PDA

View Full Version : 2007 R1200RT 6000 mile service

oilhands
03-16-2009, 04:29 AM
Hi all. New here and new to the BMW motorrad world. I recieved this bike as a gift from my brother last fall and it is now sitting close to the 6000 mile mark.

I had a voice mail from the local BMW dealer (BMW of Southeast Michigan) about setting up the service. I had filled out their appointment web form the night before and they called me the next morning but I missed the call.

Anyway, the service fella said in his message that I would need to leave the bike overnight because its engine needs to be cold to do the value adjustment. I had been hoping to ride the bike in early on a Saturday morning to get the work done and if they needed the bike cold I had been planning on being at the dealership a few hours before they opened. I'm not sure about getting somebody to pick me up and then take me to pick up the bike every 6,000 miles. Kind of a drag and I'd like to avoid it, but I really want to have the dealer do the work.

Any ideas or suggestions before I give these guys a call?

marchyman
03-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Some dealers (mine, anyway) provide a loaner bike as long as the reservation is made far enough in advance that one can be reserved. Perhaps your dealer does the same?

// marc

RSPENNACHIO
03-16-2009, 02:04 PM
:D BMW of Southeast Michigan just did my 6000 mile work (same bike as yours). I did not buy my RT from them but they are closer to Dearborn than BMW of Detroit. Anyway, they have two F800S's and one R1200 R that are service loaners. I am sure they'll send you home on one of these if you ask when you call to schedule. They told me that they wanted the my bike bike overnight to be sure it was cold. No problem, they have loaners:D . I told them that I was in no hurry because I wanted to play with the F800 for a few days. I dropped the RT off Friday night. They called Monday morning when it was ready. I asked if I could keep the F800 an extra day or two, since they weren't too busy they said sure.

By the way, about 1-2 weeks ago there was a discussion about a guy who had this same 6000 mile work done at a dealer in Az. He got totaly screwed as they charged him like $450.00.

My work cost $157.00 (including tax and fees). I did my own oil change just prior to taking it in. They replaced the key ring per the TSB. If you don't mind let us know how much they charge you. Maybe we can help generate some guild lines for new BM'er riders on what to expect from a good dealer.:idea

henzilla
03-16-2009, 02:39 PM
I don't buy the totally cold engine line. Have done many services with a warm engine and by the time you prep it to do the actual adjustment, the components are not that hot. The local dealers do lot's of these while folks wait...my 600 mile was done while I waited as well.

oilhands
03-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. :)

I called Chris at BMW of Southeast Michigan this morning and we talked about my options. The loner bikes are busy until at least next week, but if I'd like to wait I could use one. I road the bike to work today and it currently is sitting at 6,000 miles exactly. I would like to get this done sooner rather than later as I am now riding to work daily. This would put me at about about 6,250 by the end of this week and 6,600 by the end of the next.

I can pay $75 for pickup and delivery of the bike. If the service total is above $400 I would not be charged for pickup and delivery. If I wanted new tires too ($480 quote for 2 new tires w/mounting) this would be great. However, the quote for the 6,000 mile service alone was given as $257.00 so that means $75 pick-up and delivery charge or snooker somebody into picking me up and then dropping me off.

Lots to think about. :dunno

sailorlite
03-16-2009, 03:43 PM
The two nearest dealers both suggested that I could wait (3-4 hrs.) while the 6K was performed. I asked about the valve adjust - both said the engine would be cold enough. Rode it to Long Beach BMW who did a fine job, no surprises, and charged 3.3 hrs. labor plus oil (dino) and filter.

Leaving your bike overnight, and having the use of an interesting loaner, sounds like a good idea - but the "overnight" part doesn't seem absolutely necessary or beneficial.

DZIMBRIC
03-16-2009, 04:51 PM
New tires @ 6K?
$157.00 for a 6K maintenance at a BMW dealer?

Actually $400.00 is probally not too far off, $157.00 seems a little cheap, wonder what they skipped?

oilhands
03-16-2009, 05:14 PM
New tires @ 6K?
$157.00 for a 6K maintenance at a BMW dealer?

Actually $400.00 is probally not too far off, $157.00 seems a little cheap, wonder what they skipped?

Yeah, I think I'm good on tires for a while yet. Not sure what miles I should expect out of the ones I have.

The $157 dollar amount he quoted above was a case were he did the oil change himself.

DZIMBRIC
03-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I think I'm good on tires for a while yet. Not sure what miles I should expect out of the ones I have.

