PDA

View Full Version : r1200gs oil light and ticking?

papawheelie
03-16-2009, 01:38 AM
this can't be good. went for a short ride 3 miles and the bike ran perfect. Stopped for about 10 minutes and when I started it the motor was ticking oddly. I pulled out and the warning light kept flashing. As I rode the three miles home the engine was ticking and the light was intermittently flashing. The oil level is perfect. Any thoughts?

PGlaves
03-16-2009, 01:42 AM
this can't be good. went for a short ride 3 miles and the bike ran perfect. Stopped for about 10 minutes and when I started it the motor was ticking oddly. I pulled out and the warning light kept flashing. As I rode the three miles home the engine was ticking and the light was intermittently flashing. The oil level is perfect. Any thoughts?

Warranty

papawheelie
03-16-2009, 01:53 AM
warranty is long been gone. I'm on my own with this one.

papawheelie
03-16-2009, 04:30 PM
update:
The bike is normal today. :dunno I'm sure the problem will re appear.

reimerdavid
03-17-2009, 09:00 PM
update:
The bike is normal today. :dunno I'm sure the problem will re appear.

I trust you checked the oil level ?

papawheelie
03-19-2009, 11:37 PM
uh yea, I kinda was hoping somehow I lost the oil magically, but the level is perfect.

LOSTBOY
03-20-2009, 01:58 AM
Are you using an OEM filter? If so, how long since the last oil change? There's an off chance that the oil pressure relief valve is sticking. It's fairly easy to get to this on an R11/R12.

papawheelie
03-20-2009, 02:07 AM
Are you using an OEM filter? If so, how long since the last oil change? There's an off chance that the oil pressure relief valve is sticking. It's fairly easy to get to this on an R11/R12.

is the oil pressure relief valve in the filter? :dunno The way I can explain the sound is:

when I first start the bike it will knock 3-5 times right at start up. It has been doing that since I bought it. But the knocking in this situation never ended. Then the light came on when taking it easy, and it would go off under power, knocking the whole time.

RandyW
03-22-2009, 04:29 PM
is the oil pressure relief valve in the filter? :dunno The way I can explain the sound is:

when I first start the bike it will knock 3-5 times right at start up. It has been doing that since I bought it. But the knocking in this situation never ended. Then the light came on when taking it easy, and it would go off under power, knocking the whole time.

Not basing this on any great knowledge of the 1200 boxer, I've got a GSA but still learning it, however general engine knowledge. From your description...A couple of "knocks" or "ticks" after a start up, especially cold, shouldn't be much of a worry. It takes a little time for the oil to get around the engine and to warm up, but normally should stop once the oil is flowing. Thus the fact that the noise didn't stop isn't normal. I'm sure the warning light is based on oil pressure, most are, and will provide a warning of low oil level due to the lowered pressure or a flow problem that causes lowered pressure. Seeing as you checked the level and it's good the light would indicate some sort of oil flow problem to me. An engine will have less pressure at low speed or under a light load than at speed or when under a load. You say the light came on under a light load but went out under power, which again says to me that there is a flow problem and the load is causing enough pressure to fool the light into thinking the pressure is OK. The continued knocking would seem that you still weren't getting correct oil flow but enough pressure to cut the light. Problem could be something like a relief valve or a blocked or partially blocked oil port or even a clogged oil filter. You said that the problem had stopped which may be that whatever the problem was cleared, but as you also say it may start up again.

First thing I would do and the easiest to start with is to change the oil and filter, taking a good look at what comes out for anything out of the ordnary. Simple first step and an oil change can't hurt. The problem could even be an oil filter problem. I've had a truck filter clog in the past, it was a new filter but I suspect defective as it caused an indicated low pressure on the gage with zero miles on it. Once I changed it the pressure was normal again.

Gooid luck and hopeit helps.

papawheelie
03-22-2009, 08:59 PM
thanks, your description sound reasonable. I neglected to explain that I had some major engine work done about 6 months ago. See video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1n1LlUlFns
I needed a new flywheel and starter because I tried to start the motor with water in it. I had more water than oil in the engine for about 30 minutes. So when I drained the oil at the closest gas station milk ran out. :cry I rode home 2 hours with fresh oil, but same filter. I had milk again when I drained the oil at home. That is when I took it to the dealer for the starter, fly wheel, and about $2000 worth of other work. I'm guessing that there may have been more damage that the dealer missed.

bob1100rtc
03-22-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm sorry to say this sounds expensive.

RandyW
03-24-2009, 07:21 PM
I neglected to explain that I had some major engine work done about 6 months ago.
I needed a new flywheel and starter because I tried to start the motor with water in it. I had more water than oil in the engine for about 30 minutes. So when I drained the oil at the closest gas station milk ran out. :cry I rode home 2 hours with fresh oil, but same filter. I had milk again when I drained the oil at home. That is when I took it to the dealer for the starter, fly wheel, and about $2000 worth of other work. I'm guessing that there may have been more damage that the dealer missed.

Ouch! That may change things drastically to say the least. Hard to say what the 2K of extra work was for, and having no idea how you got water into the oil and not ingested on top of a piston by drawing it in through the air intake (you could still ride it so a good indication that it wasn't in the cylinders) the noise could be a host of things, all bad. Only time I have had water in an engine was by ingesting it on a Ford Ranger through the air intake and dropping it on top of a piston. Very bad results. Being that some time has past since the water you could be looking at bearings, or races, or both going bad to name just a few things. Although I'm not sure how this would indicate by an oil pressure light. I would tend to agree that there may well have been more damage or simply things that were going to fail in time due to the water.

Just me, but I would see it as having a couple of ways to go... Cut your losses and get the bike to a dealer and have them sort it out, not inexpensive. Upside is if it is something like bearings, or something else just starting to go, they may be able to catch it before it becomes more expensive. Other way to go is change the oil and filter and see if the noises or light show up again. If they do show up it's a quick shut down and off to the dealer. Downside of this is you may end up doing more damage. You might get lucky but I would tend to doubt it. If it were me I would probably take it to a dealer, tell them about the past water problem, and get their opinion of what could be wrong and what would need to be done to fix it. They will likely have a better idea than guessing, although it's hard to know without getting into the bits that could be going.

Again, good luck.

papawheelie
03-24-2009, 07:25 PM
how about I trade it in on a new one. :nono Maybe at a different dealer. I'll do it on a day things are running good.

deilenberger
03-25-2009, 04:06 AM
how about I trade it in on a new one. :nono Maybe at a different dealer. I'll do it on a day things are running good.If you feel you can do that - please post the VIN# here for us.