asking the sales guys to let you know if someone who is vertically challenged is buying a new bike but the only ones in stock have the (wrong) seat. Offer to deliver to the shop or to the new owner and you could be like me and have a totally free swap - and both of you will be happy. You never know...

SilverRT
03-25-2009, 01:04 AM
GB, I have a rear standard height heated seat I took off when I purchased my RT. I don't have a need for it. I already sold the front seat. Here is what I did with the holes:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd221/mgnksn/P6140131.jpg

The extenter does a great job of keeping the junk off of the back of the bike.