PDA

View Full Version : 07 R12GS handguard options (broke mine)

glenfiddich
03-16-2009, 10:02 PM
While warming up for the first ride of the year, centerstand down on my slate porch, the slate cracked and my '07 R12GS fell onto the snow on its right side. Everything was fine EXCEPT the small plastic piece that connects the inboard end of the right handguard to the brake/throttle assembly. (It's the 4cm long piece of black plastic with one hole on one end and two on the other.)

My local dealer says BMW had so many breakage issues that it was redesigned for '08 and the original is no longer available. Replacing the handguards with the new design costs $168 plus tax.

Before I dish out that much cash, are there better (more durable) aftermarket options out there?

TIA, Pete

marchyman
03-17-2009, 12:31 AM
Before shelling out for the replacement hand guards I think I'd play with a couple of bucks worth of JB Stik to see if I could form something close to the desired shape. If you've still got the broken pieces you can integrate that into the JB Stik design. If it doesn't work you're only out some time and a few $.

// marc

sit
03-17-2009, 01:44 AM
I know some don't like ebay, but there are handguards on there quite often. None right now, but there are these, is this what you are talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-BMW-R1200GS-Handguard-support-brackets-1200-gs_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a10Q7c 39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhas hZitem280309616491QQitemZ280309616491QQptZMotorcyc lesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

deilenberger
03-17-2009, 03:32 AM
Actually - the reason BMW has no parts is - this design of handguard has been discontinued due to a few accidents that appear to have been caused by them, and they've been replaced with a new design. The accidents apparently happened when the handguard rotated slightly around the bars, and contacted the brake lever on a bike, causing the pressure relief port in the master cylinder to not be open, the brakes to overheat and seize and a resulting accident.

I thought this was silly - until I tried rotating the GS handguards that I'd installed on my R12R - and found the scenerio was entirely possible. I now check to make sure they haven't rotated as part of my pre-flight check (I just flick the lever forward with a finger - if it moves everything is OK. If not - it's binding and the handguard has rotated.)

YMMV - but BMW won't sell you any parts for them, they want you to spend the $170 and get the new design guards.

marchyman
03-17-2009, 03:58 AM
Or order the part for the HP2. It looks to be the same.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0389&mospid=48842&btnr=32_1607&hg=32&fg=25

part 6.

// marc

deilenberger
03-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Or order the part for the HP2. It looks to be the same.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0389&mospid=48842&btnr=32_1607&hg=32&fg=25

part 6.

// marcmarc,

RealOEM may show the part - but I'd be interested if anyone manages to order it. AFAIK - BMW has pulled ALL the parts for the original GS handguards out of stock.

The_Veg
03-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Everything was fine EXCEPT the small plastic piece that connects the inboard end of the right handguard to the brake/throttle assembly. (It's the 4cm long piece of black plastic with one hole on one end and two on the other.)

Hi Pete,
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but what I think everybody else missed here is that you'd like to keep your original handguard and just repair or replace the broken plastic bracket, right?

If the original piece is not mendable, it looks to me like it would be super-easy to make up a new bracket with a bit of metal, a drill, and some pliers or other bending-tools, and a couple of nuts that will be needed since the original piece was threaded. You could even paint it black to make it less noticeable, if that matters to you.

I say go for it! :thumb

marchyman
03-18-2009, 12:54 AM
marc,

RealOEM may show the part - but I'd be interested if anyone manages to order it. AFAIK - BMW has pulled ALL the parts for the original GS handguards out of stock.

That's not the GS, its the part for the HP2 which has not (I dont' think) been changed as the HP2 hand guard doesn't have the problems that the GS hand guard did. It's a different part number, too. That said, I'm not 100% sure it will fit (just noticed that it looked the same on a friend's HP2) and don't know if you can order one or not. Wouldn't hurt to try.

// marc

glenfiddich
03-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks, all! While researching online I found a replacement pair of brackets on eBay. That will do for now. I'll be checking out options at the National in July.

Thanks again, Pete

MRMAICO
03-19-2009, 09:41 PM
That's not the GS, its the part for the HP2 which has not (I dont' think) been changed as the HP2 hand guard doesn't have the problems that the GS hand guard did. It's a different part number, too. That said, I'm not 100% sure it will fit (just noticed that it looked the same on a friend's HP2) and don't know if you can order one or not. Wouldn't hurt to try.

// marc

I just got a set of the HP2 brackets in the mail. They are identical to my original ones. They both even have the same last 7 digits of the part number that the fiche shows for the HP2 brackets. Part #'s 32 72 7 684 575 (left) and 576 (right). I got them from Hammersley/Crossroads BMW for $8.44 each.

Barry