PDA

View Full Version : Front tire bouncing

ToadKing
03-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Last week, all the sudden I noticed a bouncing sensation in the front tire at low speeds like it's out of balance. I looked at everything, no missing weights, air pressure 40 psi?? And I don't feel it after like 40 mph. So, I just did a 400 mile trip Saturday and I looked at the tire and it has cupping wear on every other tread block, and it's a lot of wear. 1200 GSA with Annakee Michelins. Tires have about 3000 miles on them now. Any ideas? Maybe a front shock problem? It sat in the snow for a month, flat spot??:banghead

PGlaves
03-16-2009, 02:43 AM
Usually this happens if it throws a weight.

Absent that, shock - maybe?

More likely a broken belt or other deformity in the tire.

Put it on the centerstand - front wheel off the ground - block it if you have to.

Spin the wheel by hand and look for any sign it is out of round, or has a bulge.

Set something stationary beside the wheel tire, and sight along its edge to view the tread portion of the tire. This makes it easy to spot any spot that is out of round.

The_Veg
03-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Last week, all the sudden I noticed a bouncing sensation in the front tire at low speeds like it's out of balance. I looked at everything, no missing weights

Without re-checking the balance, I would not assume that there is not a balance problem. Check it and go from there.

03-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Did you air it up before riding? I once had a balance problem as a result of water in the tire, I could only guess it was too much condensation in the compressor.