The $157 dollar amount he quoted above was a case were he did the oil change himself.

The dealer normally charges over an hour just to take off the tupperware.

PGlaves
03-16-2009, 08:05 PM

I never could figure out why those guys won't work on my bike free. I do it all the time. :) :)

marcopolo
03-16-2009, 11:49 PM

My independent BMW Master Tech takes the tupperware off in ten minutes, or less.

As for the OP's actual mileage, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Besides, the actual service interval is 10,000 kms, which is 6,200 miles (it's been rounded down to 6,000). I'd also suggest downloading/printing the BMW maintenance schedule to see what's called for at the 6,000 mile service (you can find them on several sites, including A&S BMW in California). You could also ask the dealer for a copy -- before the service. In any event, you should get a copy, duly checked off and signed by the tech upon completion of the work.

Finally, I think th notion of leaving the bike overnight for the valve adjustment is overkill, especially if you were to arrive early. I do that all the time; my tech also puts fans on the cylinder heads and uses a laser thermometer to check to see if the temp is within BMW's specs for a valve adjustment.

Semper_Fi
03-16-2009, 11:49 PM

An hour for the tupperware?? so what do they do for the other 40 minutes??

oilhands
03-17-2009, 05:44 PM
My independent BMW Master Tech

Where can I find a list of these folks?

As it stands right now I am waiting for the BMW dealer's truck driver to give me a call to schedule a pickup of the bike as I had difficulty finding somebody with free time to pick me up and then drop me off. It sounds like spring has sprung for them and they are suddenly very busy.

As far as driving the bike over 6,000 miles (or even a few hundred over 6,200) should I not worry too much? Ride it easy?

Thanks again for all the informative replies. :)

Edit (found this, but nobody near me): http://admin.ibmwr.org/dealers-independent.shtml

alanrd
03-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Where can I find a list of these folks?

As it stands right now I am waiting for the BMW dealer's truck driver to give me a call to schedule a pickup of the bike as I had difficulty finding somebody with free time to pick me up and then drop me off. It sounds like spring has sprung for them and they are suddenly very busy.

As far as driving the bike over 6,000 miles (or even a few hundred over 6,200) should I not worry too much? Ride it easy?

Thanks again for all the informative replies. :)

Edit (found this, but nobody near me): http://admin.ibmwr.org/dealers-independent.shtml
If you had service at 600 miles (for the valve adjust and oil change), then 600 plus 6000 = 6600.
You are fine. It won't blow up.

oilhands
03-17-2009, 07:02 PM
If you had service at 600 miles (for the valve adjust and oil change), then 600 plus 6000 = 6600.
You are fine. It won't blow up.

Well well well. I guess I hadn't thought of that. Those specs for service are elapsed mileage intervals and not hard and fast odometer readings. Thanks a bunch for the info. I feel more at ease already. :dance

So my schedule if I had service exactly on the numbers (10,000km=6,200miles) would be as follows then:
600 (initial break-in service)
6,800 (service)
13,000 (inspection/oil change)
19,200 (service)
25,400 (inspection/oil change)
31,600 (service)
37,800 (inspection/oil change)
...ad infinitum...

:groovy

jimfastcar
03-17-2009, 08:18 PM
If you name your city in your Profile, others may be able to help you more easily
Just saying........

oilhands
03-17-2009, 08:35 PM
If you name your city in your Profile, others may be able to help you more easily
Just saying........

True enough. :type Done!

The driver just called to setup the pickup. He says the cost for pickup and delivery is $50 each way and not $75 for the round trip. :( Since it seems I have some miles yet I am going to wait until my brother moves back home from Maryland this next week. I'll be sure to update this thread when I get my final bill for the 6,000 mile service from these guys.

RSPENNACHIO
03-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Actually $400.00 is probally not too far off, $157.00 seems a little cheap, wonder what they skipped?[/QUOTE]

They skipped the oil change (as requested).

SE BMW also quoted me the $257.00 figure when first inquired. Once he found out that no oil change was required he said "ok it'll be cheaper then."

DZIMBRIC- did you pay $400 for the 6000 mile service on your 05 GS?
Who did it? "SE BMW" formerly known as "Earhard BMW" formerly known as "Andrew Plec BMW" or formerly known as "Andy Plec BMW?" Or G.R. BMW?

Someone for sure will detail the similarities or differences between the 05 GS and the 07 RT. But are we comparing apples to apples?

