PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive for case system plastic

FredRydr
03-17-2009, 07:45 PM
I want to attach an OEM BMW backrest pad to the hard topcase of my '07 R1200R, but I do not want to drill the two holes. I want to be able to remove the pad without the holes, you see.

The bottom of the pad clips to the inside of the bottom edge of the lid, but the pad has two bolts for which two holes must be drilled. I plan to remove the bolts and use an adhesive, instead. Does anyone have a recommendation for an adhesive to use on the smooth textured case system plastic?

Fred

leadfoot
03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some velcro with sticky backing. If prepped properly (wipe with alcohol), and the contour is not too sharp, allowing good contact it should work well. If you do not like it, or it does not work, just peel it off and clean with mineral spirits. Not really sure what your design looks like, but it might work.

Just one idea of many more that are sure to pour in.

markgoodrich
03-18-2009, 01:36 AM
Jim's idea might work, although I've found that over time heavy duty velcro isn't as reliably "re-fixable" as 3M Dual Lock. I think you may end up with a problem having anything stick to the pad.

Have you considered just drilling the holes, and when you want the pad off, plug them with solid rubber grommets?

RACEYDOG
03-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Have you considered using double sided tape? 3M makes one for attaching bumperskins, sideskirts and emblems for autos that works really well. Any paint/bodyshop supply store should have it. Auto parts places have it too.

FredRydr
03-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Have you considered just drilling the holes....?
After some research, Mark's (and BMW's) idea wins out in the end. I'll never remove the thing, anyway.

Fred