If Mr. oilhands and I were quoted $257.00 then maybe going forward $400 is just too high??

henzilla
03-18-2009, 01:37 PM
differences between GS and RT is mainly what you have to do to prep bike...RT,remove most tupperware, GS ,skidplate and minor trim to get to air filter.
maybe a 1/2 hour shop time diff I would think.

JANMILLER
03-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi all. New here and new to the BMW motorrad world. I recieved this bike as a gift from my brother last fall and it is now sitting close to the 6000 mile mark.

I had a voice mail from the local BMW dealer (BMW of Southeast Michigan) about setting up the service. I had filled out their appointment web form the night before and they called me the next morning but I missed the call.

Anyway, the service fella said in his message that I would need to leave the bike overnight because its engine needs to be cold to do the value adjustment. I had been hoping to ride the bike in early on a Saturday morning to get the work done and if they needed the bike cold I had been planning on being at the dealership a few hours before they opened. I'm not sure about getting somebody to pick me up and then take me to pick up the bike every 6,000 miles. Kind of a drag and I'd like to avoid it, but I really want to have the dealer do the work.

Any ideas or suggestions before I give these guys a call?

My dealer is 135 miles away. When I was having them service the bike (I do it now the warranty is expired), I'd drive down arriving 8am, they'd do the service starting around noon, and I'd be out headed home around 2:30pm... I just hung around the town, breakfasted, walked, had some lunch, BS'd with the guys there. No worries.

oilhands
03-18-2009, 04:27 PM
My dealer is 135 miles away. When I was having them service the bike (I do it now the warranty is expired), I'd drive down arriving 8am, they'd do the service starting around noon, and I'd be out headed home around 2:30pm... I just hung around the town, breakfasted, walked, had some lunch, BS'd with the guys there. No worries.

Sounds exactly like I was hoping to do. These folks are still insisting that I bring it in the night before. :scratch

I have another dealer in the area. Maybe I should give them a call and see if they give me the same story.

jnjbrink
03-18-2009, 09:20 PM
It sounds like we need to set up a good ol' Tech Daze in the SE Michigan area. I have the tools and knowledge and am more than willing to help out. I have a single-car garage and not a lot of working room (gotta fit the cage in there too!). I'm in A2 but am willing to travel if someone wants to host this sometime.

When I lived in SoCal I set up two, pretty big Tech Daze (catering, speakers, tech sessions on tire changes, spline lube, etc.). Again, I don't have the best venue but wouldn't mind helping out with organization and technical assistance.

What ya' all say?

Jim

Artiee
03-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Anyway, the service fella said in his message that I would need to leave the bike overnight because its engine needs to be cold to do the value adjustment.

Someone else commented on this issue also.

I'm not sure why they would say that. I have a 2005 RT and just had the 36K maintenance completed (at 37K). For every routine, scheduled maintenance, I've ridden the motorcycle to the dealer (25 miles) and dropped it off as they opened in the morning. I always had it back before the end of the day.

I've never been told I had to leave it over night for the routine maintenance.

leadfoot
03-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Someone else commented on this issue also.

I'm not sure why they would say that. I have a 2005 RT and just had the 36K maintenance completed (at 37K). For every routine, scheduled maintenance, I've ridden the motorcycle to the dealer (25 miles) and dropped it off as they opened in the morning. I always had it back before the end of the day.

I've never been told I had to leave it over night for the routine maintenance.

I think it is a shop scheduling thing, or preference. If a shop tells customers just come by and we will do it same day, and the customer arrives early as preferred, no problem. But then they have to deal with customers running late, therefore leaving a hole in that service period because the tech cannot start on the bike yet. This jumbles up their service schedule. For my first 6K, I left the house at 4AM, rode 250 miles, arrived at 9AM, picked up a loaner, got mine back at 3PM, and rode home. I was tired, but they got it done. I think if I had not promised to be there at opening time they would have turned me down.

Bottom line I think it is just to accomodate scheduling so that they can get the best bang for what they are paying the tech.

TONY2733
03-21-2009, 04:10 AM
I have the final drive gear oil changed every other service on my 2007 RT with 30K miles, just for good measure,

oilhands
03-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Well I just got off the phone with BMW of Detroit (Sterling Heights) and the service manager indicated that same day service on a Saturday would be fine. I suggested that I would get to the shop a couple hours before they open so that the bike will cool off. He said that would be helpful. The quoted cost for the service from this dealership is $315. Given the overnight issue with the other dealer I figure a few extra bucks and bit longer ride to the shop will be worth it. After all, if I don't like how it goes I can alway go try the other dealer next time.

leadfoot
03-26-2009, 08:01 PM
That price ($315) is comparable to the bill that I got from Bogart's in Birmingham Al. for my 6K service. Not a bad price in my opinion, considering the work that was performed. I have since performed my own work with the exception of a computer reprogram for the Service Reminder. That costed me 1 hours labor ($75). I am planning on purchasing a GS911 for future work.

RSPENNACHIO
03-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Glad to see that it's working out for you. BMW of Detriot has had a lot of sales staff turn over in the last year. I'll bet they go the extra mile for you.

600 mile service= Wow, this thing revs faster and smoother!

6000 mile service= Wow, this thing lifts the front wheel off of the ground! (please see disclaimer)

I have been told that it will keep improving untill about 40,000 miles. Let us know if you experience this "Wow" phenomenon too.

bigskyrider
03-27-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm from Montana and I have a 07 R1200 GS nearing 6K miles.
I'm out on the road and I just arrived in the San Fran. Bay area and called Cal-BMW for a price on the 6K mile service, they quoted me $435.00. I also called A&S in Roseville and they quoted me $398.00......yikes!
I also need the brake and clutch fluid flushed, they said that would be an add on of $150. This would bring the service up to and nearing 6 bills.....
Is there a shop within 200 miles that might be a little more reasonable?

I can do all of my own fluid changes but I figure maybe I should just bite the bullet......any advice?

Thanks!

Mike
P.S. Update: I just called Big Twin in Boise and they said it's a two hour service at $70.00 per hour plus oil etc. so the total bill shouldn't be over $250.00.....that seems fair and since I'm headed that way I'll give them a try.

marchyman
03-27-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm from Montana and I have a 07 R1200 GS nearing 6K miles.
I'm out on the road and I just arrived in the San Fran. Bay area and called Cal-BMW for a price on the 6K mile service, they quoted me $435.00. I also called A&S in Roseville and they quoted me $398.00......yikes!

High labor rates, for one thing. I suspect the rates are north of $85/hour by now.

I also need the brake and clutch fluid flushed, they said that would be an add on of $150. This would bring the service up to and nearing 6 bills.....
Is there a shop within 200 miles that might be a little more reasonable?

Uhhh, why the clutch? Are you having problems in that area? The clutch uses a mineral oil which is not hygroscopic and should not need to be touched.

// marc

bigskyrider
03-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Hi Marc.

Yep, I'm thinking about the 2000 GS in regards to the clutch.
The motorcycle service work is high around here but I love to visit this area, great weather, riding and mexican food....yum!:dance
I shot this photo yesterday along Highway 1 near Big Sur.

LONERANGER
03-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Mischler's in Beaver Dam Wisconsin quoted me $295 for my 6K service on my 08 RT. I will be heading up there in May to get it done.....;)

oilhands
04-05-2009, 04:41 AM
It has been an interesting day. :type

My brother and I rode down to BMW of Detroit (Sterling Heights, MI) this morning, him on his 2007 Ducatii 999 (http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2007/146_0608_2007_ducati_999s_team_usa/index.html) and I on my 2007 BMW R1200RT. As I said earlier in this thread, I had arranged for my 6,000 mile service to be done by these folks even though they were farther away than the dealsership in Canton, MI because I was hoping to have it serviced while I waited. :idea

Well, the best laid plans of mice and men and all that...har har.... :jester

My mom's place is closer to this dealer so I decided to save myself some time Saturday morning by staying there the night before. I rode up Friday night in 40 mile an hour gusts of wind. :eek

Saturday itself started off great. The day dawned crisp and bright with not a cloud in the sky. We headed down M-15 towards I-75 just a bit after sun up and were down to the dealership about an hour before open. The temp being about 35 degrees and a steady 20 mile an hour wind made leaving all the gear on after the ride no problem. :burnout

We took a very short walk to The Pantry (http://www.thepantryrestaurant.com/) to have breakfast. :eat This was a great family run place with fast service and good breakfast fare. Just as we finished up and walked back to the dealership we noticed a handful of bikes pulling in. We arrived at the doors just at the open sign was flipped and I then turned in my keys and signed my forms with the service manager. :thumb

I started to walk around looking at the cool bikes on display and within minutes the dealership was swamped with riders. I'd guess about 20 at least. Oddly many of them had official looking BMW name tags and engaged me in conversation as if we were destined to be pals. It turned out to be folks gathering for the 10:30 AM start of the monthly meeting (1st Saturday) of the Motor City Beemers (http://www.bmwdetroit.com/newsletter.pdf) ride club. What a great bunch of guys and gals. They had their doughnuts and met to dicsuss ride club business and were out on the road to Port Huron by about 11:30 AM or so. :groovy

My brother and I dug in to wait. Coffee (free of course) and soda pop($0.75) were available. The BMW of Detroit folks (real nice folk BTW) also had some snacks and food available thoughout the day. Plenty of reading material and plenty of nice bikes to drool over. A nice fellow from MotoQuest Tours (http://www.motoquesttours.com/) dropped by and played DVDs of exotic motorcycle tours. Great stuff, but out of my price range for now. :thumb

Well as it got closer to 4 PM closing time I kept expecting to be called back and settle up the account and what not. About 3:40 PM or so the service manager came out to tell me the bad news. If I understand the situation correctly, the warrenty service item (ignition key security bug?) included some sort of flashing of the onboard computer's memory......the bottom line: my bike was mechanically ready to rock and roll, but the onboard computer was non-responsive and the bike was incapable of being started. :scratch

Apparently the onboard computer software is regularly updated by BMW and the service manager said the dealership received a bad build of the code for my 2007 R1200RT. Anyway, they gave me the bagless and unfared R1200C loaner bike to ride the 80ish miles home. Long story short: the wind beat the heck out of me on the highway, my butt is sore as heck, my inner thighs and arms are sore from the cruiser position and I left my toothbrush, dress shoes, clear visor, and heartburn meds in the top case of my RT. :brad

I'm not really looking forward to commuting to work with the loaner and then riding from there to the dealership whenever my bike is fixed. Even if my bike is fixed Monday we are supposed to have snow and maybe even have a couple inches of it stick! :rofl

So, I'm thinking maybe paying $100 to have the bike picked up and dropped off in for future service might not be such a bad idea after all. :ha

leadfoot
04-05-2009, 11:37 AM
That 100 dollars might be money well spent. Unfortunate about the bike, but it does sound like the dealer tried to accomodate you as best they could. Not really their fault, guess stuff happens. Wish there were more dealers like that. My nearest dealer is 100 miles away, but I opted to go to the next one that is 250 miles away.

oilhands
04-06-2009, 01:02 AM
I'm not particularly angry at the dealership or any of the staff or anything. These things happen. Obviously a somewhat frustrating experience. Given the situation and the distances involved it just might turn out that the Canton dealership is a better fit for me.

oilhands
04-08-2009, 09:43 PM
OK, I picked up my bike today from BMW of Detroit. The damages: $351. They charged me 0.5 hours extra because my crash bars are a pain in the butt to remove and replace. They also performed the warranty work I described above. In addition, I had a custom power outlet for heated gear installed onto the battery which they did for no charge. So, all in all, not too bad $$$$ wise. Anybody nearby to them I would recommend giving them a try. Given their location I think I will try out the other dealership just for fun when I need the 12,000 miles service done.

Also, like many have noted in the Hexhead forum: she runs better and seems smoother than before. Of course, that could be a skewed observation given the loaner bike I had just road was an R1200C. Who knows? :dunno

04-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I took my 2008 RT into BMW of SE MI yesterday for the 6K service and hyper lites. I should be getting it back tomorrow. The entire crew at BMW of SE MI are top notch. I've never had any negative experiences with them and they treat me like family every time I go in there.

I forgot that they had Service Loaners and asked for one after making the initial appointment. No problems, unfortunately I was supposed to go in Monday, but the great weather of Michigan struck and there was no way I was riding in the snow. I just called up, talked to Mike, and he switched me to Wednesday.

I will say one thing, my RT is awesome compared to the 1200R they let me use.

wassallj
04-17-2009, 12:24 AM
I took my 2007 R1200RT in for the 6k mile service on Monday. My dealer called today and said it was done and the bill was $261.

akbeemer
04-20-2009, 03:49 AM
$278.00 at Trail's End BMW in Fairbanks, Alaska. That included having the Final Drive fluid replaced which is not a normal part of the service.

bigskyrider
04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
I took my 07 R1200 GS in for it's 6K service yesterday at Big Sky Motorsports in Missoula. They performed the service and also changed all of the fluids...that was an add on.

The staff was friendly, punctual and knew their stuff.

The total was: $280.00 no tax in Montana! I had this bike in San Francisco two weeks ago and was quoted $450 for the 6K service..yikes!

They also have a great collection of T-Shirts.

swall
04-23-2009, 10:13 PM
AKbeemer--George works on Hexheads?